WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Ahhh. a Wee strom guy no doubt...

Heads zup. We gotta hater.

You should be a weather forecaster...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,836
The ST is a beautiful bike.
If you can comfortably afford it, go for it.
If you have to make payments on it and it sits in the garage, well, do you need it or want it.
KLR's have ridden around around the world carrying people who have managed to lead a frugal lifestyle and can now afford to ride around the world whilst people who get buried in the consumer lifestyle stay home to pay off for stuff they they want.
I honestly do not see the sense in spending 3 X klrs on an extra cylinder and nicer suspension.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
k woo
308Master

Oddometer: 79
I made the switch from my beloved KLR to a Tenere. Have never looked back in 30,000+ miles
k woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
The ST is a beautiful bike.
If you can comfortably afford it, go for it.
If you have to make payments on it and it sits in the garage, well, do you need it or want it.
KLR's have ridden around around the world carrying people who have managed to lead a frugal lifestyle and can now afford to ride around the world whilst people who get buried in the consumer lifestyle stay home to pay off for stuff they they want.
I honestly do not see the sense in spending 3 X klrs on an extra cylinder and nicer suspension.
It doesn't make sense if you never go over 60mph.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc32amg View Post
It doesn't make sense if you never go over 60mph.
Whats the rush?
I made it to Panama and back on my KLR. 10,500 miles round trip including Belize. I'm now planning on riding it to Morocco from Ireland.
I'm sure it will make it and I'll be in no rush down there or back.
Will I see you there on your ST?

Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #22
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
I've got a friend that lets me ride his S10, and it's a great bike. Love everything about it, except that you have to run premium/high octane fuel in it. Call me crazy, but that's a deal breaker for me. I've called Yamaha HQ to see if there was something I could do to the bike to run regular fuel and they said "nope". I know lots of folks are going to refer to what Nick Sanders did with non-premium fuel on his epic trip. Great bike though and it would fit ALL my needs except that one. Good luck!
Well I can say that I run "mid octane" 90% of the time. regular 91 RON 10% of the time and I have tried that 98RON premium stuff and all it did was lower my fuel economy a bit. In Australia you don't get premium "out west" that often.

The reason they like to recommend premium is more because of the extra cleansing additives and the fact that the one day you ride it through death valley in 115F heat lugging it up a mountain with a pilion and 500Kg of gear it will be safe.

So it's basically just an idiot proof recommendation. If AVGas was readily available they'd probably recommend that.

Anyway, the bike gets 4.5L / 100Km (50+ US MPG) on a trip so really if it bothers you you should probably be looking at an NC700X Honda.

But that non issue aside, if the OP can afford it AND IT REALLY SUITS YOUR NEEDS and it's affordable it's a good thing. Don't stretch the budget just for a bike though and leave yourself with no money to ride.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 02:40 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Whats the rush?
I made it to Panama and back on my KLR. 10,500 miles round trip including Belize. I'm now planning on riding it to Morocco from Ireland.
I'm sure it will make it and I'll be in no rush down there or back.
Will I see you there on your ST?

I'm not in a particular rush but I feel much more comfortable jockeying through traffic when commuting between south and central Florida on the ST. And when not commuting I have more fun on the ST then I had on my KLR. It's a better tool for my purposes and that's not a slam on the KLR.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #24
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Who cares how much it costs?

The OP never mentioned cost as a factor....

Since I've been riding my Tenere I have thought about getting a KLR. A buddy got one last summer and I rode it a bit and I was thinking a decent used KLR is much better for dropping on a trail or in a river bed than my Tenere......easier to pick up too.

The Tenere is perfect for the long ride in a lot of different conditions, great no complaints.

The KLR is the bike I wouldn't mind hurting, dropping, and would be willing to take more chances on off-road.

I'm 6'-3" and haven't had to change anything except to get risers for the bars on the Tenere.....for what that's worth
Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
burnoil OP
Schrodinger is right

Oddometer: 30
Well, gentlemen (can I use that word here? hehe)

I traded the KLR for the new mistress. Raven. Rode her home 66 miles and HOLY CRAP! KLR who??? I got a pretty good trade value, too.

Don't get me wrong, the KLR does some things well, but this new beast is a whole other world!

I'm happier and it only took 66 miles.
burnoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,061
It's too late now, since you're in the garage knocking dust specks off your Tenere, but I would recommend evaluating your riding needs first. If you're the guy that hits the occasional gravel road to get around traffic, and spends a bunch of time hammering down the pavement, the beast will suit you like a dream. No doubt it's smoother, faster, stops better, etc.

On the other hand, the fact that it costs 3x, and only weighs an extra 150lbs, will tell on itself if you do any real off-road riding. While one does occasionally see a beast on a trail, it is a rarity, and they are a handful, even in the hands of a skilled rider. If you plan to ride trails, rocks, mud, etc, with any finesse and aplomb, a true dual-sport would suit you better. When I ride my beast off-gravel, I'm gingerly and slow with it, because I don't want it to end up looking like a clapped-out dirtbike, and because I dont' want my body to feel like a clapped-out dirtbike from muscling it around.

Like wheatwhacker, the most important thing is to be riding and exploring. It doesn't matter what's in the garage if you put in 7 16hr days each week to make the payments.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #27
burnoil OP
Schrodinger is right

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHulgan View Post
It's too late now, since you're in the garage knocking dust specks off your Tenere, but I would recommend evaluating your riding needs first. If you're the guy that hits the occasional gravel road to get around traffic, and spends a bunch of time hammering down the pavement, the beast will suit you like a dream. No doubt it's smoother, faster, stops better, etc.

On the other hand, the fact that it costs 3x, and only weighs an extra 150lbs, will tell on itself if you do any real off-road riding. While one does occasionally see a beast on a trail, it is a rarity, and they are a handful, even in the hands of a skilled rider. If you plan to ride trails, rocks, mud, etc, with any finesse and aplomb, a true dual-sport would suit you better. When I ride my beast off-gravel, I'm gingerly and slow with it, because I don't want it to end up looking like a clapped-out dirtbike, and because I dont' want my body to feel like a clapped-out dirtbike from muscling it around.

Like wheatwhacker, the most important thing is to be riding and exploring. It doesn't matter what's in the garage if you put in 7 16hr days each week to make the payments.
I appreciate that feedback. As for serious off-roading I will turn to my KTM 450EXC for true desert bombing. It is heavily kissed with desert rash. I will use the Tenere for the first description you detailed. Street and the occasional fire road for exploring. For me, that is perfect.
burnoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoil View Post

I traded the KLR for the new mistress. Raven. Rode her home 66 miles and HOLY CRAP! KLR who??? I got a pretty good trade value, too.

Don't get me wrong, the KLR does some things well, but this new beast is a whole other world!

Congrats on the new ride! It is a great bike.

It looks like the transition from lust to infidelity happened lightning quick.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:

Ever wondered shy it feels light to ride.

Leverage!!

Just looking at it nekkid gives you an idea.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #30
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:

Get a set of K60 Scouts for it and you will be ready for the zombie apocolypse. Great bike ,good luck with it.