Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #3601
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Looks like the business end of it has had the hoses removed. When the dealer desmogged my KTM, they ended up leaving a similar looking solenoid valve-looking thing electrically connected, but with hoses removed. They said some of the bikes seemed not to like not having it plugged in, and for the modest weight penalty they just left it on. I haven't bothered to remove it.
Ok, thanks. Wasn't sure if it made a difference or not.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #3602
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
We have ours removed. Plug just sitting there.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #3603
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Pretty sure mine is sitting in a bag in a box in the garage.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #3604
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Well mine is going bye be just in case. Gotta remove it so I can stuff some tools in there anyway. I will make sure to tape up the fitting nice and tight.

Got Ned's DoubleTake mirror installed yesterday and it is a huge improvement for me over stock and the HDB set I had.

Hopefully get the turn signals working soon. Need to connect the hand warmer wiring. Tank bag from flea market bought. New boots, AFX dual sport helmet, and d606 rear on the way! Getting excited about some warmer weather and riding!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #3605
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Pretty sure mine is sitting in a bag in a box in the garage.
+1 Bike doesn't miss it at all
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #3606
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobbiethrower View Post
+1 Bike doesn't miss it at all

+2 Yup.

And the secret tool spot works great!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:19 AM   #3607
Knobbiethrower
ADV in ADK

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
+2 Yup.

And the secret tool spot works great!

Makes me wonder if this area was "engineered" with this purpose in mind. It is a perfect pocket for a small storage area.
Knobbiethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #3608
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Parked my FE390 on some soft ground a few weeks ago, after a while the side stand sunk into the ground and the bike fell over. Bent the side stand a little bit and today it finally gave up and folded forward, no longer able to hold the bike up.

Is there an after market side stand available that is strong enough to take a small amount of abuse? I never put any weight on the stand but it would be nice not to have to baby it so much all the time.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #3609
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Parked my FE390 on some soft ground a few weeks ago, after a while the side stand sunk into the ground and the bike fell over. Bent the side stand a little bit and today it finally gave up and folded forward, no longer able to hold the bike up.

Is there an after market side stand available that is strong enough to take a small amount of abuse? I never put any weight on the stand but it would be nice not to have to baby it so much all the time.
I haven't heard on this mega thread or elsewhere that the FE Bergs had a weak kickstand issue. I think you may have gotten unlucky and the stand sinking and bike leveraging it just right managed to bend it a little and then the structural integrity was gone.

I sometimes do sidestand swivels to turn my FE390 180degrees around on super tight trails, even with luggage on it, and that puts a lot of weight on my OEM stand and it's never had any problems.

ProMoto Billet makes aftermarket stands for dirtbikes call "Kick-It" but not sure if the KTM version would fit a FE Berg.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:49 AM   #3610
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I haven't heard on this mega thread or elsewhere that the FE Bergs had a weak kickstand issue. I think you may have gotten unlucky and the stand sinking and bike leveraging it just right managed to bend it a little and then the structural integrity was gone.

I sometimes do sidestand swivels to turn my FE390 180degrees around on super tight trails, even with luggage on it, and that puts a lot of weight on my OEM stand and it's never had any problems.

ProMoto Billet makes aftermarket stands for dirtbikes call "Kick-It" but not sure if the KTM version would fit a FE Berg.

http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25

Thanks for the link, I'm going to call them and see if they can fit a Husaberg.

As for the weak kickstand, the dealer warned me about it being weak the first time I looked at the bike. My KTM friends tell me KTM kickstands are weak, the berg's stand looks to be made the same as KTMs.
However, you're right, I don't see mention of it on this or the other large berg thread.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #3611
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,137
I'm on my 3rd kickstand, I'd say they are kind of a weak component on the bikes.
Still haven't found any aftermarket stand for it, but I haven't looked since the bike was new to me after breaking #1 stand.

One broke in a situation just like yours, on soft ground, another with me being carless and now I have my third reinforced and pay close attention to it.

Coming up from the bottom the stand is hollow for about 3.5 inches and mine broke right after the hollow part starts each time. I found an aluminum rod that just fit, jammed it in there and had a new slightly larger foot welded on the bottom.
So far so good.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #3612
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Thanks for the link, I'm going to call them and see if they can fit a Husaberg.

As for the weak kickstand, the dealer warned me about it being weak the first time I looked at the bike. My KTM friends tell me KTM kickstands are weak, the berg's stand looks to be made the same as KTMs.
However, you're right, I don't see mention of it on this or the other large berg thread.

They are known to be weak. Anyone that likes to dismount their bikes by standing on the peg and swinging their leg over to stand down is really asking for it. That puts all your weight on that little kickstand.
Mine's been fine, but i treat it delicately.
The foot is small, so changing that would be a big plus.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #3613
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Mine cracked at the top across the hole the bushing and mounting bolt goes through. The flange on the bushing also cracked and deformed allowing the stand enough slack to push outward and past the stop that keeps it from folding forward.

Other than the sinking in the ground tip over I have not put any stress on the stand other than normal side stand duty.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #3614
zimi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Hi guys, just finished the Tuareg Rally with my 640 Adventure. Most other riders have much lighter bikes, ktm 450, 530, suzuki dr z 400, Husqvarna and I saw quite a lot of Husaberg 70.

Now I am thinking about buying a Husaberg to prepare my next rally bike. The bike is almost perfect as it comes, need only rear fuel tank, and few instruments..

I will not be able to compare these bikes before buying it. I will buy second hand and I wanted to ask if there is any difference in reliability between the 390, 450 and 570.

The about the year. Is there any difference between the models 2008 until the last ones produced in 2012?

About the engine, is there really a sensible difference between a 390 and a 450?

thanks!!!
zimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #3615
motoxer667
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
I have a friend that is looking to purchase a 2011 FE390. Anything he should look for? Reliable? Any reason to stay away from this bike?