User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #1816
yogibiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Cost of pipes

Not very important, but I posted a video of aftermarket 4 into 4 system from Pipemasters. This was maybe two months ago. They were quoted to me at 1950.00 plus 200.00 shipping from Aus. To North Carolina. Another person was quoted at somewhere around 1600.00 I believe. Still expensive, but 3000.00 or more is way high.
yogibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #1817
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Just noticed from the pictures that the CB1100 has a hydraulic clutch. Nice. My 01 Thunderbird had a hydraulic clutch and it was very smooth.

It's definitely a gorgeous bike. Unfortunately I won't be in the market for another motorcycle for at least a year, so I'm hoping this one hangs on until then (although to be honest I'd rather buy a lightly-used model than a new one anyway.)
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #1818
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50 View Post
As has been mentioned here, some are saying $10k is too expensive, 88HP isn't enough, etc, etc... I decided to check out an equivalent size roadster, and chose the R1200R.

It has more HP, 110. It has fancy suspension both front and rear, It has easier to find 17" tires, and it sells for $13,975.00 plus any accessories. It will do 125+mph, but I'll bet the 1100 will too, but who wants to travel at those speeds on a nekked bike for any length of time? It is a beautiful bike, if you like the BMW look, which I do, but is not a beautiful retro, like the 1100.

For someone who wants a standard, go most anywhere, inexpensive to own and ride motorcycle, the 1100 is the perfect machine. Not as fancy as the 1200R, but with a $4+K difference in price, that 4 into 4, $3,000 exhaust system could be added, and still have money left over for hundreds of gallons of gas to enjoy.

I have an R1200RT, a great motorcycle, but if my choice was between a CB1100 or an R1200R, I'd go with the 1100 every time, and know what a great deal and motorcycle I owned. tomp dd50
An R1200R is a really neat bike. Thats what I rented in Europe. Light weight, plenty of power, awesome front brakes, good trans, gear indicator, good suspension. My only complaint was, well I have several, first they are geared to the moon 5 th and 6th are really overdrives and the only place I used them was on the autobahn running in excess of 100 mph. Secondly they are absurdly expensive over here, like $15 grand. Add another $1500 or so for Bmws luggage, and theres still no wind protection...plus Beemer dealers are few and far between and maintenance is expensive. Still, I seriously considered buying one until I found out the CB 1100 was finally coming to the U.S. Other than the shaft drive, I think the CB 1100 will actually be superior to the R1200R for my uses.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #1819
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Just noticed from the pictures that the CB1100 has a hydraulic clutch. Nice. My 01 Thunderbird had a hydraulic clutch and it was very smooth.

It's definitely a gorgeous bike. Unfortunately I won't be in the market for another motorcycle for at least a year, so I'm hoping this one hangs on until then (although to be honest I'd rather buy a lightly-used model than a new one anyway.)
Somehow, I skipped over that detail. I was on a long trip once and a friends 1400 Suzuki Intruder lost his clutch in 100 plus degree weather. I am not sure to this day what the cause of it was but after it cooled off it came back. The bike was new also. Im no expert on the subject but a cable operated system is much more simple. My Sportster had a very easy clutch pull with no hydraulics. I am not crazy about this system but it is what it is. Perhaps one of you gurus can tell me why hydrualics are better.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #1820
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
Somehow, I skipped over that detail. I was on a long trip once and a friends 1400 Suzuki Intruder lost his clutch in 100 plus degree weather. I am not sure to this day what the cause of it was but after it cooled off it came back. The bike was new also. Im no expert on the subject but a cable operated system is much more simple. My Sportster had a very easy clutch pull with no hydraulics. I am not crazy about this system but it is what it is. Perhaps one of you gurus can tell me why hydrualics are better.
The Suzuki having problems with a hydraulic clutch would seem to me to be point data, unless someone can show that it was a problem with that model. The hydraulic line was probably routed too close to engine heat, or it could have just been partiallyfull of air or low fluid.

The Honda, on the other hand, I'm not too worried about. Reviewers, BTW, have remarked how smooth the clutch is on the cb1100.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #1821
OldF7Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
The Suzuki having problems with a hydraulic clutch would seem to me to be point data, unless someone can show that it was a problem with that model. The hydraulic line was probably routed too close to engine heat, or it could have just been partiallyfull of air or low fluid.

The Honda, on the other hand, I'm not too worried about. Reviewers, BTW, have remarked how smooth the clutch is on the cb1100.
The problem with the Suzi occured sitting in stop and go traffic and it was hot let me tell you. We were all about to die. He had the clutch in and it learched forward as if he snapped the clutch. I had the same thing happen on an old Chevy S10 truck except my clutch didnt come back. I lost the clutch cylinder with zero warning.

