ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #151
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,773
If anybody wants to join me and my buddy.

We are hauling our bikes in the wee hours of the morning from Mt. Vernon, Illinois to the little town of Evansville, Illinois where we will eat breakfast at the "Farmers Table" restaurant. It's a small town and won't be hard to find.

After breakfast we are suiting up and will ride all the daylight hours. The route will be West of there along the Mississippi river a lot.

I anticipate arriving at the restaurant about 8AM---and hope to be riding by 8:30AM.

If you don't see my bike or haul vehicle in front of the restaurant---I"m probably parked down by the river unloading ???
I don't plan on riding in any slick mud or trails. Just easy scenic backroads.
Where we going you ask ??? You'll know tomorrow evening if you go
Navigation ??? My tailight.
Arrive with a near full tank of gas.
It's gonna be nice !!!!

I'll be driving this---so look for it.



And riding this.

__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #152
dwthump OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: So. Illinois
Oddometer: 290
Husky!

Big Dog, I love that Husky, I think it's 75-100# lighter than my KLR with more horsepower.
You also need to get an aftermarket skidplate asap, it looks like there are a lot of areas that look vulnerable to rocks, etc.

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
dwthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #153
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwthump View Post
Big Dog, I love that Husky, I think it's 75-100# lighter than my KLR with more horsepower.
You also need to get an aftermarket skidplate asap, it looks like there are a lot of areas that look vulnerable to rocks, etc.

Darren

*It's a KLR, I'll catch up*
That was an old picture------I've had this skidplate on there for quite awhile.

It sure needed that !!

BigDog

__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #154
Hazman27
The Haz
 
Hazman27's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
If anybody wants to join me and my buddy.

We are hauling our bikes in the wee hours of the morning from Mt. Vernon, Illinois to the little town of Evansville, Illinois where we will eat breakfast at the "Farmers Table" restaurant. It's a small town and won't be hard to find.

After breakfast we are suiting up and will ride all the daylight hours. The route will be West of there along the Mississippi river a lot.

I anticipate arriving at the restaurant about 8AM---and hope to be riding by 8:30AM.

If you don't see my bike or haul vehicle in front of the restaurant---I"m probably parked down by the river unloading ???
I don't plan on riding in any slick mud or trails. Just easy scenic backroads.
Where we going you ask ??? You'll know tomorrow evening if you go
Navigation ??? My tailight.
Arrive with a near full tank of gas.
It's gonna be nice !!!!

I'll be driving this---so look for it.



And riding this.

Do you have intentions of heading North or South? I'm thinking I might, but coming out of St.Louis, I was kinda thinking of hooking up en route...
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #155
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman27 View Post
Do you have intentions of heading North or South? I'm thinking I might, but coming out of St.Louis, I was kinda thinking of hooking up en route...
Hey Hazman--------I'm afraid the only way you'll find me is to be in Evansville for breakfast. I'll be heading all directions during the day----------there's a lot of backroads out there---you'll never find me.
You can make it .

BigDog
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #156
Hazman27
The Haz
 
Hazman27's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hey Hazman--------I'm afraid the only way you'll find me is to be in Evansville for breakfast. I'll be heading all directions during the day----------there's a lot of backroads out there---you'll never find me.
You can make it .

BigDog
Yeah, I thought so. Although Evansville is not so far from Red Bud, And Red Bud isn't so far from St.Louis...I don't know. Biscuits and gravy does sound good. If I'm there I'm there. Thinking out loud.
Hazman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #157
brad1098
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: So. IL.
Oddometer: 775
Sorry I missed you this time BD. Had to work.

Lets go to west side of Shawnee sometime
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #158
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1098 View Post
Sorry I missed you this time BD. Had to work.

Lets go to west side of Shawnee sometime
Yes---that sounds good.

Today was a great day---but didn't seem like it at first--------we started riding in a cold rain then it cleared up with not a cloud in the sky and we ended up getting hot !!!! We rode from 8:30AM till dark-----man I'm tired.

I stuck a stick in my eye while riding a secret trail of mine. I had pretty much gotten my eye closed but it's sore this morning and all red-----I think it's going to be OK.
Should have goggles on when trail riding. So easy for a stick to sneak by your glasses.

