Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
rackdaddy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
76 honda 2 stroke help

Evening all,

Rebuilding a 76 Honda Mr 175, I have the machine cranking and running for about 1 min at a time. Very hard to start usaully wheres me out before it cranks over. I get all excited when she fires up then crappes out on me. Rebuilt the carb, cleaned it all out. Had alot of blow-by when i got it. removed head cleaned it all out, fresh oill and gas fuel lines, pet...etc.
Seems that it dies as soon as it warms up could the crank seals cause this. trying not to open up the crank if its not necessary. If the seals are leaking it isnt very bad.. (not alot of oil buildup underneath)
Anyone have any EASY ANSWERS.
Thanks for any input
rackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
stainlesscycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,123
could be low compression. is there lotsa dark spots below the rings on the piston?
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
It's 37 years old. There are no easy answers.

Start with checking the compression. Should be at least 90PSI if not more. Must be at least 60 PSI to support combustion.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,920
Hard starting in a 2 stroke can be a symptom of low compression. Leaking seals can show up as uncontrollable high-rpm run-on or lean running due to an air leak, or lots of smoke from the transmission oil being sucked into the crankcase. I'd start by checking the compression. Good luck and let us know what you find.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
I had one years ago , got it for cheap . Didn't run too well . So I rebuilt it and in the process I found somebody's extra strange port job . When I got it all together it still didn't run too well . I finally cut the expansion chamber apart and found some of the baffles had broken loose and was limiting exhaust flow . Welded it all back together and she ran as good as she could with the strange port job . Nothing in the high RPM , but would pull like a four stroke just off idle . If it isn't your crank seals , remove the exhaust and see if there is anything rattling around inside . Good luck !
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
mudgepondexpress
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,141
Same with my old MR175...the pipe was plugged with carbon and the baffle had somewhat come apart. The easy way to clean out the pipe is with 2 feet of wire rope and a drill. Untwist the rope at least 6 nches and then insert in the pipe. Start drilling and moving the rope in and out slowly. This should knock a most of the carbon out. You can shorten the rope as you go along so it is managable as you get near the headpipe.

Pull the baffle out and soak it in carb cleaner, then rinse with water.

I hate to say this but the MR was underpowered and overweight. IT's ate my bike for breakfast even when it was running perfect, it was embarassing to own in the 70's.

Kenny
mudgepondexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
I hate to say this but the MR was underpowered and overweight. IT's ate my bike for breakfast even when it was running perfect, it was embarassing to own in the 70's.

Kenny
This is so true , as on its best day it wouldn't outrun a good 125 . The only place mine would out do almost every other bike was on slimy hill climbs (probably the port job) . Started out naming mine Gohmer Pile , later shortened it to Gomez . Used to unload it from my high trailer by releasing the straps and kicking it off to the ground . Some KTM guys watched me do that one day with their jaws hanging down . A short time later they were trying to get up a nice muddy hill climb without success and I just rode right up like it was no big deal . They looked a bit sad . Also with the air intake under the seat it was great for deep water crossings . It would do a nice 40' crossing up to the top of the forks . I beat that bike and it wouldn't die .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote