Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #2551
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
I've registered vehicles to non residents. All you need is a Canadian address and your I.d. AS Far as insurance goes. I wouldn't think any insurance Co. would oppose taking your money

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
Hi Gord, I've been asked this question by a few folks. So someone from overseas can buy a bike from your dealership and you register and safety it to them with a local address they get from a friend ? Presuming they have an international drivers license they could call a Canadian insurance firm and get coverage using the local address and the international drivers license?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #2552
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,742
Not sure if they would use an international drives license? The ones I've done they just create a registration identification number (rin) for the person as they would a company or married couple. I've only done it with ATV's and trailers but imagine it would be the same for any vehicle.

Sent from my Droid RAZR using tapatalk 2
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #2553
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
There also may be problems in early July before you get to the Rockies. The very first day going west will take you to the Poison Mnt. Technical section and could be too muddy to get through. After that the Big Bar reaction ferry may not be running because of the strong flow of the Fraser River that time of year. Lastly, the Nemaiah Valley can also be very muddy in early July. All three of these areas are fantastic and shouldn't be missed, but they all may have to be by-passed if we have another "bad" spring.

Everything will depend on the snowpack melt and wether or not we have a wet spring this year in BC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Good info Ross, I'll add it to the route description
I have had several PMs about the BC portion of the TCAT and the questions are usually about when the route can be ridden from west to east.

Even though it has been stated in this thread that the TCAT is an east to west endeavour if the rider wants to start in June, I think it should be stated again that if a rider wants to go from west to east, it is likely mid-July before he or she should try if they don't want to miss some of the sections.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #2554
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 188
East to West in 8 weeks

Just a heads up boys. Canada is one of the big dog countries. Don't understimate the length of this ride. That being said, 8 weeks will be good. Don't be afraid of contacting ADV riders along the way. We are a hospitable group. That being said. Place to stay at:
Elora, Ontario
check out tent space section.
Hevy Kevy
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #2555
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Kiwis ride the Big Dog

Thanks for the invite Kevy, NZ is 1600 km top to bottom, so we know we are heading into "new territory". We do hope 8 weeks will get us to Vancouver as this is our max leave pass!
No1 challenge currently, is buying, and (here's the difficult bit) registering, 2 new bikes in Newfoundland as tourists - i.e. non perminant residents.
In NZ a tourist can rock up to any dealership, slap down the $$, and ride off into the sunset (best to have a licence..). Not so in your fine country it appears!

As requested prior, would be great to hear from anyone with experience or advise on this.

If we manage to get mobile, we have a SPOT and happy to share link to meet up with fellow ADV riders.
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #2556
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
Thanks for the invite Kevy, NZ is 1600 km top to bottom, so we know we are heading into "new territory". We do hope 8 weeks will get us to Vancouver as this is our max leave pass!
No1 challenge currently, is buying, and (here's the difficult bit) registering, 2 new bikes in Newfoundland as tourists - i.e. non perminant residents.
In NZ a tourist can rock up to any dealership, slap down the $$, and ride off into the sunset (best to have a licence..). Not so in your fine country it appears!

As requested prior, would be great to hear from anyone with experience or advise on this.

If we manage to get mobile, we have a SPOT and happy to share link to meet up with fellow ADV riders.
I met a fellow from NZ when I did TAT last summer and now I think he is storing his bike in western Canada? I think his name was Joe something.. maybe he can give you a tip if he had it done easy way.. or who know maybe he will consider selling you the bike or rent it out to you but I highly doubt it because I think he plan to return back and do Deadhorse-Ushuaia trip. I would have to email him about that so PM me if you want me to hook you up.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #2557
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #2558
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Excuuse me please !

Not to jack your Thread but if I can jump in real quick ?

A few years ago I did a trip from Sarnia Ont. up thru Tobemory and came back home thru Sault St Marie . Great trip but to much Slab, on an old Gold Wing . It was in October I wanted to look around more but passenger not so much.

Now I have a better bike for exploring and would like to see more of the country . Most likely alone ....

Can anyone point me in a direction for info ? I'm not having much luck and not sure where to look ...... Even maybe for weekend trips around Lake Huron , Thunder Bay , Close to the boarders ????

Thank you
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #2559
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post

A few years ago I did a trip from Sarnia Ont. up thru Tobemory and came back home thru Sault St Marie . Great trip but to much Slab, on an old Gold Wing . It was in October I wanted to look around more but passenger not so much.

Now I have a better bike for exploring and would like to see more of the country . Most likely alone ....

Can anyone point me in a direction for info ? I'm not having much luck and not sure where to look ...... Even maybe for weekend trips around Lake Huron , Thunder Bay , Close to the boarders ????

Thank you

your question seems vague... info where?

you can get the TCAT file from graveltravel.ca, Northern ontario should be posted in the Northern rider thread. GTA, ask the GTA Riders MegaThread ....
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #2560
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by two trackin fool View Post

Thank you
Depends on what you doing on any particular trip, I can likely be of some help from here(North of Sarnia) heading north, also your neighbor Dyno and I have done some exploring heading north and east in different directions. Let me know(PM) what your up to and I,ll see what I can provide.

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #2561
two trackin fool
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Ok thanks !
Im really not sure yet what Im doing . Im just looking at this piont . Still need to get papers to cross the boarder now didnt before ...
I will keep you and Dyno in touch .

Sounds like a plan needs to be put together .
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #2562
Two Wheeled 'Tard
Banned

Oddometer: 165
Have to give my thanks again for you guys putting this together, it was a huge undertaking and means the world to other riders!

Can't wait for the pdf maps!
Two Wheeled 'Tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #2563
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Wheeled 'Tard View Post
Have to give my thanks again for you guys putting this together, it was a huge undertaking and means the world to other riders!

Can't wait for the pdf maps!
+1 on this!! Can't thank you enough and people are talking about your TCAT routes too! It seems that everybody are planning the trip now.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #2564
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Finally got done my portion of the writeup. My apologies for those who have been waiting for details on the Prairie section.

If anyone is riding the route this summer be sure to PM me and let me know about when you'll be passing near Saskatoon. I'd love to get out and meet some of the folks enjoying the route we created! Maybe I could even join you for a day in my local area, but since I won't be able to ride it all for a while yet I will have to live vicariously through your stories and descriptions of other parts of the route. Also, any suggestions are appreciated.
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #2565
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Thanks!

So now that the Prairie Region is complete I'd like to mention a few of the people who helped me with this.

Andy Ebbern
Earl Weneger
John (kojema) - Sorry, I can't remember your last name John!
Chris Harris
Russ Berg
Stan Burgess
Glyn Kennell
Klaus (Sask_Pirate) Sorry Klaus - I can't remember your last name either!
(I'm so bad with names I'd forget my own if people didn't use it whenever they address me!)

These guys provided knowledge of some areas of the route for me, or rode with me as I explored it (I hate riding alone on an adventure route - too dangerous).

Also, thanks to Ted and all the other people working on this route, both as explorers and those putting the package together! The package is looking very professional, and it's nice to see that all of our work is coming together so nicely.

Last and most, to my wife Lesley, without whom I would not have been able to do this project. She gave away a bunch of summer holidays over the last 2 years looking after kids by herself so that I could ride sections of the route and get the whole thing nailed down. All who ride and enjoy the prairie section can thank her.

I applaud you all!
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote