User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #61
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 475
Question Charging issue.

The green light on the charger is on but it no longer turns red to indicate charging when plugged in. It also doesn't charge so it makes sense it's not turning red.

Where do I start?

First I'm going to try to swap out some batteries and try to charge.

Next...?
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #62
BetaRambo
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
The green light on the charger is on but it no longer turns red to indicate charging when plugged in. It also doesn't charge so it makes sense it's not turning red.

Where do I start?

First I'm going to try to swap out some batteries and try to charge.

Next...?
This behavior is most likely because the charger is not connecting to the batteries in some way. The charger senses the battery and changes the light color based on how much current the batteries are drawing.

The problem is not bad batteries as that would result in the light staying red since they will never stop drawing current.

I would start with the connector from the charger into the bike. Wiggle it around a bit and see if the light changes colors. If so then your charger has a bad wire.

After that I would trace the lines from the charger port on the bike to the batteries and look for loose or broken connections.

I would also check each battery connection and make sure nothing has come loose or become unreliable.

I would say that it is 95% likely that you have a loose connection in the charge path.

If that doesn't get it then let me know and I will dig a little deeper.
BetaRambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #63
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRambo View Post
I would say that it is 95% likely that you have a loose connection in the charge path
The weak point is the mini-micro-uber-wimpy flange connector terminals on the battery. Mine did the same as you describe, and I found a tear in one of the battery "posts." Look for light corrosion in the female connectors to the battery.

I replaced mine with "normal" 12v deep cycle batteries with real connectors. Problem solved.
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #64
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

No Charge required.

First thanks for all the help. My findings are as follows.

I started trying to figure this out by removing the recharge plug and the battery harness. I'm not great with a multimeter but can get by on some issues. I checked resistance on every section of every wire both positive and negative. Then I connected the recharge plug into the battery wire harness and checked resistance further down the circuit. No issues and found resistance where there was supposed to be. Added batteries to the circuit and plugged in the charger. GREEN light, damn!

Checked the batteries to see if they were okay and got 13v and 13v. Connected them together to check the connector wire and got 26v. Batteries checked.

I have some 36v Oset stuff and added the third battery and plugged in the 36v charger. GREEN light, damn!

Decided to put all three batteries on my motorcycle charger and come inside and ask you all for my next move. Wife was on the computed so I waited and was thinking things through. BAM, 26v's????

A 24v system doesn't need to be charged when its at 26v. GREEN light. Okay, if I do not have a charging issue then what do I have?

The throttle was beat up pretty bad on this thing and so I started there. Used my spare 36v throttle, plugged it in and the wheel starts spinning.

It turns out the throttle was not passing on the voltage giving me a false dead battery indication and no movement. I therefore was trying to charge a system that didn't need to be charged.

Now it works but I get an empty indication on the battery indicator. I can live with that.

Thanks again all.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #65
K_N_Fodder OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Hey guys -

Headed out to a kids fun ride at the Prineville Adventure Park today and the Oset was a hit. Too bad it only made it 4 laps (4 miles?) on the course... the back 1/3rd was a pretty serious climb and put the hurt down on the Oset pretty quickly. It's not an MX bike but we all know that.

About 1/3rd of the way in there's a left hand sweeper and a nice kicker, followed by a pretty steep drop. On the first lap we (dad's were riding chase on their bikes) were still in traffic and he hit that kicker pinned.... probably went 8 - 10 feet in the air, feet off the pegs and everything, right on the little dude on a KTM 50 in front of him. He got it pulled together just in time to carve the next left hand, I was impressed (and a bit freaked).

I can never remember how to properly embed video in the three or four forums I'm on, so here's the link... :)
http://vimeo.com/62530076

I tell ya, as far as bike handling goes he has it all over the other beginners. The Oset is such an amazing tool for this. There was quite a bit of interest in the pit as well, fun to see!
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #66
divaha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96

Today my 3 year old son rode his first off road on the Oset 12.5V. And I must say the bike is just great with long battery life. We had a PW50 but this is so much more convenient for the little boy and for where we ride. No noise, no smell, much lighter and the speed is better adjustable. The feel these small boys have with an electric bike is much more like a bicycle than with a PW it doesn't scare them out so much. So after practicing on a grass field we went into a park and did some paths including some small hills, he could not get enough. Incredible to see that he tries to stand up by himself and brakes naturally on a downhill. Just 2 points which can be improved on the Oset bike, the grips are too big for small 3 year old boy hands and the reach to the brake levers is too large as well but this can be adjusted I heard. But for the rest we are very, very satisfied.

divaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #67
LFD Kansas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
https://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/p...-12-5-24v.html

Thoughts or experience on this? My boy is 2.5 and getting the hang of his stryder. I need to work with him more but we are getting there.
LFD Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #68
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD Kansas View Post
https://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/p...-12-5-24v.html

Thoughts or experience on this? My boy is 2.5 and getting the hang of his stryder. I need to work with him more but we are getting there.

Get it. My three year old will have one soon. My five year old has the 16 inch. These little bikes are awesome. OSET is not your only option, most of the trials brands have a small electric bike now. Also Kuberg has a trials bike.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #69
nuggets
Fries with that?

I have two of the Oset 16.0 bikes now. I was looking for a 12 for my little guy, but I came across a sweet deal on another 16 and snagged it. Then I figured out how to lower the other one so the little guy can ride it.

Here is the newest one as I got it.

Here is the one I already had. It is Rotorhead's old bike.

Here is some Oset weirdness. These are the front fenders and mounting hardware. I thought they would have gone to spacers by now.

This is the mounting hardware for the fender. Adapted bike parts.

I think they could have done details like this better, but quality of the overall bike makes up for it.

Here are a couple of pictures of the controller, and wiring.

Here are the front ends of the two bikes side by side. The older one is on the left. I've swapped plastics and front fenders from the older bike to the newer one.

Notice the motorcycle style dual triple clamps for the older bike. The newer bike has much better suspension, but it cannot be lowered. You can see here that I have slid the forks up in the triple clamps to lower the older one.

Here you can see how much lower the older one is now. In this picture, you can see the prototype wooden hard link that is in the shock's place. I'll cut some aluminum links to make the bike a lowered hard tail, and let the little guy ride it like that until his legs stretch.

So, if you have a kid who is still too small for the 16, but will be too big for the 12 soon, then you can put old style forks on, and lower the bike.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #70
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Still enjoy seeing it get used Nuggets. Ride on!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #71
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
Still enjoy seeing it get used Nuggets. Ride on!
This bike is getting loved. I appreciate the upgrades you added to the bike. The hydraulic discs and 36V conversion are excellent.

I've finished the lowered rigid rear end conversion.

Here is the bike now. A little dirty, but ready to ride. It's also got some new grips on it. This particular Oset 16 is getting a bit customized.