The car companies use the hydraulic system for easier clutch engagement ect but I see no advantage other than that. And, I owned one of the last Mustangs without it and the pedal effort was very low to begin with and I see no use for a hydraulic clutch system.
OldF7Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #1822
The other Ferret
Motorcycle nut

Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldF7Guy View Post
The problem with the Suzi occured sitting in stop and go traffic and it was hot let me tell you. We were all about to die. He had the clutch in and it learched forward as if he snapped the clutch. I had the same thing happen on an old Chevy S10 truck except my clutch didnt come back. I lost the clutch cylinder with zero warning.

The car companies use the hydraulic system for easier clutch engagement ect but I see no advantage other than that. And, I owned one of the last Mustangs without it and the pedal effort was very low to begin with and I see no use for a hydraulic clutch system.
Well when I worked in the industry from 70 to 89, we had walls filled with cables and people carried spares on vacation because they tended to dry out(remember dri- slide lubricant with the little bb inside and the long metal nozzle? ), quit working and the ends ( barrels) would pull off. I've ridden home several times using vice grips to either pull in a clutch or open and close the throttle. Later cables had a teflon coating which put an end to most of it, but other than your buddies experience Ive never heard of a hydraulic operated clutch failing, especially if they are bled every couple years and new fluid put in. I have no issues with cable operated clutches or hydraulically operated clutches, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.
The other Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #1823
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by The other Ferret View Post
Well when I worked in the industry from 70 to 89, we had walls filled with cables and people carried spares on vacation because they tended to dry out(remember dri- slide lubricant with the little bb inside and the long metal nozzle? ), quit working and the ends ( barrels) would pull off. I've ridden home several times using vice grips to either pull in a clutch or open and close the throttle. Later cables had a teflon coating which put an end to most of it, but other than your buddies experience Ive never heard of a hydraulic operated clutch failing, especially if they are bled every couple years and new fluid put in. I have no issues with cable operated clutches or hydraulically operated clutches, so it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

I remember years ago, EX500 guys would zip tie a new clutch cable to the current clutch cable. That way they would not be stranded and could replace the cable in no time. If I remember right, the cable took a 90 degree turn right at the lever and that's where they always broke. It wasn't a matter of "if" it was "when" it broke.

Personally, I've never had a problem with either a cable or hydraulic clutch.
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #1824
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Already on Ebay..............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-N...orcev4exp=true
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #1825
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
$9,049 -- I wonder why so cheap?
Isn't MSRP like $9,999?
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #1826
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
$9,049 -- I wonder why so cheap?
Isn't MSRP like $9,999?
Cheap, indeed.

I called him over a month ago. You have to go down there and physically take ownership of the bike. He can't ship it.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #1827
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Cheap, indeed.

I called him over a month ago. You have to go down there and physically take ownership of the bike. He can't ship it.

It's not just this dealer. That same rule applies for any/all American Honda dealers. AH stipulates in their dealer agreement that all new bike transactions must be done in person.
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #1828
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Excuse to ride to take that long, one-way road trip! Seriously, that's not a problem at all, it's an OPPORTUNITY!
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #1829
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
Excuse to ride to take that long, one-way road trip! Seriously, that's not a problem at all, it's an OPPORTUNITY!
+1 ...... I like the way you think.

Regards, Paul
Old 03-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #1830
Dav101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
The Ebay listing? That's Honda of Russellville Arkansas - a big boy honda dealer. Last year the day before Easter I was wondering around on the web and ran across an ebay listing from them on a CB1000R. It was a new listing and had to be a mistake with the price they advertised but I called them and inquired, and asked about their hidden fees. Long story short, after I got off the phone with them I went down to the garage and put their address in my GPS and discovered if I left at that very momement I could make it there with an hour and 6 minutes before they closed for the day. I stopped thinking and hitched up the trailer and grabbed what I needed, - only stopping for gas along the way from St Louis. Walked in their dealership 5 minutes before they were to close (I forgot to factor in stopping for gas along the way). I apologized but they were very accomodating, true to their word, - no extra fee's. They told me people drive great distances all the time to buy their bikes. They are the real deal and I can't say enough positive things about them. No shipping fee, no prep fee, no frivolous fees to add to the price they offer the bikes for. You just have to pay tax in your state.

Sometimes we do crazy things for our recreational toys.

Oh, and add me to the waiting list on the CB1100. My local dealer has an ABS confirmed for me. I've been following this thread since page 3. There just isn't any other place with lively banter going on about this bike. Count me out for the 4 into 4 pipes, I like it the way it was designed. If I were to make a change it would be for the chromed long front fender with bracing that is an accessory in Japan. I can appreciate how low the back end hangs to keep the road gunk off the exhaust pipes coming out of the front of the engine. (Much classier than attaching a chrome painted plastic Fender Extender to a real chrome plated fender) They make two versions, one to fit the ABS model.

edit: I was calling the fender extender a fender eliminator. Corrected.

Dav101 screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 06:47 PM
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote