Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Along the el camino del diablo route you need a free permit, however the route closes on March 15 thru July 15. Also you'll need to carry flags for your ride.

booger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,616
In San Diego County, you'll find selective and varying enforcement on the border road. Depends on who finds you and the type of day they're having.

Sounds like you might have some additional influence with their decision making- I always take the path of least resistance when confronted by anyone armed, right or wrong.

Often, I'll suggest that I'll be out of their enforcement area by going forward rather than back.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 674
Most of the section heading into Douglas looks like:

although there are some steep sections. Shouldn't be too hard on your bikes, but a couple of sections were a little more than I wanted to do solo...

I've never had a problem with any BPAs from the AZ/NM line over towards Nogales. The ride over Montezuma Pass is outstanding.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #19
BlackHawkChief
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
El Camino del Diablo

my brother an fellow adv (bucketboy) passed through there a few months ago

A U.S. Marine Corps permit is required for entry to the Barry M. Goldwater Range and is available from the Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Range Management Department (520-341-3402). El Camino del Diablo continues through the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge. A permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, Ajo, Arizona) is required to travel on the refuge (520-387-6483).
here you go
http://http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/p...no_diablo.html

http://http://3upadventures.com/el-camino-del-diablo/

hope this helps
BlackHawkChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
In San Diego County, you'll find selective and varying enforcement on the border road. Depends on who finds you and the type of day they're having.

Sounds like you might have some additional influence with their decision making- I always take the path of least resistance when confronted by anyone armed, right or wrong.

Often, I'll suggest that I'll be out of their enforcement area by going forward rather than back.
Nice pic. We'll have to see how far we make it through AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucker View Post
Shouldn't be too hard on your bikes, but a couple of sections were a little more than I wanted to do solo...

I've never had a problem with any BPAs from the AZ/NM line over towards Nogales. The ride over Montezuma Pass is outstanding.
Thanks for the pic, glad to see there are cattleguards along the barrier and not gates everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkChief View Post

A U.S. Marine Corps permit is required for entry to the Barry M. Goldwater Range and is available from the Marine Corps Air Station, Yuma, Range Management Department (520-341-3402). El Camino del Diablo continues through the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge. A permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, Ajo, Arizona) is required to travel on the refuge (520-387-6483).
here you go
http://http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/p...no_diablo.html

http://http://3upadventures.com/el-camino-del-diablo/

hope this helps
Thanks for the info. Apparently there is some mating season going on for the North American 2-toed speckled gay pronghorn and it gets nervous if you drive through its area and won't mate to save its species even though they are over-populated. (Thanks Sierra Club).

We may have to modify our route...

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Nice pic. We'll have to see how far we make it through AZ.

I'll be expecting a full report. This is a ride I've vaguely considered, but never checked out.

I'll appreciate your pre-run

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 03-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #22
Bucket Boy
The other mechanic

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawkChief View Post

here you go
hope this helps

I work on the Camino del diablo every day. Easy sandy bumpy road. 125 miles across. You need a free card at the Cabeza office in Ajo and it covers all agencys. The road that is right on the border is off limits. And you don't need a flag. (ATV's do) This should be the last yr it's closed 3-15 to 6-15.
Bucket Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Oh yeah?

So even if that is a military bombing range extends down to the border, that 60' is still open to all?

Where can we read that 60' is open no matter what and neither the gov. nor private land owners can deny you access? I sure have been denied to other federal land in many places.

Ok, after some searching I found it. The 60' strip is known as the Roosevelt Reservation and specifies that it cannot be built upon or infringed by and public land laws. It's original purpose was to be a 'public roadway' to prevent the smuggling of goods from Mexico along the borders.

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_758

Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,656
RE----my buddy Dingweeds just rode the El Camino Del Diablo trail--------I can put you in touch with him if you like-------he knows all the details and permit issues---------he and I both have a track log with helpful waypoints thru there.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
RE----my buddy Dingweeds just rode the El Camino Del Diablo trail--------I can put you in touch with him if you like-------he knows all the details and permit issues---------he and I both have a track log with helpful waypoints thru there.

BigDog
Email me information if you can please, RuggedExposure@hotmail.com .

I guess the Camino Del Diablo shuts down for the most part March 15th - July 15th.
Luckily the west part from Tule Well over remains open. The other closed part we will attempt to use the border road to cross. If we stay within the 60' 'Roosevelt Reservation' they can't tell us anything.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
FakeName

Quote:
If we stay within the 60' 'Roosevelt Reservation' they can't tell us anything.
Interesting interpretation- but not the sam way I see it. Appears you may not be able to build a house there, but I didn't see anything that granted you unlimited access.

And, just like any roadway, officers can (and do) prevent your access when the deem it necessary- enforcement activity etc. I believe here in SD County, they shoo us off just because it's easier to enforce the area if only bad guys enter it.

Don't get me wrong- I want you to be able to go through, because I want to read your RR and do something similar.

But my opinion of the Roosevelt Reservation (I am, after all, a photographer, and therefore trained to interpret legal documents) is it does not grant you right of passage.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #27
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Interesting interpretation- but not the sam way I see it. Appears you may not be able to build a house there, but I didn't see anything that granted you unlimited access.

And, just like any roadway, officers can (and do) prevent your access when the deem it necessary- enforcement activity etc. I believe here in SD County, they shoo us off just because it's easier to enforce the area if only bad guys enter it.

Don't get me wrong- I want you to be able to go through, because I want to read your RR and do something similar.

But my opinion of the Roosevelt Reservation (I am, after all, a photographer, and therefore trained to interpret legal documents) is it does not grant you right of passage.
" that the said strips, tracts, or parcels of land, reserved as aforesaid, may be used for public highways but for no other purpose whatever"

That pretty much sounds to me like unlimited access. The 'no other purpose whatever' tells me that it can't be shut down for immigration reasons, or because some North American two toed white sided speckled gay pronghorn antelope is having a breeding season either. The only thing I could see it being closed to the public for is if it presents a specific danger to people.

Now granted, I work in this 60' stretch pretty much everyday, and we have people come and go. Some are curious as to what it looks like, some are from the media taking pictures. Either way, they get checked inspected, and if there is no reason to detain them, they are sent on their way to do as they please.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #28
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Got the knobby on the back, ready to go for tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Got the knobby on the back, ready to go for tomorrow.
What is your setup like on this the Husky? I saw you had put in a custom rack on another thread but didn't say what kinda bags etc.
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
RuggedExposure OP
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
What is your setup like on this the Husky? I saw you had put in a custom rack on another thread but didn't say what kinda bags etc.
Made my own racks, here is where I started: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=345

The bags are Nelson Rigg 'Survivor' series waterproof bags. Affordable and they've held up through the abuse so far.