Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #27709
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
A beautiful and hard ride today.

Strong effort! I bet that last short, steep pitch really sucked.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #27710
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
A beautiful and hard ride today.

Very nice. I have a brother in Berkeley and a sister who just moved from Emeryville to Concord. I had a chance to do part of that route with my brother a few years ago.
Schnickelfritz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #27711
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Cold front just came through, and now it is 60 degrees with nary a cloud in the sky. Rained just enough to pack the dirt at the local trail. I believe I shall head there now!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #27712
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Race Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Knock em dead, Killer!
Today was the Pick Your Poison mtb race at Booker T Washington state park. After being goaded into participating by Brandon, a riding buddy, I decided to enter the Cat2 mens over 40 class. I've never done a real mtb race before and figured it might be fun. Due to an unusually high turnout, the Cat2 races got started an hour late. This was great because with 90 seconds remaining until the start, I had to answer the call of nature with a hurried piss take. By the time I got back to the start line, I ended up on the second row. Then we were off like a shot through the grass section, which included a mud pit to keep us on our toes. I ended up behind a guy in a green jersey who ended up being a rolling road block. He held me up in the woods for about 2 miles. When I (and 2 others)finally got past him it was a relief. Shortly thereafter, I got unclipped in a bumpy section which cost some seconds. Time to make up some ground. Then, as I was coming up on another rider I got completely unclipped with both feet off the pedals. A resounding "FUCK!" could be heard throughout the woods. It took about 20-30 seconds to get the pedals where they needed to be and one guy passed me as I desperately tried to get clipped back into the pedals. My right shin was bloody and I was starting to get pissed. After getting remounted it was game on. I started catching people and passing them as space allowed. The trails at Booker T are tight single track with very few passing zones. I finally figured out you have to make your own. With the exception of Mister Green Shirt Shitwhistle, most of the racers were very good about letting me pass. I stopped counting at 6 but I probably got by about 15-20 guys. I felt sorry for the single speed dudes who were audibly struggling on the climb sections. Those guys are nuts. As I emerged from the woods after the first lap I looked at my timer and it said 39 minutes. Dammit. I rode it in 38 flat yesterday while goofing off and learning the course. This place is normally run clockwise, but the race organizers decided to run it counter clockwise today, which made it alien to me. Time to pour on the coals. People were dropping like flies. About 5 miles into the second lap, I got caught by a Cat1 racer and hung onto his wheel for a few minutes. Then he checked out and I had the trail all to myself for awhile. Near the end of the second lap I noticed a racer standing below the bridge in the creek. He was banged up, but otherwise alright. That had to hurt. It was a race ender for him. After seeing that he was OK, I pushed hard to the finish. Result: 2nd Place. The leader beat me by 2 minutes. I never saw him. The MC called him "Sandbagger" when it was our turn on the podium. It's frustrating to know I could have hung with him or taken the race, but I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. Gotta be first into the woods.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #27713
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,179
awesome ride/results !

zippy screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 02:44 PM
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #27714
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Today was the Pick Your Poison mtb race at Booker T Washington state park. After being goaded into participating by Brandon, a riding buddy, I decided to enter the Cat2 mens over 40 class. I've never done a real mtb race before and figured it might be fun. Due to an unusually high turnout, the Cat2 races got started an hour late. This was great because with 90 seconds remaining until the start, I had to answer the call of nature with a hurried piss take. By the time I got back to the start line, I ended up on the second row. Then we were off like a shot through the grass section, which included a mud pit to keep us on our toes. I ended up behind a guy in a green jersey who ended up being a rolling road block. He held me up in the woods for about 2 miles. When I (and 2 others)finally got past him it was a relief. Shortly thereafter, I got unclipped in a bumpy section which cost some seconds. Time to make up some ground. Then, as I was coming up on another rider I got completely unclipped with both feet off the pedals. A resounding "FUCK!" could be heard throughout the woods. It took about 20-30 seconds to get the pedals where they needed to be and one guy passed me as I desperately tried to get clipped back into the pedals. My right shin was bloody and I was starting to get pissed. After getting remounted it was game on. I started catching people and passing them as space allowed. The trails at Booker T are tight single track with very few passing zones. I finally figured out you have to make your own. With the exception of Mister Green Shirt Shitwhistle, most of the racers were very good about letting me pass. I stopped counting at 6 but I probably got by about 15-20 guys. I felt sorry for the single speed dudes who were audibly struggling on the climb sections. Those guys are nuts. As I emerged from the woods after the first lap I looked at my timer and it said 39 minutes. Dammit. I rode it in 38 flat yesterday while goofing off and learning the course. This place is normally run clockwise, but the race organizers decided to run it counter clockwise today, which made it alien to me. Time to pour on the coals. People were dropping like flies. About 5 miles into the second lap, I got caught by a Cat1 racer and hung onto his wheel for a few minutes. Then he checked out and I had the trail all to myself for awhile. Near the end of the second lap I noticed a racer standing below the bridge in the creek. He was banged up, but otherwise alright. That had to hurt. It was a race ender for him. After seeing that he was OK, I pushed hard to the finish. Result: 2nd Place. The leader beat me by 2 minutes. I never saw him. The MC called him "Sandbagger" when it was our turn on the podium. It's frustrating to know I could have hung with him or taken the race, but I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. Gotta be first into the woods.
That's awesome! Congrats.

Me? 3hrs easy to moderate. Met a buddy at our usual meeting spot and rode around the loop. How is it I can have a headwind 3/4 to 4/5 or a ride? Riding a loop no less!

M
Old 03-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #27715
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
Quote:
Today was the Pick Your Poison mtb race at Booker T Washington state park.
Outstanding!

Now, I know not to call you, on my next trip to Chattanooga. Nobody wants their ass handed to 'em.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #27716
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 AM   #27717
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Been enjoying mine
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #27718
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,567
Be nice if they had my size.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #27719
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,307
Comfortable grips?

I've tried repeatedly to get used to the round grips that come standard on a mountain bike, be they the OEM variety or aftermarket ones made of softer foam rubber. None of them seem to work for me; all of them leave my palms red and sore after less than an hour of riding. It's particularly bad when I ride trails littered with large roots, rocks, and the occasional fallen tree. Going over those causes the full weight of my upper body to come down hard on my palms, whereas on smoother trails I try to use my back muscles to keep the pressure off the handlebars. 'Contour grips', with a large flat shelf area on which to rest my palms work well, but they're heavy and not ideally shaped for when you're standing up on the pedals. Are there any other round grips I should try? Or maybe there's something wrong with my riding posture that I can correct?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #27720
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,276
I've had great results with my Ergon GP1 grips. I know they're contour, but, I don't notice any difference when standing up. For sure, I'll never go back to a round grip.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: