Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,851
These little guys are crazy fun... "parking lot warriors". My favorite thing to do with this little guy is go out to the large local parking lot that's always empty, drop some of my tennis ball cones and go to town!

Harry - I thought about going up to 100cc, but seeing as she has 2200 original miles, I literally *just* passed Kawi's "break-in" period! Plus, there's a salt flat class at Boneville for under 100cc, stock motor and frame... and I'd really like to do that someday the sprockets are indeed used, but have very low miles and are in very nice shape. Sooner or later she'll get new ones, but I'm gonna kill these first. The baffle has been cleaned, and since she's only got a bit over 2k, the rotary valve is in great shape.

When I was daily driving her she never missed a beat, runs like a top! In fact I started her yesterday for the first time in about 6 months, she fired up on the 2nd kick

Kawi claimed a peak of 10.5 ponies at 8 grand for these 90 SS's. She scoots pretty good!

Mule, that sounds like a kick in the pants! My next project is an exhaust, just not sure how to do it...

I also have this guy, a 75 Kawi MC1M, 90cc (basically the same engine) but 14 and 16" wheels... old school midi bike! Her resto is just getting finished up... and this one IS for sale!

Before

During

MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Very cool build,. It is amazing how many folks on ADV are into vintage VW's as well.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Very cool build,. It is amazing how many folks on ADV are into vintage VW's as well.
I know! I've been disappointed in the VW thread though...

Mine's just waiting for a freshly built engine

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Here's mine

VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #20
aaronanalog
mopedder

Oddometer: 4
Bump for Cafe bikes

Yep... I'm a noob here, but I have one of these G3ssD bikes that may be getting cafe'd out too. What size Capacitors can be used instead of the battery ? I know someone posted 2- 6v caps but what are the numbers on those so I can get a pair of 'em
aaronanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

The 6V caps were not enough, as the charging system puts out 7-8 to charge the battery my 6V caps blew up. I also tried the high voltage cap and it blew my lights. Right now I'm running on a 6V (basically flashlight) battery, we'll see how that goes.

Didn't realize there are no pictures of it completed

Old 06-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #22
aaronanalog
mopedder

Oddometer: 4
Crap !!!! There has to be something to use besides a battery.

I have a 74 G3ssD that I want to Cafe. I really wish I had the type of air filter that you have instead of the newer style one but I'm probably going to make something more low profile for it.

aaronanalog screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 07:09 AM
aaronanalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:23 AM   #23
Dragonflylily
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
What a talented group of individuals. Your recycling is true art MiteyF. Love those old VW's.

08 DL1000
Dragonflylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #24
G3ssWoes
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Fiberglass Seat

Beautiful build. This bike definitely inspired me to build up my g3ss as a cafe. I was wondering if you still had the red seat from your first build. If so, and you were willing to part with it, I'd be very interested in taking it off your hands. -Adam
G3ssWoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #25
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks! Unfortunately, I sold the red seat to another guy "inspired" by my bike when I did the frame up.

And I had to part with the old girl about a month ago to fund my 5000 mile ride

Look for a thread about my 250 Kawi F8 'tracker project coming up soon though
Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #26
dgramo
dgramo

Oddometer: 38
I have been reading over this post as I recently acquired a G3SS myself. I really like the look of removing the side panels and relocating the electrics. Can you provide some more insight as to wiring and the capacitors you used? This would be a big help.
dgramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #27
408Fairmont
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thats a killer little bike, good job! I love the small bikes, and I want one to do almost the same as you, a little cafe bike. Just for booting around town and country rides. I dont trust myself on a big ci bike, I am a bad man... LOL

I was thinking the same thing about VW's when I saw the VW wheels. I am restoring my sisters 73, I just welded the floors in, and she rebuilt the engine with my Dad, so soon it will go together. You bug looks killer too.
408Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
I know! I've been disappointed in the VW thread though...

Mine's just waiting for a freshly built engine

This thing is brilliant! Just the right mix of old school touring & hot rod. Love the red wheels.

Rotary valve Kawasaki's rule!
We should start a new thread just for them.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #29
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been a few years since I built (and then sold) this bike, but I still get emails about it. I guess it's found its way around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgramo View Post
I have been reading over this post as I recently acquired a G3SS myself. I really like the look of removing the side panels and relocating the electrics. Can you provide some more insight as to wiring and the capacitors you used? This would be a big help.
The capacitors were wired in the same way you'd wire a battery, as they basically serve the same purpose - they operate as a surge tank.

408/Jamie - Thanks! Although I'd seen a few too many flat black/red wheeled bugs out there, so I went a different direction with it last summer. She looks a bit more like this now :-)

Note, that this was before my hood was painted, and I now have bumpers

Hell, I even went a different direction with the engine!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #30
Ian Robinson
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
hey Mitey, really like the effort you put in on the G3SS. Nothing sings like a little rotary valve single & the cafe look will never go out of fashion.

Mulee, re Kawa 100 "Greenstreak" in Australia they were called "Centurions" I worked for the Queensland( Australia) Kawa importers. The best I saw on the dyno tag was 18.75hp. we raced a couple on the dirt and bitumen. ( Dunlop Triangluars, rear sets, glass tank , clip ons) great fun & very fast for a 100cc. I have one in pieces on the bench at the moment, Should be able to get into it within the next month or so.

And VWs... My wife had a 63 when I met her & we bought a new 73. Should have kept the 63.
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote