Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #16
zazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Heilong ....did your 250 have that keihim pumper carb ....ve88? My one has got a bit unreliable due to waxing and degradation from low grade Filipino fuel ....I know can get original parts from Honda but they cost a fortune but I can't see anywhere on the net that even recognizes this carb model. I'm almost thinking to just replace the whole unit with a regular xr250 one but I'm not sure what the pros and cons of doing this are. I was told that leaving a keihim carb idle for a a few weeks in Filipino fuel would pretty much kill the internals to the point that cleaning just won't fix the issue.

Any thoughts on this ?.....your opinion would be valued! Thanks.
zazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
madnomad
greece2india

Oddometer: 6
I had the same problem on the VE88 carb because I used dirty 73-octane fuel in Tajikistan. My bike didn't have a fuel filter at that time. I travelled more than 10,000 km since then, but some fuel or air passages on the carb were blocked and I got a hole on the piston because I was working the engine with poor mixture for a long time.

When I finished my trip, I rebuilt my bike, but nobody could clean that carb. I replaced it with the mechanic carb from an XLR 250 '89. I lost some power but it works fine for the last 20,000 km.

I had to modify the accelerator cables and to install a new choke cable. I also had to install an elastic tube between the carb and the air filter boot. Keep in mind, that there is hardly enough space for the mechanical carb because of the electric starter. I tried a carb from XR 250 R, but I couldn't install it in proper vertical position. The one from XLR is hardly fitting vertically.

You can read the details and see the photos at:
http://madnomad.gr/main/en/greece2india/rebuilding/
madnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
madnomad
greece2india

Quote:
Originally Posted by heilong View Post
Your trip sounds really interesting! And I would love to travel in Greece someday. So far I've been in Cyprus and Crete, and liked both, never been on the mainland part, though.
Thanks heilong! Actually, I prefer the mainland part of Greece. It has plenty of mountains and some of them are so wild that you 'll think you are in remote areas of the Alps, but far from the tarmac!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #19
heilong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazz View Post
Heilong ....did your 250 have that keihim pumper carb ....ve88? My one has got a bit unreliable due to waxing and degradation from low grade Filipino fuel ....I know can get original parts from Honda but they cost a fortune but I can't see anywhere on the net that even recognizes this carb model. I'm almost thinking to just replace the whole unit with a regular xr250 one but I'm not sure what the pros and cons of doing this are. I was told that leaving a keihim carb idle for a a few weeks in Filipino fuel would pretty much kill the internals to the point that cleaning just won't fix the issue.

Any thoughts on this ?.....your opinion would be valued! Thanks.
VE88 is not a pumper carb, it's a CV (constant vacuum) carb. Some replacement parts can be hard to find. I was able to order a kit containing all the o-ring and rubber gaskets (it comes as one part number) at a reasonable price at my Honda parts supplier, the rubber diaphragm on the right side of the carb was harder to find, normally they don't sell it separately. But on the XR250 Tornado, the Brazilian model, the carb is very similar (different submodel of VE88), and I was able to find that part separately on Brazilian ebay, with reasonable shipping. You should try cleaning the carb first. Basically you strip it down completely (you have to remove all the rubber parts as otherwise they will be damaged by the carb cleaner), then alternate between carb cleaner and compressed air, working on all the passages in the carb. Then put it back together. It's not too much work and doesn't cost much, so it's the obvious first step to see if it helps with your problem. Also inspect the condition of all the rubber seals, the diaphragm on the right side of the cab and beneath the top cover, the condition of the needle and the jets. If you had a lot of dirt in the fuel, over time the needle and/or jets might be worn, but it's hard to see the difference between a normal jet and the worn out one with your eyes - the hole just gets a little bigger. If cleaning doesn't help and you suspect the jets, you can try replacing the jets, normally they are not so hard to find and not too expensive.
Installing a different model of carb might be tricky because of many reasons. First, there is the space issue already mentioned, the electric starter might prevent installation of the carb that is made to fit the kick-start-only XR250R. Also usually you will need a different adapters from the air filter to the carb, and from the carb to the cylinder head. Might also need longer throttle cables. Even when you install it, you have to tune it (jets, needle, idle) to have it work really well. It's a lot of work if you want to get reliable and good performance, from what I've heard.
I know that in Japan they have for sale a complete kit of a Keihin FCR carb, I think it includes everything for installation on a XR250 (MD30). But is pretty expensive.
http://japan.webike.net/products/27408.html
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #20
heilong
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnomad View Post
Thanks heilong! Actually, I prefer the mainland part of Greece. It has plenty of mountains and some of them are so wild that you 'll think you are in remote areas of the Alps, but far from the tarmac!
That sounds nice. I really want to go there in a couple of years maybe. I also like beaches and forests, Greece has it all, I think, right?

