Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #31
Volksg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi, thanks, i will try to put some photos of the mountings, in the ammo box i screwed an reinforced L bracket, then i join the L brackets to each other welding an steel bar with 1 centimeter thickness by 4 of diameter,and screwed the bar in to the rear seat peg mounts..
Volksg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #32
afk40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Volksg what kinda bike is the blue one in yer pics....

Diabolic,,, read yer report an great pics,, i had a van van last year,, wish ad kept it....then just on the 5of the 5 bought it back...

johnny tall... when ye`s goin tae spain an stuff.??? read alll yer posts an pics,, they were great,,, i have a wee van van 125...looking to do a tour o Scotland, God willin this year. who knows.

thanks guys

afk40 screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 07:54 PM
afk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #33
greygeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
PLEASE keep it coming
greygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #34
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
That was a good read, featured great scenery, and I like the bikes too. What sort of fuel mileage do the 125s get? That looks like a good, economical way to explore. I'm looking forward to more installments of your RR. More proof that "the wrong bike" really doesn't exist. Safe travels.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #35
holmes.g
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_Tallboy View Post
So now we've booked the next trip.

We'll be riding down through the UK.
Getting on a ferry to Spain.
Then the aim is to ride over the Pyrenees into France. Head north through France to the channel tunnel, and then back into the uk.

The ferry is booked, so no going back.

There are a few concerns:

Where to put all the extra gear, tools, spares etc. for a slightly longer trip, and being much further from home.
And how these little bikes will cope with the long slog over the Pyrenees.
And making sure we're able to navigate, avoiding major roads and taking our time on the country lanes. Getting directed onto a 3-lane motorway on these bikes will be no fun.

It's a tame trip compared to some others on here, but to me it still seems like a challenge.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

We set off in a couple of months. I'll keep you posted.
Come on man,what a wonderful plan,we all looking forward it...
holmes.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #36
afk40
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolic View Post
Great pictures and nice to see you having fun on 125's

I have an RV125 and thoroughly enjoy it.

Here's a ride report I put up from last year, we had similar weather

http://www.pixelled.co.uk/ride/rideout.html
Diabolic...please could ye help me, Im trying to register or log in to the Van Van uk owners club, i keep getting the message. THAT I CANNOT LOG IN AT THIS TIME, i have re logged in 20 times now saying i forgot my password, an they keep sending me new ones.. but I still cannot log in, they say if this persists, email an adminster...but i dont know how to...can ye help me get onto that site please.. im afk40 in there...sometimes it says im reactivated.. but i still cant do anything..im exasperated with the amount of times i try to log in.... thanks,. john
afk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #37
Jonny_Tallboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Well - The wait is over...

The trip is done. The little 125s have trekked across Europe.

I'll write up a new thread in the RR section, and also link from here.
It'll take some time to write.

In the meantime, here's a little teaser from the trip!

Crossing the Pyrenees between Spain and France at 1,700m.

Full RR coming soon to an adventure motorcycling forum near you...
Jonny_Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #38
Jonny_Tallboy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes.g View Post
Come on man,what a wonderful plan,we all looking forward it...
I'm glad you're all still following this thread - it appears you were urging us to go while we were actually on the trip!

To catch up on the other Qs:

@ The Sandman:
we can get around 90-100mpg on the flat when riding carefully, drops to maybe 85mpg when thrashing them all day. If my riding buddy AJT2 chips in he'll tell you what they made on the trip, and what climbing the Pyrenees did to the economy. He painstakingly records his odometer reading and gallons delivered every fuel stop. Me, I'd rather just ride.

@afk40:
The Van Van will be ace to tour Scotland on - My only advice from experience is take the minor back roads where possible. We found, last year, that the big open A roads up in Scotland just got a bit dull and slogged the bikes a bit. When you're limited to 45-50mph top speed, you'll find that you have a much more fun and engaging ride if you hunt out the small, narrow roads with tight turns one after the other.
That way you can experience the same 'feel' at 30-40mph on these roads as the large CC guys 'feel' doing the Scottish A roads at 100-140mph+. Oh... and it won't hurt as much if you stack it into Rannoch Moor on a corner!

It's just a case of matching the road size to the bike size.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #39
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
It good to see the pictures of Britain and Europe. It is about 15 years since I was last there, commuting and touring on a Honda CB250RS through the early & mid '90s.

I worked various places, depending on the time of the year, but my home base was St Johns Arms, a country pub near the northern border of Bedfordshire. It hosted several motorcycle rallies each year, including the Northampton MAG in the summer, and the Ariel Club's midwinter event.

One thing I found refreshing about motorcycling in the UK and Europe is that I didn't detect much of the big bike snobbery that there is in some other places. Own anything with a motor and two wheels, and you are a biker
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #40
Jonny_Tallboy OP
Adventurer

Hi all,

It's been a long time coming, but I finally got round to writing the ride report for the Europe trip on the 125s.

Here it is:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921846

Enjoy ;)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #41
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Great choice of bikes. Small cruisers, very comfortable and bulletproof. Tube tires, but they have centerstands. Hope you are carrying new tubes and tools. Have you considered luggage racks? I don't know if there is anything available for those bikes or not, if not maybe you could fabricate something out of the grab rails. Here's my small displacement touring bike. It's a 225, but I'm on the heavy side. It has a bolt on rack that I modified to get even more stuff on it. Tank bags and front fender bags also help. I have 2 new tubes attached to the front fender.

JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #42
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
125 trip

Great trip and story only those who ride the smaller cc bikes know the pleasures of your trip. CMS
VSRI
CMS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #43
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 207
"We decided to take camping gear to take advantage of the wild camping laws in Scotland. so we had to find space for this on the bikes. We had no panniers, but the large pillion seats on these bikes seemed to make a good place for stowing the gear. Everything else then had to be squashed into a small tank bag:

We were pretty minimal with everything else… one set of clothes all trip."

Like the way roll pad fits in front of the tail light. I can still fit a bag/backpack right behind the rider that would double as a backrest.

Had a 2 stroke street legal dual sport Yamaha DT125 back in the 90s (Japanese call it O1W) and it did go places.

Thanks for the report
http://malmonfz1.imgur.com/
malmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #44
Jonny_Tallboy OP
Adventurer

never mind thanks for sharing... I'm really glad people are still reading ( and commenting) on this thread.

Seems to be getting more hits and coverage than our recent epic to take the little bikes over the pyrenees!

@ JerryH - you can get aftermarket racks for the two bikes we ride, though I wanted to keep the looks of mine how it is currently (it does look nice for tooling around town on) so I decided to just use the pillion seat and bungees.

For the big trip abroad we bought some soft, throw over panniers to expand the room. you can see it all loaded up in that thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921846

@ CMS - indeed! Only those who travel on 125s know their amazing potential, and also their hideous limitations! It's a real Love/Hate relationship, but you can't help admire these machines really. So long as you're in no rush, they're absolutely perfect. They're just so engaging to ride and make you work/think every step of the journey in a way that the bigger bikes don't.

I've been riding my bigger bike mostly recently - basically for the dull commute to work. Be assured that next time i have a decent amount of time for a tour, the little 125cc will be dusted off and taken!