User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
passing through.....

well, after a failed attempt at a cross country trip a few months back(KTM had some issues...)
we have decided to go down to the keys for a week and a half or so. So, at this point we have virtually no plans at all. We are headed out next friday (9th) from asheville NC on a ktm adventure and a BMW 800 GS.
Looking for any ideas on what to see, where to stay, eat, drink along the way. We are hoping to camp as much as possible. And niether of us really care for the touristy crap.

We have sorta decided that we want to lollygag down the gulf coast on the way down, and will most likely need to make better time on the way back home(need to be home the following sunday)

So, suggest some stuff to me, open to anything really. what are the can't miss spots?

thanks guys! perhaps we will run into some of you guys on the way down.
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
RichardD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Bike Week

Friday is the 8th . Daytona bike week starts the 9th http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...e-release.aspx
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
DragonNester
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Lollygagging should start in Southwest FL around Sarasota, FL...IMO. Take HWY 41 along the coast...beautiful, white sandy beaches down to Naples. Try to find open air beach bars along the way that locals like for a taste of local seafood and life style. Asking what to see with the stipulation of non-touristy things in FL is like asking for flat ground in the Rocky mts. People go there for the warm, sunny weather and pretty beaches. In the Keys it's for the parties and fishing. Just join in and enjoy the process.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks, i really intend to avoid all of the bike week stuff!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
justcountry04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Gulf coast

if you head south down US 19 around cross city, Fanning Springs area , there are numerous state parks and natural springs in the area. I live about 20 minutes from there and there are tons of little hidden secrets and cool dirt roads found with a little off the beaten path travel . From Chiefland take ALT 27 towards williston and jump on US 41 for a while it is still 2 lane with little traffic and lots of cool roads to explore off it. from there you could connect some back roads on the west side of MArion county (horse country) but stay away from Ocala as there is lots of traffic. After that, you are on your own. Pm if you have Questions
justcountry04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,935
To meet some of the Sandbox asylum up close you might wan to catch these FF Saturday night in Cedar Key
It is still Stone Crab season so the ride we do a couple of time a year though the Everglades for AYCE seafood would be a treat. You have the Squares and Jane's Scenic on the west side and levees to Clewsion on the east side of the Glades.
If you feel the need to bury the Pigs in the sand we will be camping and riding in Ocala NF @ the scrub no offical thread this time but the chatter is in the SAAD drivel thread

jaydee1445 screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 05:12 AM
jaydee1445 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

awesome! looks like our first stop inside Fl will be around cross city saturday evening,as far as distances allow. Any thoughts? anywhere cool to camp? Must see stuff?
manatee springs SP worth a look?
How about cedar key? cool, worth a trip?
Hope we can meet up with some of you guys and get a little insider fun. We will be glad to show anyone around the WNC area....
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,935
South of Cedar Key Is Ozello Key, some call the road out to it Tail of the Grouper.
jaydee1445 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
justcountry04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
must see

Hey XJ I will be around Saturday, I live less than 30 minutes from Cross City if you want to meet up. Manatee springs is a Must see if you havent seen too many springs, especially in the winter time. There are tons of dirt roads and timber property, just be careful not to trespass. If it's not posted, I usually cruise through cautiously. There are some other cool things too see int the area they just arent coming to mind. Give me a shout if you need to use the shop for an oil change. Hell you bring some beer , and you can crash at my place, 10 acres out int he country, plenty of woods or crash in my spair room.
justcountry04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
35xj OP
Studly Adventurer

awesome,thanks for the offer! looks like we are headed down to cedar key to meet up with the guys doing that cross FL rally and camp out.
Looking for things to check out on sunday as we start to head down towards the everglades.
currently looks like we will be crossing into FL on 221 into perryn then south on alt 27? seem reasonable? hows alt 27?