Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,194
Real Food in Sardinia, Italy and Ikaria, Greece?

Thought I'd try to use the power of Adventure Rider to reach across the ocean try to get to the truth on something.

Some of you may have heard of a book called "Blue Zones" and it's author who has received a lot of press and has created a lot of buzz here in the US. It's a study of places in the world where people live the longest. The Author said that Sardinia and Ikaria are two of those places. He said that the in the average diet there, they eat mostly plant based foods and very little meat. He says they eat meat only 4 - 5 times a month and it's mostly for celebratory meals. And, it's small sizes - a deck of cards in size. Doesn't sound true to me.

For those who live in or around Sardinia or Ikaria, or those who've spent some time there, what are your perceptions on how often they eat meat there. Any other diet or lifestyle observations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
John933
GSX 1400

Oddometer: 155
There was something on the BBC about that. Can't bring the place to memory. But I know it was in the med some place. South of an island. Most of the people live well in to their 90. So by what you are saying it fit's the bill.

Or it could be the program was made on the book. In that case, you've got your self no near to the answer.

John933
John933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
MikeTheMechanic
Tsiki?

Oddometer: 77
I have gone to Ikaria many times. I live in Crete. In the Greek islands we eat meat generally around 2 times per week. In fact we eat a lot of vegetables, legumes, fish. Also a lot of fresh fruits.We use only olive oil for cooking and we don't eat so much fast food (especially in small islands they don't eat any). That's the secret of longevity

Visit Greek Islands (especially in winter) and you will learn everything.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Tuonized
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Diet is one thing, but how they perceive life is another. It is not only how much meat they eat, it is also how they live, what level of stress they have.

I have only been to Ikaria for holidays. People there have their own rhythms which are the opposite of the hectic way of life of the cities. Of course diet is important. Fresh vegetables, olive oil, fresh fish and meat. It is totally different producing your own organic products than buying (genetically modified) stuff from the supermarkets.
Tuonized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheMechanic View Post
I have gone to Ikaria many times. I live in Crete. In the Greek islands we eat meat generally around 2 times per week. In fact we eat a lot of vegetables, legumes, fish. Also a lot of fresh fruits.We use only olive oil for cooking and we don't eat so much fast food (especially in small islands they don't eat any). That's the secret of longevity

Visit Greek Islands (especially in winter) and you will learn everything.
That's the same for Sardinia - particularly for the small Island of Sant'Antioco where they based the study , - add a regular use of wine (same for greece) but more important regard alcohol , a totally different approach respect N.America or northern countries - Wne is seen and used as food , and drank mostly during eating , our mediterrean approach to booze is (still) not to get drunk as fast as possible "shitfaced" as used to say my UK friends, but to enjoy the beverage .

Put into also the outside life with lot of necessary exercise - in these places you got, not choose, to walk ... for example, insulary Venice is both one of the italian cities with highest percentage of retirees and aging people , but also one with the lowest mortality procapita for heart problems : in Venice everyone average makes between 200-350 steps every day
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
I don't know what it is but Ikarian Honey is a little piece of heaven on earth.
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote