User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
sstout OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
transam trail for 2014

hey guys, looking for some info to help plan a trip to do the transam trail next year... we're from the UK & have never biked in the states so we have a few q's if anyone fancies taking the time to help out...

So questions for you would be,

1. Could you recommend somewhere/someone to talk to about buying dirt bikes bikes over there in south eastern tennessee?

We had ideas about bikes around 400cc to maybe a 650cc, KTM, Suzuki, Honda etc, can you recommend a particular model which is more readily available in the US & suggested price ranges for used bikes?

Do we need to have the bike registered at a US address if purchased over there & how long/how much does this take/cost?

Do you know if a hotel address would be ok for this?

Most of the bikes suitable for these kind of trips have a range of around 100 miles so I gather from the transam trail website that the eastern section shouldn't be a problem for this, but for the western section, what do most people do, carry an extra fuel container or fit a larger capacity fuel tank?

if its fit the larger tank is there somewhere local where this can be done before we head out on the trail?

People from overseas who buy bikes in the US would then want to sell them on after the trip, can you recommend any good places to do this in Oregon?

There are a fair few q's here so please feel free to answer just 1 or some as any local knowledge will always be useful...

thanks in advance for any help offered guys...

cheers
steve
sstout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 247
Dont think I can answer all the questions but mite offer a little info.

Bikes: as far as which bike would be a personal thing, depends on your likes/dislikes, size & riding ability, with most you listed all have thire following & parts & dealers should be easy to fing if needed, if plan on buying a used bike thers always good bikes for sale in the classifieds on ADV or other sites no to mention craigslist.

Do a search on here & ther should be mountains of info pull up.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Good way to look for bikes

Check out www.bikefinds.com as a good way for finding a bike.

I would probably avoid a KTM as the oil change interval is too frequent. People have done it, but it's a hassle.

You're looking for rock solid reliable. Suzuki DR650, DRZ400S, Yamaha WR250R, XT250, Kawasaki KLX250S, Honda XR650L or plated XR400.

The 250's will make it, nice and light, but more of a struggle power wise especially for the carb ones.

Big gas tanks are nice, but you can get by out west with a 2 gallon can if you have a luggage rack to mount it on. You can buy it when you get to Colorado or Utah. Throw it away or give it away when you finish.

Pack light!!!!

Rode with an Englishman in 2007 from Telluride to Eureka NV. He bought a DR650 on the east coast, rode the TAT and in NV, sold it on west coast. Brought his riding gear and saddlebags from home, was here 2 months total. Was cheaper than shipping his bike back and forth.

Get the charts/tracks ahead of time, look it over and be familiar with it. USE A GPS!!!! Garmin 60cx,76cx,62,78,Montana, Oregon.... something from Garmin along those lines. NUVI doesn't really cut it, ZUMO is more street. Use old Road & Rec for maps or Ibycus USA from GPSfiledepot.com Don't use TOPO. City Nav is OK.

Have fun!
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Subscribed. Looking forward to reading of your adventure.
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
braunj
braunj

Oddometer: 28
Doing it this year

I'm doing it end-to-end solo this year leaving on 3 June 2013. When I get back I'll help you plan and buy/sell a bike here in the US if you'll help me buy/sell a bike in the UK.
I'll help you no matter what but I've wanted to ride through England, France, Spain, and Morocco for a long time.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstout View Post
1. Could you recommend somewhere/someone to talk to about buying dirt bikes bikes over there in south eastern tennessee?

We had ideas about bikes around 400cc to maybe a 650cc, KTM, Suzuki, Honda etc, can you recommend a particular model which is more readily available in the US & suggested price ranges for used bikes?
It's been a while, but maybe this fella can help? He did fly his bike from the UK but maybe he could help with some of your other questions. We did the trail thru Moab on the same bike, worked well.