ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,240
Sacramento Dual Sport Dads

While I'd like to do more rides with my buddies out in the boonies, I also have the duty to teach my ways to the next generation. I'm finding more and more dads in the area who ride but who also have kids who like to ride, too. And here's the inspiration for this thread.

For example, on MLK day, three of us Dad's in the know took our kids out to Prairie City for a day of riding in some lovely wintertime sunshine. Unbeknownst to me, another Advrider (Scott, you know who you are...) was out there with his kids, too. so that begged the question, why couldn't we have known ahead of time? And though taking our kids out may seem to be a chore when all they want to do is ride the kiddy track, it can be a bit more tolerable if you're there with other Dads in the same situation (like me!) And here's the best part. I've found that kids ride more (and better) when around other kids they know. Sure, it's peer pressure. But sometimes it's a good thing. And if you're thinking your kid may do better or need a bigger/different bike, you're likely to get a free test ride if you have a group of kid-bikes to choose from. And nothing like a little face time to set yourself up for some hand-me-down gear, too. And maybe bring your bike(s), too. With enough parents around, some Dads can take off and have a little fun, too.

I intend to use this thread to announce any days where I take my boys out to go riding and wouldn't mind some company. No rules, no fees and no B.S. Just hang out and watch the kids ride, and maybe get a chance to take a spin yourself, too. Please use it for any times you intend to ride, too.

Nothing better to get kids away from the boob-tube and other electronic devices. And yes, it can be a workout:

Let's get the next Advrider generation started right...

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

So, for the first go around I propose Prairie City on Super Bowl Sunday. It shouldn't be crowded, and I already have one Dad and son in on it. I'll have my dark maroon van and white enclosed v-nosed trailer (no markings) parked in between the kid tracks at Prairie City. The other Dad should have a flatbed trailer and a Volvo Wagon. I'll be there until about 2:00 or so (yes, I do have a Super Bowl party with the neighbors). If you have questions about this coming ride post here or PM me.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Cap

Jut saw this thread!

We were out there yesterday from 11-4:30, most of the time in the back open area and on the little trails near the shade structures. Took them to the kids track mid afternoon. I could not drag the boys off the bike. They were fighting over it. I guess I have to buy a 2nd one now...anyone have a clean xr/crf100 in the 8-900 range?

They are still really green with the shifting/clutch but getting the hang of it...and they want to go next weekend.

Oh and thanks to cap ron and mikerrd400 for the gear. It is all perfect.

Now to get my bike running, have not ridden in the dirt in a year...

I'm going to shoot for Sunday 10-11ish.

Cheers
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser

NorCalslowpoke screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 12:42 PM
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

I'm out for Sunday, forgot about other plans. But will be there saturday mid morning to mid afternoon. Silver Honda Ridgeline.

Cheers
Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Superbowl Sunday pre-game

We're still on for Sunday. I've got two dads other Dads lined up with their young-ens, and one other who's trying really hard to make it work for him and his boys. The weather should be perfect, and I'd imagine the park won't be crowded. I'll be arriving by 10:00 and leaving by 2:30, but at least one Dad will likely stay through the game.

So come on out and say 'Hi!'.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Sunday March 10

In light of current events in my ACL recovery, I'm taking my boys to Prairie City this Sunday. No set time, but most likely mid-morning. Don't know how long we'll stay. In keeping with the theme of how this started, I do have a small jersey and chest protector ready for a new rider. If I'm lucky, I'll have my XRR ready for a test ride to check jetting. In light of current events, I don't think I'll be riding it (http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....3&postcount=38). Any takers?

So let's get out and at least enjoy this soon-to-be drought we're heading towards....

Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,471
my boy is only 2.6. i cant wait till he gets the training wheels off the bicycle. hopefully i can get him on a bike next winter. also need to get a travel trailer for the wife and baby, once thats in place, its game on.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Great idea Cpt. Ron

too bad your too far away

airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Longriders View Post
my boy is only 2.6. i cant wait till he gets the training wheels off the bicycle. hopefully i can get him on a bike next winter. also need to get a travel trailer for the wife and baby, once thats in place, its game on.
Welcome to the Club! Before you know it, he'll be passing you.

Our family rule was no motorcycle riding until riding a bicycle with no training wheels. The biggest issue with the transition from peddles to throttles is the chassis weight. Throttle stops and remote kill switches makes it quite easy, actually. Getting them to pick it up and start it on their own is a whole new game.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
Great idea Cpt. Ron

too bad your too far away

Thank you! It is a fun thing, isn't it? And can you believe my 14-yo actually got off my XR650R and said, "Wow, that's fun"? Am I in trouble? (sure he can't start it yet, but that's just a freshman year of football or rugby away......)

Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Welcome to the Club! Before you know it, he'll be passing you.

Our family rule was no motorcycle riding until riding a bicycle with no training wheels. The biggest issue with the transition from peddles to throttles is the chassis weight. Throttle stops and remote kill switches makes it quite easy, actually. Getting them to pick it up and start it on their own is a whole new game.
Our rule when I was 5. Helmet mandatory. Also, if you can't start it you can't ride it. Had a yzinger 80 when I was 5. Got a yz60 when I was 6.5. We rode desert most big holiday weekends and us kids always had the kiddy track laid out. The kill switch was on the handlebar, not in dads hand. Lol also I remember I wasn't allowed outta first gear on the pw! Wow good memories
Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #12
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

Sacramento Dual Sport Dads History

This recent talk brings me back to how we ended up where we're at.

First just wrenching:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58912

Then riding:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166509

My oh my have they grown....

Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Cpt. Ron OP
Advrider #128

March 23, 24 2013

Prairie City is hosting the Sacramento Pits, a trials organization this coming weekend. I've participated before in the beginners class and had a blast. It's a great family environment without the competitive headaches that can occur with other "racing" events. Your 14&under kid can also enter the event on any bike at all. Maybe I'll throw BryceBug out there on my BRP. Or if you just wish to watch, the sections are spread around the park making for a great excuse to take your young'n out and away from the kiddie track. Watching what some of these can ride over is just plain amazing.

http://www.sactopits.org/wp/wp-conte...PCflyer13C.pdf

I'm going to try to make it depending on sports schedules.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Kids boots/gear free

Couple of nice folks on here (cap Ron & Mikerd400) were nice enough to give me some kids gear.

I want to send the vibe along.

I have some nice dirt bike boots size 4 kids, and a smaller chest protector that I will not need.

Any one in Sac area need them? I'm near downtown.

Cheers
Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
I'll be out at on PC this Sunday 3/24. No bikes this time. Taking out the quads this time.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote