Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
V Saarela
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by francs View Post
Probably, I had perfect weather, only one day of rain, but that day temperature droped to 4°C (end of june) .
Don't know if it was private, we went one way and returned through tunel.
I remember Turtagrö road where my only option was paying with creditcard? First time I ride this road, about ten years ago, I had to put cash in a envelope.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
Rauven
I like the cold...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldorean View Post
Hello adventure people,

I`m Michael 30 years old and i`m going on my first road trip this late spring.

Now since i`m a very VERY insecure guy i want to challenge myself and throw myself in the deep not planning anny places to sleep or eat or what so ever.

The questions atm :

What do you people advise as route navigation ? i`m thinking about buying a Garmin 660LM but if you people say a mobile phone ( i`m getting the newest HTC one in 3 weeks ) is good enough i`m in to listen why.

How do you people think about what to pack ?
I`m doing it on a V-Strom 650 with a original Suzuki suitcase set and have room on the passenger side for bags. How many clothes do you take with you normally ?

I`m planning to go there for 2 to max 3 weeks is that to long for a first time ?

What kind of tires do you people have on your bikes when roadtripping because i`m thinking about Heidenau but i dont know if they are realy tarmac friendly or not ?

TY for the answer pre-hand and i`m looking forward to see the discussion open up.

P.S. anny advice on a good tent for a *not yet advanced camperboy* ( never pitched a tent myself unless you have a dirty mind )

Greetings Michael.
Hi Michel,

Using HTC phone for navigation. Google maps works well, but remember it's aGPS, so most often You will need a data connection to find the position. Finding gps signal without it can be pain in the ass. So consider data roaming costs or buy a local prepaid.

I drive a DL650 to with my girlfriend and there is absolutely no problem with fitting into the original boxes. Usually except the camping equipment (tent, selfinflatable sleeping mat, blanket, sleeping bag, small camping kitchen with a tiny travel frying pan/pot) i pack 4 or 5 tshirts, 1 or 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of sweatpants, some socks. For driving in norway even in summer remember to pack at least 2 pairs of wool underware + wool socks (evt. some other type of thermal underware) because in the mountains the temperatures still can drop to nasty 4 degrees and rain. Usually I pack in iterations. I prepare version one stack, and iteration after iteration I remove stuff from it. You can always wash Your clothes or in case of emergency buy new (if you want to go all spoiled rich person ;) ).

I think 2-3 weeks is just fine to do all the must see. So driving the west coast, Geiranger fjord, the troll road, atlantic highway, Preikestolen, Lofoten, maybe Nordcap (worth more as an achievement than the views). It's a normal country people live in, so you can find all of the stuf there is in civilised Europe ;)

Good tent. Select a tent based on the weight and size when it's packed up. The lighter and smaller the better.
Rauven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
Mortis (the Brit)
Seeker of the truth

Oddometer: 92
is the HTC an android phone? If so, download Navfree. It's brilliant. I have a Samsung S3 and it has a built in GPS receiver so you don't need a data connection. Which is nice.
Mortis (the Brit) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #19
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
I would recomend to take the boat from Hirtshals in Danmark to Larvik in Norway. Then head to Stavanger via Suleskarsvegen http://www.suleskarvegen.no/content/kart-map
From ther you can drive Hardangerfjord to Bergen and from ther to Stryn and Geirangerfjord and then the Trollstigen(troll-ladder/road).
Thers a lot of options and great roads to exerience. But the average speed is not gona be high and thers a lot of places to stop and take pictures, so i would advise to take it day by day. Thers ferrys going to Stavanger and Bergen from Hirtshals.

I whould pack som duct-tape and tire puncture fix, super underwear.
Put everything you need and whant/think you would pack for the trip, remove what you cant fit and dont realy need and then remove alitel more.
The most important thing you have to pack is a big fat smil and a posetive atitude :-D
Android phone is probelby good enough but buy a proper road map so you can check that the GPS is taking you on the right course.

I live 4 hours north of Bergen and 3 hours from Geiranger, if you have questions or need help just ask :-D
Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #20
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

http://goo.gl/maps/LCEBf
Her is my suggestion, start and finish in Larvik. But you could start in Larvik and finish in Bergen/Stavanger/Oslo to take ferry to Danmark or wich way you like.
Betwen point D and E is Trollstigen(troll-ladder/road).

Got a litel messy after point I (Lærdal tunnel), but i think it is becouse the road is winter closed. Ther is a 24.5km long tunnel wich you can get som cool pictures, but is much more funn to driv over the tunnel on the old roads.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #21
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oh and i would wait to May befor going to Norway, earlyer you can risk that the best mountains road is still closed.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #22
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
There is also a ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand.
The Nordsjøveirn following the south west coast to Stavanger is also nice.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
Aldorean OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ty for al the great tips and advices.

Can somebody tell me how i can make a route on google maps to then show it to you guys ?

I`m trying to save it but doesnt work for me.

Tommorow i will talk more about what i collected to bring with me !
Aldorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #24
KingKenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
To the right of the "Get directions" and "My places" buttons, there is a link button. If you press it a drop down menu comes down and you can copy the link there and post it on the forum.
KingKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #25
rosmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
The time I went I just used an old fashion paper map, not that many roads up there !!! Yes, bring good rain gear. Remember, it stays light until 2200 hours or later, so you can cover a lot of ground.

rosmoe screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 04:47 AM
rosmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #26
Aldorean OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ok allot is now decided, i`m doing the 3 week trip alone.
I`m going there the last 3 weeks of june and i will be going without planning anny resorts campings hotels or hytters !

The navigation is gonna be my New HTC One with the earlier sugested navfree software wich works like a charm!

The bike is gonna be fit with metzler tourance tires and I will be packing in my 3set Suzuki suitcases! Behind me on the passenger seat will be my tent and sleeping materials! I bought 2 kriega us5 bags to carry my tools Ty-rips ducttape and other stuff I will hang them on my crash bars!

I am still looking for a good way to display my map on the bike without a bag on the tank!

The tent is still a hard thing to find because I'm on a limited budget of €100 euros rougly!

For nos this is what I have on paper!

As far as the route goes I'm sticking to the lower west coast of Norway with Bergen as the highest point! From Bergen in will travel east to Oslo and from Oslo to Stockholm back to Amsterdam!

I'm stoked to go and for your further advice ofcourse!

Aldorean screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 04:57 AM
Aldorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #27
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Some links that may be useful:

National Tourist Routes in Norway - www.nasjonaleturistveger.no
Home - | www.suleskarvegen.no DON'T MISS DETOUR TO LYSEBOTN! (possible to take ferry through Lysebotn to Stavanger but good idea checking if fully booked in high season, only departs 1-2 times/day)
Lysefjorden Turistinformasjon
Nordsjøvegen DON'T MISS
Welcome! - Nordkapp.no
Norges beste MC-turer - VG Nett om Bil og trafikk and google translate

I actually happen to think satnav is a brilliant thing...but agree Norway is fine doing by map as there aren't that many roads. Can be a bit of a hassel getting hotel rooms as on small places german/dutch/japanese buses sometimes fill the entire (and maybe ony) hotel. In cities (Bergen, Stavanger etc) it's worst during weeks because of business travellers. But if camping I guess OK (never camp myself).

Oh, and in case isn't mentioned, you can camp "everywhere"in Norway unlike many countries.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE

pingvin screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 05:13 AM
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #28
KingKenny
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I think you are making a mistake by not going further north than Bergen.

You should go from Bergen to Geiranger, Geiranger to Åndalsnes, and then down E136 and E6 to Oslo.

Doing so you will see more of the fjords and "Trollstigen". Its 455km from bergen to Åndalsnes, from Åndalsnes to Oslo its another 450km. (Think its 500km from Bergen to Oslo).

Would make you stay in Norway for a day or two more.
KingKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #29
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

I agree with the King, go futher north.
IMO Oslo is not that special and you realy dont miss much. Id rather see Ålesund and Trondheim. And thers much more fun roads.

Tom-Nor screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 09:19 AM
Tom-Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Geiranger

Trollstigen

Ålesund

Trondheim