User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,056
dudes....

this is one of the best so far....love your writing style, great story telling.

What can be said about this:

"So I haven’t updated my ride report in about a week now but I’ve been really busy with school, relaxing, drinking cheap rum, and generally having a great fucking time"

It's awesome man.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Oddometer: 103
Washed my bike today. more to come.
johnsonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Day thirty eight: 2-22-12
Today was our last day of Spanish school and last night was the last night at our fancy hotel. We found another hostel to stay in for two nights in the main plaza of town. We had planned to go back to hostel villa esthela because its cheap and clean and nice, but they were booked up until Sunday. So after school we packed up and went to our new home. Andy finially changed his leaky petcock.

Then we went out to celebrate. At the bar we met up with our new ADV friends and had a bunch of 5Q rum and cokes at ocelot and then on to monoloco for some food and more drinks.

Day thirty nine: 2-23-12
Woke up not feeling great today, not sure why, but had shit to do and places to be. The guy david from CAtours here in Antigua told us the location to one of his rides called the “dirt river tour” and so we went out in search of some good quality jungle off road. It was awesome! Lots of small river crossings and not much of a road.

Then we headed back to town and grabbed some cheap food at our new taco joint El Faro, the cheapest place in Antigua we have found so far.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #34
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

any ideas?

we are headed up toward puerto barrios and crossing into honduras from the north. then staying at a place called D&D brewery on lago yojoa that marnix and lazon told us about. we are trying to find a place to stay one more night in honduras in the south before crossing the border. we have looked at san lorenzo as a possibility but really have no idea. any suggestions?

johnsonal screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 08:25 AM
Old 02-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
Eclecticmale
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Hey guys...are you drinking tonight? Looks like you two had some fun at those river crossings...my VSTROM could not handle all of that stuff. I will see you tonight.

2009 Triumph Scrambler
2011 SUZUKI DL650 VSTROM
Eclecticmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #36
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclecticmale View Post
Hey guys...are you drinking tonight? Looks like you two had some fun at those river crossings...my VSTROM could not handle all of that stuff. I will see you tonight.
Oh man I had a few drinks at he hostel but we are getting up early to head toward semuc champey. It was really nice to meet the rainman and have some drinks with you. Safe travels and I will be following your RR.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #37
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggin2 View Post
this is one of the best so far....love your writing style, great story telling.

What can be said about this:

"So I haven’t updated my ride report in about a week now but I’ve been really busy with school, relaxing, drinking cheap rum, and generally having a great fucking time"

It's awesome man.
thanks for the love ben. Hope the rest of the rr stays on par
Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #38
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

lost my power cord. really slow internet. a bunch of stuff to come soon!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Day forty and forty one: 2-24-13, 2-25-13
Andrew wasn’t feeling well today so I went out and walked around the city for a bit. I went down to the only motorcycle shop I could find to try and get some oil but they of course were closed. So instead I went to the street market and got a shirt. Nothing to exciting then back to the hostel for drinks with some friends I met at the rooftop bar last night. Next day woke up, andy still wasn’t feeling well so I had another day of wandering around the city, eating local street food, doing a little internet research to find our next few destinations, and drinks on the rooftop bar. Marnix and Lazon made it here and we went out to diner and traded stories about our travels. They will stay here for a few days but we have plans to head to Semuc Champy in the morning and get in a little more off road riding in Guatemala.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #40
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Day forty three: 2-26-13
Woke up early to get on the road to Semuc Champey. Riding through the high altitudes kinda bogs down the motorcycle and makes it a little slower than it already is, but no problems. Guatemala city was a fun one to try and navigate through. We got a little turned around a few times even with GPS. About 25 miles before Semuc the off road starts. But I wouldn’t call it off road as much as I’d call it super shitty road. There were a few parts I almost lost it in the super slick clay mud but managed to stay upright the whole time. Got to Semuc and found El Portal hostel to find the clear blue water I had seen in pictures was more of a dirty brown. We were disappointed… until the nice girl camping next to us informed us the pools were a short hike up the road. Awesome! Semuc Champey is a natural bridge where the main river flows underground for maybe ¼ mile and there are these beautiful clear-blue pools on top. Went for the hike, took some photos and even managed to sneak around the fence and get a look at where the river goes underground.

Day forty four: 2-27-13

Today we have about another fifty miles of shit-road ahead of us on our shortcut do Rio Dulce where we have found a hostel within a reasonable distance to the border crossing into Honduras. After getting lost a few times and asking locals, who had no fucking idea and would always say “yes that way”, we found our way to the “highway” which was also dirt for portions. On the way there Andy found a little more of that slick mud going around a corner too fast and went down pretty hard. No damage to Andy, a little to his mirrors, but none to the bike. Sweet. We found Rio Dulce and the Backpackers Hostel and settled in.

Now the backpackers is in an awesome location and is cheap! But the rooms are kinda small and the food a bit expensive. That being said all the procedes from this hostel go to a great cause; Casa Guatemala a house for abused and abandoned children. www.casa-guatemala.org, check it out. Since it was for a good cause I decided to sit around and donate via beers while I fished off the dock.

Day forty five: 2-28-13
Didn’t sleep to well last night and was up before sunrise, which is a good thing because we have a long ride and a border crossing today. Got everything together and headed toward Honduras. The border was fairly painless. No big mobs of people trying to sell you shit, no money exchangers bothering you, the only strange thing was when exiting Guatemala the place to export your bike is 6k from where you exit yourself. But there was no one at the Honduras crossing.

And the people were very nice for this place (Honduras) being the homicide capital of the world. Finially made it to the Caribbean!

Drove straight through the city of San Pedro Sula, which is supposedly the most dangerous city in the homicide capital of the world with no issues, and on to lake Yoajo where D&D bewery is located. D&D was awesome!

The beer is by far the best beer I have ever tasted. We had a few and went down to a local coffee plantation that lets you tour their grounds.

It was kinda cool but no coffee and most of the plants weren’t in season. More beers, then bed.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #41
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Day forty six: 3-1-13
Woke up and headed to a waterfall that we heard you could swim into a cave system behind.

The waterfall was awesome but right when we got there it started raining. So we hiked around a bit and headed back to D&D. Now this was the first rain I have seen in 46 days and the oil-covered roads became an ice skating rink. I didn’t wear any of my gear so I had to take it really slow on the ride home. Then we decided rather than wait it out we would try to ride ahead of it so we hit the road. Only rained for ½ hour or so then it got really hot toward the pacific side of Honduras. We pulled into the border town of Cholutecca and found a hotel.

Day forty seven: 3-2-13
This is the traffic you run into in Honduras. I couldn't pull my clutch while holding my camera and ended up killing the bike.

The crossing into Nicaragua was shit! The road was 50 miles of potholes eight inches deep. And not the fun potholes you can dodge around and make a game of, shithole potholes that are unavoidable. Then the kids at the border just wont leave you the fuck alone, and not in a sad way, in a get the fuck out of here way.

We finally got to Leon and found a pretty awesome hostel and partied with a guy, Barry, who we met from New York. The beer, hostel, smokes, everything is CHEAP in Nicaragua. I like it here. Their motto should be “Nicaragua, better than it looks”.

Day forty eight: 3-3-13
Woke up hung over in Leon and hit the road. Staying another day here would have been nice but we wanted to get to San Juan del Sur and relax for a few days before heading to the awesome volcano island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. The ride was shit. A bunch of potholes combined with the road suddenly turning back and fourth to dirt. Then when we finally hit good pavement, about 70 miles later, the wind picked up heavily and started blowing us all over the damn road!

But we made it, found a hostel and grabbed some seafood happy to be back on the beach after being inland for some time now. Andy didn’t feel to well but I celebrated with some rum and cokes. The wind continued to howl throughout the night as I laid in bed hoping the hotel wouldn’t blow over.

johnsonal screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:54 AM
Old 03-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 319
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonal View Post

Agree , awesome.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #43
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Agree , awesome.
thanks man. see you in a few days!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #44
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Day forty nine: 3-4-13
Got a lot of shit done today. Caught up pretty much on my rr, did a lot of internet research, fixed some little things that needed some attention, sent out some emails. All while relaxing in the sun drinking rum and cokes. Went down to the beach and walked around the town a bit. Got some good food. Nothing to exciting and no riding but overall a productive day.

Here is a photo of the sunset over the beach with the fishing boats in the harbor and some ominous clouds rolling over from behind

Day fifty: 3-5-13
Woke up and went to the hardware store to try and find a bolt to replace the one that fell out of my helmet. Of course they didn’t have anything so I just borrowed one from the visor and took the visor off. Ran into Bob who is somehow related to Andrew and the one who told us to visit this place. We are going to meet him down at the beach later for diner and drinks. Was planning on going fishing today but this guy Jim, who is getting a motorcycle adventure touring company going down here, told me the fishing was shit right now. Damnit. Oh well I guess I have to just relax all day in paradise. Later we went down to a bar on the beach to meet up with Bob. He seems to have a pretty awesome deal here. He has a house here and goes back to Oregon in the summer to fish and golf. Awesome. After a few beers we ran into barry, who we met and partied with in Leon a few days ago. He was back down to meet a friend from New York. We didn’t hang out much but I’m sure this wont be the last time we see Barry.
Barry:

Day fifty one: 3-6-13
Set out early for Ometepe, an island in the middle of Lake Nicaragua. The ferry was a huge pain in the ass. You have to stop and pay people like three times but it only ends up being about seven bucks total. Some guy in an official looking shirt figured he could try and make us pay 10 bucks for some bogus shit but we weren’t having it. People all throughout central America have been trying to screw us out of money and we both don’t put up with it. Im not afraid to make a fucking scene. After unsuccessfully bothering us for 15 minutes he went and apperantly told the lady at the cafeteria we would buy him a beer grabbed one and walked off. I told the lady there was no fucking way was paying for a beer for some fucking asshole trying to swindle me out of money. The security guard that wasn’t doing shit when the guy wouldn’t leave me alone then chased the guy down and made him pay for the beer.We pulled our bikes right into the cafeteria.

Anyways, arrived at the island and drove around the top of the island, a dirt road mostly, to the other side where we found a nice place to stay pretty cheap. Along the way Andy picked up a nail and we had our first flat of the trip.

No problem a quick repair and we were back on the road.

Then went down to this natural spring that wasn’t awesome, but it is a river flowing down between two volcanos that make an island in the middle of a lake, so I guess that’s kinda cool.

Lots of fucking bugs here. But I did see a couple monkeys! no pics though they were to quick.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #45
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,062
I climbed Ometempe to basically the top, that was scary & I was suprized at how hot the rock was when you basically climbing almost straight up and down, it was more scary climbing down.

nice ride report.