Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #31
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
^.......The local guy said that when you buy a tire mail order, it may be years old and deteriorated, but whenever I've bought them they seemed fresh as a daisy. Has anyone here had any trouble with internet tires?
On the other hand the internet suppliers, being cheap, may turn over more stock and have fresher tyres. They should have a date stamp on them, but I think each manufacturer has their own codes that you need to decipher.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #32
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
In my humble opinion tyre changing is a useful skill to learn but given the choice I'd get a professional to do it, 'cos I'm getting old and lazy.

In the 80s I used to use Continental tyres. partly because they had very flexible sidewalls and that made they very easy to fit.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #33
Paul_Rochdale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
I wouldn't insult a shop owner by bringing him a tire that I bought elsewhere. The local guy said that when you buy a tire mail order, it may be years old and deteriorated, but whenever I've bought them they seemed fresh as a daisy. Has anyone here had any trouble with internet tires?
That's not been my experience. OK, with motorcycle tyres I go to my local tyre depot and he either has them in stock or can get them within 24hrs. I'm currently building a kitcar and bought some scarce Michelin tyres on eBay. I took them to the tyre depot and he fitted them to my rims for a small fee. Nobody was insulted. It's their job after all and they can always say "No". The code on the sidewall tells us the month and year of manufacture so there's no guesswork.
Paul_Rochdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #34
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,449
Been using internet ordered tires for a long time now, never an issue, unless I'm stupid and order the wrong size! helps a bunch if the tires are nice and warm, both the one coming off and the one going on. I like to go for a short ride to put some heat in the one coming off, and either lay the new one in the sun if it's nice out, or inside for a couple days if it's nasty out.
and the best thing I ever did was buy a BEAD BREAKER, money well spent!!!!!!!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 AM   #35
brittrunyon
R 100 GS F 650 GS

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish View Post
Been using internet ordered tires for a long time now, never an issue, unless I'm stupid and order the wrong size! helps a bunch if the tires are nice and warm, both the one coming off and the one going on. I like to go for a short ride to put some heat in the one coming off, and either lay the new one in the sun if it's nice out, or inside for a couple days if it's nasty out.
and the best thing I ever did was buy a BEAD BREAKER, money well spent!!!!!!!
What bead breaker do you have?

My Motorcycle Videos & More @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333
No Rules Photography @ http://brittrunyon.com/
brittrunyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #36
bikerfish
flyfishandride

I have a cheapo tire changer, the bead breaker is built into the base of it. Don't know what brand it is, probably from harbor freight or some such place, but it works for everything I need it to do.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #37
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,400
I think you usually get fresher tires mail order. The date code is the same on all tires. 3 digit. Two digits are the week of the year it was made and one digit is the year.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #38
sigpe57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Like mentioned above, I found that using a hard-heeled boot and working/jumping could eventually break the bead... but that doesn't mean the tire is flexible enough to be pulled over the rim after that.....

I had a tire that had been on, and full of air, for so long that I had to resort to this:

...course, you cannot re-use the tire.....
This is not funny. It's reality. I ended up cutting every old airhead tire instead of dismount them using manual tire changer. What you see on the Utube how easy it is using the manual tire changer to mount/dismount the tire is only true to certain degree. It might be easy to mount/dismount fresh and wide tubeless tire.

On old and narrow airhead tire, if it's dry like to picture above, you need to cut it off or send the tire to the MC shop to have it removed with a machine. If you try to remove the tire manually ,you will most likely damage or bend the rim. Last time I bought a stubborn old tire to the shop it took 2 guys with a tire machine to have the tire removed.

I finally know the limitation of a manual tire changer. Very tempting to buy an automatic one.
sigpe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #39
bikerfish
flyfishandride

I always have a couple beers before doing tires, amazing what beer muscles can do!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #40
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
tire removal

Big C clamp, lube it , ?
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 AM   #41
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,137
How the heck do you get a tyre ON?

Wowzers! toughest customer yet.
A new lasertec front, plenty of soapy water.......I could not get the bead to fully seat.

Just that last bit on one side. clamp the tyre and move that 'last bit' to the other side of the wheel.
100 freakin pounds!

After about 6 or 7 inflations, finally.

maybe I need some super duper tyre lube instead of using hand soap.

Edited to add, I then of course put the wheel on my Parnes balancer only to find that I needed to rotate the tyre for a better balance. Doh!

ME 109 screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 04:07 AM
ME 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #42
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,938
Until about 8 years ago I'd always used soapy water. Then I got some real tire lube and was amazed how much easier the job went. A gallon tub is about $15 and will last a life time - shoulda gotten it 40 years ago! Now I can seat tires (including tubeless) with about 35lbs pressure, using the manual tire pump.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #43
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Until about 8 years ago I'd always used soapy water. Then I got some real tire lube and was amazed how much easier the job went. A gallon tub is about $15 and will last a life time - shoulda gotten it 40 years ago! Now I can seat tires (including tubeless) with about 35lbs pressure, using the manual tire pump.
Done.

I have looked for it before, but not hard enough.
I will find some proper tyre lube.

And while I'm at it, I'll get some of those metal valve caps that have the valve removal slot on them.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #44
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,400
The real trick to getting them to seat is a clean rim, no valve stem core, and a lot of air in your compressor. A lot of it is about how fast the air goes in. The right chuck and a half inch hose can make ALL the difference.

I have used soap forever. I recently got some tire lube. I just changed a tire on my own bike and the tire lube I bought made my rim corrode way more than soap and water. Beware!

supershaft screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 11:45 AM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #45
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
The real trick to getting them to seat is a clean rim, no valve stem core, and a lot of air in your compressor. A lot of it is about how fast the air goes in.
Good advice for fitting a tyre tubeless.
I've heard of problems with some types of lubes causing corrosion. That won't do well for the tubeless crowd.