Mark
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 07:29 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #159
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,773
Attention Sieg

Attention Sieg,
And others.

Sieg--remember that muddy road you took me and brad down and I ran my Husky off in a mudhole-----just Northwest of Kaskaskia state park---I think it's called "Klondike" road ????????---------that sucker was gated off and locked at the Southern entrance--with the usual unfriendly signs of course.

Then just South of there we went down that really steep hill and road that trail out to the river----that's where I stuck the stick in my eye---------I wish that trail was 300 miles long----really nice.

They haven't started rebuilding the shelter at Kaskaskia state park yet.

Also----we rode by Illinois state caverns-------------it was gated with a lock and posted "Cave Closed". Kind of looked like to me it was closed for good---not for sure. I've looked in that cave years ago----but wasn't prepared to explore in it. I guess this is another sign of the states economy.

BigDog
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #160
brad1098
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: So. IL.
Oddometer: 775
Yeah, Big Dog. We remember that road




It's a shame it was gated off, was the gate new, I don't remember seeing one.
brad1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #161
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1098 View Post
Yeah, Big Dog. We remember that road




It's a shame it was gated off, was the gate new, I don't remember seeing one.
I don't remember one being there either Brad---maybe Sieg remembers ???

But the gate had a chain and lock in it.

I didn't try to get down it from the North.
BigDog
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #162
kanur
cu new er
 
kanur's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 676
Bigdog do you remember this overlook you took Sanjoh an me up to? The ruts in the trail going up there were so deep they would have swallowed our 950's if we would have slipped into them.



The forest service must have found some money. I went up there yesterday and you could drive a Mercury Marquis up there now. They completely ruined it
__________________
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nuth'n to say. Mike Cooley DBT
kanur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #163
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 4,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanur View Post
Bigdog do you remember this overlook you took Sanjoh an me up to? The ruts in the trail going up there were so deep they would have swallowed our 950's if we would have slipped into them.


The forest service must have found some money. I went up there yesterday and you could drive a Mercury Marquis up there now. They completely ruined it
Yeh----everybody and their dog will be up there now----I've always wondered who and why they maintained that road.

Nice bike !!!

BigDog
__________________
WR250R 2008
KTM EXC 450 2006
Husqvarna TR650 Terra 2013
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #164
sieg
Beastly Adventurer
 
sieg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Attention Sieg,
And others.

Sieg--remember that muddy road you took me and brad down and I ran my Husky off in a mudhole-----just Northwest of Kaskaskia state park---I think it's called "Klondike" road ????????---------that sucker was gated off and locked at the Southern entrance--with the usual unfriendly signs of course.

Then just South of there we went down that really steep hill and road that trail out to the river----that's where I stuck the stick in my eye---------I wish that trail was 300 miles long----really nice.

They haven't started rebuilding the shelter at Kaskaskia state park yet.

Also----we rode by Illinois state caverns-------------it was gated with a lock and posted "Cave Closed". Kind of looked like to me it was closed for good---not for sure. I've looked in that cave years ago----but wasn't prepared to explore in it. I guess this is another sign of the states economy.

BigDog
SOB! I was through Klondike 2 weeks ago! It has been blocked on the left side of the tracks for years, but I’ve been riding the road on the right side since I was a teen.
The signs to IL Caverns are still in place! I was by it Friday, maybe just closed for the winter? (Or a Obama cost saving thing) The last time I was in the caverns I was a kid with my dad. It was not open to the public then but my dad knew the owner. I think it’s still privately owned but his heirs have a deal with the DMR to give tours.
__________________
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.
Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #165
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: St Louis MO
Oddometer: 1,267
Illinois caverns

Rode out that way once, and the sign stated White nose fungus had been found in IL caves, so it was closed. Recently in the news again, IL found more white nose fungus, which has been killing millions of bats nationwide. It is easy to carry in on your clothing and boots, so caves are closed to public in MO and IL.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/outdo...nois-bats.html
__________________
2008 WR250R(Anywhere)
2009 Versys
Oh2RideMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014