Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 AM   #16
jesperd OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebeer54 View Post
As I travelled alone I liked to stay at Hostels and meet up with fellow travelers, I would look at www.hostelworld.com in advance of arriving and put a few places into my GPS. In Odessa I stayed at Antony's Home which was OK for me, it's very central has a gated courtyard which is good security for the bike and in early June there was not many staying there. One problem is accessing some Hostels as you have to either have a code to get in or phone them, in Antony's Home if the main gate is closed you can put your hand through an opening and reach the latch on the inside to open the door in the gate (don't tell anyone!). There's a lot of Hostels close by in that area. Regarding restaurants without a doubt all over Ukraine the best value for money is "Puzata Khata" there's one in Odessa and Lviv just Google the name. It's similar to a canteen with a massive display of food and you just help yourself or they cook it in front of you and then pay after, so there is no having to translate menus. The one in Odessa is on the sixth floor of the Europa shopping centre on Deribasivs ka vul. 21 which is the main tourist place where people strut about, also at one end is usualy where a load of local bikers hang out.
Thanks a lot for the hints. We will take a look at the hostelworld web site and collect a few alternative as you suggest.
jesperd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #17
CRAZY_BG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Hi there. A long time ago I visited Romania and was quite fascinated.
If something can be helpful my travels you can look at it here in the forums

http://www.motoforum.bg/index.php/topic,18136.0.html
Bulgarian. of course if you have any questions I would be happy to answer.
For Croatia, Makedonia

http://www.motoforum.bg/index.php/topic,10993.0.html

, Slovakia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Albania Sarajevo, Mostar can see here in my other topic ..
http://www.motoforum.bg/index.php/topic,56764.0.html
2009 Czech -Hungary 16 day(FJ1200)2010 Balkanika FJ1200
2011 Tunisia 23 day (Fj1200)
CRAZY_BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #18
jesperd OP
Adventurer

Crazy_BG, thanks for the link to those great photos. You know, having the coldest March in 26 years (at least in my region), snow may become a bigger issue than expected, so it is great to know that there are some good options further south. Thanks a lot!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
novack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Hi there

Here is my question regarding the topic (hope this will be useful to topic starter too): what is the best (the most spectacular) way to cross Transalpina and Transfarasan - from north to sound or vice versa?
novack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #20
jesperd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novack View Post
Hi there

Here is my question regarding the topic (hope this will be useful to topic starter too): what is the best (the most spectacular) way to cross Transalpina and Transfarasan - from north to sound or vice versa?
We haven't ridden Transalpina yet, and only the north side of Transfaragasan, so others may me able to help you better.

Here are my 2 cents.

Transfagarasan: If the tunnel at the summit is closed, you would probably prefer the north side as this is where the lake and restaurant is. It is a nice place for a cold beer (or a warm cup of coffee as it can be quite cold up there). So I would recommend the going north to south. Also, I have been told the northen part is the most scenic (although we didn't get to see the south side as the tunnel was shut due to rock slides on the southern part). Going back the same way was awesome as well although it is a bit annoying to end up where you started. Sighisoara is not too far away and is a great place for sight seeing, and not as crowded as Brasov.

Transalpina: We haven't ridden there yet, it is planned for this year. We will be riding south to north as we will try riding the gravel road starting at the top and heading east. It starts at N45 22.823 E23 39.105 and is designated as road 701D on OpenStreetMaps (I'm not sure that is accurate as there is another road with that number too, hence to coord). It is clearly visible on Google Earth, just search the coord. Alternatively we will continue north and ride 7A east. I believe that road is paved.

At the end of the day, I don't think it matters much. If you take your time, stop a couple of times, get off the bike for a couple of pictures, it would great no matter what.

When are you planning on going there?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #21
novack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post

When are you planning on going there?
Hello

Thanks for your input.
I'm not certain about dates at the moment. The initial plan is to travel from north to south at the very end of August, then to Montenegro and back to north a week or so later.