I just read your rebuilding thread, so many emotions you describe there are the same as what I felt when I was working on my XR250. Basically I did around the same amount of work you did, and also it was my first time. My bike did work, the main reason I did it is I wanted to know every bolt and every repair on my bike. I didn't remove the engine from the frame as I wasn't going to repaint the frame, or split the engine case. All the other work is possible with the engine still in the frame. I think you did a great job! Some crazy stuff happened inside your engine with all these parts of the cam chain tensioner and guide. It's amazing that there was not more damage.
Anyway, a lot of respect regarding your travels and on working on your bike by your own. That is cool.

heilong screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 01:34 AM
Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #21
zazz
Adventurer

Quote:
VE88 is not a pumper carb, it's a CV (constant vacuum) carb. Some replacement parts can be hard to find. I was able to order a kit containing all the o-ring and rubber gaskets (it comes as one part number) at a reasonable price at my Honda parts supplier, the rubber diaphragm on the right side of the carb was harder to find, normally they don't sell it separately. But on the XR250 Tornado, the Brazilian model, the carb is very similar (different submodel of VE88), and I was able to find that part separately on Brazilian ebay, with reasonable shipping. You should try cleaning the carb first. Basically you strip it down completely (you have to remove all the rubber parts as otherwise they will be damaged by the carb cleaner), then alternate between carb cleaner and compressed air, working on all the passages in the carb. Then put it back together. It's not too much work and doesn't cost much, so it's the obvious first step to see if it helps with your problem. Also inspect the condition of all the rubber seals, the diaphragm on the right side of the cab and beneath the top cover, the condition of the needle and the jets. If you had a lot of dirt in the fuel, over time the needle and/or jets might be worn, but it's hard to see the difference between a normal jet and the worn out one with your eyes - the hole just gets a little bigger. If cleaning doesn't help and you suspect the jets, you can try replacing the jets, normally they are not so hard to find and not too expensive.
Installing a different model of carb might be tricky because of many reasons. First, there is the space issue already mentioned, the electric starter might prevent installation of the carb that is made to fit the kick-start-only XR250R. Also usually you will need a different adapters from the air filter to the carb, and from the carb to the cylinder head. Might also need longer throttle cables. Even when you install it, you have to tune it (jets, needle, idle) to have it work really well. It's a lot of work if you want to get reliable and good performance, from what I've heard.
I know that in Japan they have for sale a complete kit of a Keihin FCR carb, I think it includes everything for installation on a XR250 (MD30). But is pretty expensive.
http://japan.webike.net/products/27408.html
thanks a lot!!! ...you know more about this bike than honda.... lol ...
Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 AM   #22
zazz
Adventurer

After some messing around it turns out it wasn't the carb ....it was the exhaust valves....so after a top rebuild this bike is like new...suddenly I can see why these fcr carbs are so expensive....the acceleration is nuts.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
LouisPoland
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by madnomad View Post
Madnomad, Greece is beautiful!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #24
madnomad
greece2india

Haha, I'm glad you like it! It's true, there are some great landscapes around here... and you got the perfect bike to explore them ;-)
Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
ronibader
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Handguards

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazz View Post

Nice post on the differences between japanese and regular xr250! This is my japanese xr250 originally in motard form. I was always wondering what the differences were but could never get a straight answer.... I was also looking for a kickstart kit.
Nice ride you've got there. Can i ask what are the handguards you have on your bike ?
I live in Dubai, UAE and own a 2011 XR250 Tornado. I cant seem to find any handguards that would fit this bike. They turn to be either short, or happen to touch / stand in the way of the brak / clutch handles.

tnx
ronibader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #26
heilong
Adventurer

Did you try Zeta handguards? They have a "bent" version which gives more clearance to the lines and cables. There are several similar choices by other manufacturers. Strength-wise, I've heard very good thing about Cycra guards.
http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard/
Old 06-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
I'd kill for a set of those lights for my project XR400R dual sport.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #28
ronibader
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Zeta Hanguards

Quote:
Did you try Zeta handguards? They have a "bent" version which gives more clearance to the lines and cables. There are several similar choices by other manufacturers. Strength-wise, I've heard very good thing about Cycra guards.
http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard/
Thanks mate.. I just checked em online.. i guess they should fit my bike.

Cheers !
Roni
ronibader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #29
ftw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Checkin' in with my 2001 XR250 Baja tractor...hello, everybody!

In fact had only been thinking of it as of my big bikes winter substitute...until found myself riding it all year round and not even thinking of anything else anymore.
ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #30
Zonkelnut
King in the land of Zonk.

Oddometer: 32
Hi there.

I am looking for a oil filter cover for the Baja XR250L. I guess 1991-1992 model.

Thanks
Zonkelnut is offline   Reply With Quote