Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #2296
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
What I'd prefer over the IBA, is just them setting up a rally, with one production bike, going from NYC to L.A. straight through, stopping every 10 hours or so to change riders. Make a nice publicity event about it. Run it for 40 hours straight.
2800 miles in 40 hours is a 70 mph overall average.

I think you'd need to add another 10 hour shift in there, and the overall average would be a more realistic 56 mph. Basically, you're talking an organized 50CC.

A finish in the IBA would give them the "10,000 miles in 10-days" slogan to use in an ad campaign. And, lots of panasche in the LD community.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #2297
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Exactly.

Nor is there any obvious reason why anyone would win an IBA event on a Motus, with the stock bodywork.
What does that mean?
IBA #24873
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #2298
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Ever thought that to some people, IBA-type riding is anathema to what they like about riding?

It's also a fringe of a fringe of a fringe for road riders, and conjures up images of beer kegs on the back of Road Kings and FJRs when people who do know about it think of it.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #2299
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Ever thought that to some people, IBA-type riding is anathema to what they like about riding?

It's also a fringe of a fringe of a fringe for road riders, and conjures up images of beer kegs on the back of Road Kings and FJRs when people who do know about it think of it.
I know about it, and I've never conjured those images...

The stupid videos of the bike on the track are anathema to what most sport-tourers do with thier bikes. So, why are they promoting the trackday fringe of a fringe of a fringe?
IBA #24873
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #2300
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post

The stupid videos of the bike on the track are anathema to what most sport-tourers do with thier bikes. So, why are they promoting the trackday fringe of a fringe of a fringe?
Because a lot of riders DO go around a fair amount of bends at a brisk pace for their primary means of motorcycling enjoyment, and a track is an ideal place to film spirited riding. And quite a few riders DO go to trackdays, and even more regularly watch motorcycle racing of some sort and have some passing understanding of how track performance equates to "real-world" performance.

Compared to trackday enthusiasts, back-road blasters and canyon carvers, far fewer slab it for a 1000 mile day to get a license plate bracket, and fewer still compete in the "rarified air" of distance rallies. And almost nobody watches them do it, nor cares about the esoterica of the sport. :)
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #2301
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:
Because a lot of riders DO go around a fair amount of bends at a brisk pace for their primary means of motorcycling enjoyment, and a track is an ideal place to film spirited riding. And quite a few riders DO go to trackdays, and even more regularly watch motorcycle racing of some sort and have some passing understanding of how track performance equates to "real-world" performance.

Compared to trackday enthusiasts, back-road blasters and canyon carvers, far fewer slab it for a 1000 mile day to get a license plate bracket, and fewer still compete in the "rarified air" of distance rallies. And almost nobody watches them do it, nor cares about the esoterica of the sport. :)
In your opinion, what would be a good way to demonstrate the touring side of this new sport-touring bike?
IBA #24873
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #2302
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
In your opinion, what would be a good way to demonstrate the touring side of this new sport-touring bike?
Maybe ride it around the country for a year or so to different events..
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #2303
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 809
Quote:

You have a common, but slightly misguided view of LD riding. You might be amazed at the places I've been and things I've seen far from any interstate slab, during endurance rallies. I rode to FL the day after Christmas, with my wife, just moseying along and took 4 days to get there, spent new year's eve/day in NOLA and came home to UT in another 4 days. Great week plus on the bikes, despite getting stuck in TX for an extra day due to snow and road closures.

The segment you describe are the riders I avoid. Too many tee shirt and shorts guys trying to ride that same corner faster than before. 10/10ths on the street? No thank you.

Yep, it's a small minority. (LD riding), But there are people that go places on motorcycles, and then there are the guys that ride the same roads back and forth. I can't help but look upon the riders that tells me he can't ride more than 100 miles a day with pity. They miss so much of the world out there.

Track days are fun. But you don't buy a $30k bike for a track bike, do you? Motus is selling Super Sport Touring. So Tour. That means it needs to actually be capable of going places w/o a dealer network to service it or fix it. I can't help but think they are a couple of old guys w/o the stones to ride full on Sport bikes any more, so they built these. Didn't think it through well, but made a nice, old school bike all the same. Pushrods? Mmm, okay. Chain? 'cause you get more direct power and less drivetrain loss? Like that matters when you can't use all the power you have to begin with on the street.

Right now it's moot. Until we actually see bikes in showrooms, it's just more vaporware. I think it would be great if they can get off the ground. Hopefully they make it and it doesn't end up with only a few bikes out there in museums and garages like Jay Leno's.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #2304
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Because a lot of riders DO go around a fair amount of bends at a brisk pace for their primary means of motorcycling enjoyment, and a track is an ideal place to film spirited riding. And quite a few riders DO go to track days, and even more regularly watch motorcycle racing of some sort and have some passing understanding of how track performance equates to "real-world" performance.

Compared to track day enthusiasts, back-road blasters and canyon carvers, far fewer slab it for a 1000 mile day to get a license plate bracket, and fewer still compete in the "rarified air" of distance rallies. And almost nobody watches them do it, nor cares about the esoterica of the sport. :)
Track days ARE FUN but I would not pick a Motus for a track day machine, But I have also seen BMW G/S's and a Harley Softail at a track day. So with that being said you are correct that some track time would help with understanding the bikes limits.

Are you are making a blanket statement that the 50,000+ IBA members are not also backroad blasters, canyon carvers and track day enthusiasts

From my experience, I have found my fellow IBA members to be the most rabid of M/C owner, many own multiple bikes and many do off road and track days and enjoy some of our "rarified air" distance rallies.
I am happy nobody is watching us do our rides, I do them for myself

I think that even though most modern bikes can go 10-11 thousand miles without a major issue, It is still a big accomplishment to finish an IBR, I feel that my Buell would have a slim chance, because it has yet to go 10k without a major issue.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #2305
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Right now it's moot. Until we actually see bikes in showrooms, it's just more vaporware. I think it would be great if they can get off the ground. Hopefully they make it and it doesn't end up with only a few bikes out there in museums and garages like Jay Leno's.
My hope is that the Motus is like Henry Fords first cars, A little history lesson.
Henry kept delaying the delivery of his cars to get them to his satisfaction. To the point that his investors kicked him out. That company became the Cadillac motor company. Henry then started over and put his product out when he was ready and the rest is history.

Not saying that Motus is the next Ford Motor Company, but I applaud them for waiting till they are ready to produce the best product they can.

But they also could be vaporware ..... I hope not

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #2306
Worroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Doing an IB(or another form of LD rally) isn't to show that "if you buy one you can too", it's to prove that the engine/chassis is solid. Even if they just ride it around a circle track for 24 hours straight. Even better do this with it - http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/08/24...-speed-record/

Really prove the motor. Do something bold. It is the American style to go bold or go home.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #2307
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:

You are a new motorcycle manufacturer at Barber and you won't make a video going around that track? Although I am disappointed in the price of the Motus, those guys have tested the crap out of that bike.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #2308
jrflanne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Exactly.

It was a good move for Ducati, with Gary Eagan, because Ducs were so widely believed to be fragile.
On an ST. And they still didn't sell.
jrflanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #2309
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
What does that mean?

The angles are not directly comparable, but the idea is there.

The Motus bodywork is feel-the-breeze.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 AM   #2310
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Quote:

The angles are not directly comparable, but the idea is there.

The Motus bodywork is feel-the-breeze.
I guess I'd better quit riding long distance on my Guzzi LeMans, then...
IBA #24873