Which month You've been at Transfagarasan and what was the weather there?
novack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
jesperd OP
Adventurer

We were there on June 8th 2012. The weather was great, temp at the top was about 10 Celcius. Not much snow and the roads were cleared from what was left. The link will take you to the Transfagarasan section 9 minutes into to clip.

http://youtu.be/KXumWbidtxE?t=9m

There are lots of other great videos on youtube, I guess you already know :-)

You won't have any problems with the roads in August (at least now with snow).
Old 04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
excTC
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer: 164
Jesperd

I am planning a ride at the same time and place and would be keen to ride with you at least in part if it can work out. Your style of riding sounds similar. I would be leaving from Poland about the same time. My planning is basically a start date and south at this stage. I would need to get a Ukraine visa.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
jesperd OP
Adventurer

Sounds great! Let's talk more to see if we can work it out :-) I'll send you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excTC View Post
Jesperd

I am planning a ride at the same time and place and would be keen to ride with you at least in part if it can work out. Your style of riding sounds similar. I would be leaving from Poland about the same time. My planning is basically a start date and south at this stage. I would need to get a Ukraine visa.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
exotesthrasouden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
great to have an addition

excTC would be great to have an addition on the trip!!! Hopefully works out. We'd both search for a couple more riders but there are not too many people that are keen on taking 3 weeks of vacation for a motorbike trip, those folks are inmates here.
Ryan

- 2009 BMW F800GS
exotesthrasouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
Tigly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Gravel roads in Romania

Hi Jesperd,

The 701D is a nice choice! Also called the "Strategic Road", it follows the mountain ridge (Latoritzei Mountains). West to East is a good approach for a big bike. I've done the road East to West on a KTM 450 and I was thinking that it would have been quite a challenge to go on some up-hills with my KTM 950. But when you descend, it should be much easier. There are several ways down from the ridge but you can go all the way East until the ridge ends.
There's another nice road, following a valley not a ridge. You reach this road by continuing on Transalpina (South to North), passing the 7A paved road, and then turning East after some 20 kms. It's a road that goes to Lake Negovanu and then the town of Sadu and Olt Valley. All gravel from Transalpina to Sadu.
If you need more details about Tabla Butii and the possible gravel roads around there, let me know, I rode the KTM 950 in lots of nice places there.
Cheers
Tigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
jesperd OP
Adventurer

Tigly, this really good information. If snow is a problem, the Lake Negovanu road sounds like a great alternative to 701D.

On Tabla Butii, I was looking if there were some options that would take us east towards Lake Sinu? Right now our route will take us all the way to Intosura Bazaului only to head South along the 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigly View Post
There's another nice road, following a valley not a ridge. You reach this road by continuing on Transalpina (South to North), passing the 7A paved road, and then turning East after some 20 kms. It's a road that goes to Lake Negovanu and then the town of Sadu and Olt Valley. All gravel from Transalpina to Sadu.
If you need more details about Tabla Butii and the possible gravel roads around there, let me know, I rode the KTM 950 in lots of nice places there.
Cheers
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
Tigly
Adventurer

Tabla Butii to Siriu

I just checked with a friend who was there last year and apparently there is a forest road which can take you East straight to Lake Siriu. As you come from Cheia to Pasul Boncuta (the road that takes you to Intorsura Buzaului) you turn right at PAsul Boncuta, climb to Tabla Butii (This part I have done with the big KTM). After Tabla Butii there will be a ramification to the left from the ridge road (apparently it's a newly cut road through the forest, so it may not show in old maps). You go down and follow the road to a valley (This part I have not done). The road will meet in a T junction another gravel road and you go left. Then just follow the road and it will take you straight at the lower end of LAke Siriu (This part I have done too).
My friend will try to send me a map tomorrow and then I will forward it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperd View Post
Tigly, this really good information. If snow is a problem, the Lake Negovanu road sounds like a great alternative to 701D.

On Tabla Butii, I was looking if there were some options that would take us east towards Lake Sinu? Right now our route will take us all the way to Intosura Bazaului only to head South along the 10.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #29
jesperd OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigly View Post
My friend will try to send me a map tomorrow and then I will forward it to you.
Tigly, did you by any chance get some information from your friend? There seems to be some tracks on OpenStrettMaps.org, but I'm not sure if those are the ones you are referring to :-)
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
Tigly
Adventurer

Jesperd, sorry for the late reply. My friend sent me the files but the download link expired, while I was travelling. Should I ask again for them, can you still use them?