ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #31
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
She's a pretty pig until I straddle her fat ass!

Awww... you took out my smiley, and made me sound all mean!

As a person who parks on the street, and just upgraded from a bike nobody wanted to steal (Triumph) to the hottest target (KTM), I really do know the anxiety!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #32
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

Awww... you took out my smiley, and made me sound all mean!

As a person who parks on the street, and just upgraded from a bike nobody wanted to steal (Triumph) to the hottest target (KTM), I really do know the anxiety!
Jazz62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #33
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.tc.young View Post
take it from me, i'm a hip 23 year old
Don't listen to him, if he's hip I'm an astronaut.

Welcome to NY, when ya planning on coming out to NYShitty so we can mug ya?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #34
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Don't listen to him, if he's hip I'm an astronaut.

Welcome to NY, when ya planning on coming out to NYShitty so we can mug ya?
Well, gotta get out there sometime soon to get a lay of the land, neighborhoods we can afford in Brooklyn, Harlem. Mostly depends on where my wife can score a teaching gig.

There's a good chance I'll be performing at Dizzy's Club Coca Cola and the Iridium in June but I'd like to come out before that and sus things out.

About the mugging, remember I'm a jazz musician so my pockets are usually empty.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #35
elrontx
Outlaw Trail Rider

Oddometer: 631
the Bronx has a few decent neighborhoods and since its part of the mainland NY you can acess upstate alot easier. Riverdales nice but can be expensive, Woodlawns ok, Morris park and throgsneck are still nice for the most part. check out Yonkers just north of the Bronx too. just st 30 miles north you have great street riding.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #36
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
i'm in the bronx/riverdale, just below yonkers.

it is green, there are hiking/run trails thru van cortlandt park, libraries, easy mass transit in manhattan and plenty of folks with dogs!

plus, the hudson river is just a long hill away.

pricey?

rentals are alot less than hipster brooklyn.

(as is neighboring inwood and kingsbridge)

but it is boring up here.

which for me and my family is just how we like it!

i'm a returning rider and can hop on my bike and head up the hudson vaalley for a 2hr ride and all is very good.

my point?

nyc is more than the a few in demand neighborhoods.

good luck to you and your wife.

pm when you get to town and the first coffee/beer is my buy!

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #37
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,552
Quote:

About the mugging, remember I'm a jazz musician so my pockets are usually empty.
HachayalBoded isn't after your money, it's your instrument that he's after. So be careful that he doesn't find you and do this then this and then....
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #38
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrontx View Post
the Bronx has a few decent neighborhoods and since its part of the mainland NY you can acess upstate alot easier. Riverdales nice but can be expensive, Woodlawns ok, Morris park and throgsneck are still nice for the most part. check out Yonkers just north of the Bronx too. just st 30 miles north you have great street riding.
Thanks for the tips. Would be ironic is we wound up around there. I was born at Misericordia Hospital in the Bronx and lived until the age of 4 on Sterling Rd in Yonkers. We moved to Elmsford after that and I've heard it's still beautiful up there. I desperately hope I can manage to keep my 1150GS but the thought of the old girl being torn apart on the street is more than I can bear.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #39
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
i'm in the bronx/riverdale, just below yonkers.

it is green, there are hiking/run trails thru van cortlandt park, libraries, easy mass transit in manhattan and plenty of folks with dogs!

plus, the hudson river is just a long hill away.

pricey?

rentals are alot less than hipster brooklyn.

(as is neighboring inwood and kingsbridge)

but it is boring up here.

which for me and my family is just how we like it!

i'm a returning rider and can hop on my bike and head up the hudson vaalley for a 2hr ride and all is very good.

my point?

nyc is more than the a few in demand neighborhoods.

good luck to you and your wife.

pm when you get to town and the first coffee/beer is my buy!

be well.

rob
Thanks Rob. My dad used to take me to Van Cortland Park all the time when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure that's also where my German grandfather used to meet with his old pals and play soccer. I know NYC is more than just the trendy in-demand places, I tend to avoid them like the plague and I hate hipsters, Chicago is loaded with those phoney bastards. I'm as open as can be and at my age I sort of look forward to boring, at least when it comes to where I rest my head at night. My only thoughts against living that far up is having to deal with let's say hypothetically, getting home on the train at 3am after a gig downtown. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm envisioning and commuting on the bike is much more attractive than the thought of the train. And I will take you up the beverage offer when I get there. If I do indeed wind up doing a couple gigs there in June I'll shoot you a PM.

Ron
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #40
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwickKLR View Post
HachayalBoded isn't after your money, it's your instrument that he's after. So be careful that he doesn't find you and do this then this and then....
LOL - I play piano so...

Pretty sure there is an organ joke in there somewhere but it's escaping me at the mo.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #41
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Sitting here watching Bloomberg on Letterman.

Good lord, he is positively reptilian. He's reminding me a little too much of our own pompous schmuck mayor.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 AM   #42
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,559
Quote:
Sitting here watching Bloomberg on Letterman.

Good lord, he is positively reptilian. He's reminding me a little too much of our own pompous schmuck mayor.
You're talking about this clip?:

Bloomberg comes off with some strange affect. It's like he's talking with his jaw wired shut. I suspect people subconsciously associate that with an emotional rage, just about ready to erupt.

I didn't vote for him the first time he ran. I thought he was a rich guy who had conquered his industry, and wanted to cross "NYC Mayor" off his bucket list. However, he rescued the city from an economic apocalypse in 2002, created the "311" system, and got our financial house in order to such an extent that NYC fared far better than most other cities in America in the past decade.

He stood up for what was right on the issue of "Park 51" (the so-called "ground zero mosque") when few dared to speak the truth so plainly.

His first effort to legislate personal behavior was his ban on smoking in restaurants and bars. Naturally, that's a terrible idea and it will kill the industry. Ten years later, it's a shock to smell smoke when I drink somewhere outside NYC.

He tried to push congestion pricing through the state, and failed. That's an idea which I really think we need to consider in NYC. (Though, I'm pretty unhappy that he based his plan on London's plan, but discarded the parts which exempted motorcycles. )

The soda thing... well, it strikes me as silly. If almost any other politician tried to press such a crazy law, I'd completely dismiss it as BS. The only reason I don't throw it out immediately is because he's been right more than wrong.

Now, if you are using our mayor as a reason to reconsider your move, let me give you a better reason to avoid NYC: His term ends at the end of this year.

Before Bloomberg, NYC had a parade of self-aggrandizing, shallow, inept Mayors. The current slate of candidates seems positively puny, in comparison to the current mayor. Any one of the candidates would gladly sell his mother for two points in the polls. Not one of them has vision or gravitas.

So, hey, when you moving here?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote