ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Captain Canuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
here it
Attached Images

XR 650R
Gas Gas 320
DHC-2 (when moto's are too slow)
Captain Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
MOTOSOTO
Light Fuse and Get Away!

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab
I'm in as time permits. My HP is apart until I get my tank from Markus.... I have buddy in LA, Steve Soto, owns a 990 too. He would probably do a weekender. Jump on your 990 and head to Tucson. I am guiding a small group through Copper Canyon Nov 8. GSers mostly. If we are small enough, I may take them from Batopilas to Cerocahui and west to Alamos. Return route is very open. We will cross at Auga Prieta and take a 50 mile dirt route to Huachinera, then on to Bamori our first night, Creel via Bashaceachi night 2, Batopilas night 3, then we will see how everyone is doing. Mike

****Can't make the ADV-Trip this weekend, but I could do an XR ride easily. The KTM's been in the shop for about a month and the day it gets out-you can count on me blazing down to San Ignacio, for sure...I've been down there via the SCORE route on the XR about six times and twice on the 990...

Steven David Soto

末末末末末末末末末末末末

MOTOSOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #18
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
CC, I was wondering about that route south of San Carlos as well. Never been to San Carlos on a bike, just in my truck on a surf trip. From what I remember, it really looked like the "end of the trail" so to speak but then again I was in surf mode and not dirt bike mode.

When I get down there to surf this winter I'll do a little exploration in the truck and ask some of the locals. One thing is for sure, if there is a way though, its certain to be pretty burly.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #19
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck

I guess there is no route south of San Carlos? anybody?

D
I vaguely recall a ride report where some guys on 450's did it. It was full on gnarly iirc. They carried back packs only, carried some extra gas, had slimed tubes due to all the cactus,and had a helluva time. I've been wanting to truck my 520 down to San Carlos and work on that route now for a couple of years. Dustjunkie and I just need to synch our schedules. Ohhh - and I need to fix my 520.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Captain Canuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thanks Guys, I guess i'll just give it the shoulder check on the way by next week. We are unsuported to La Paz - so we don't have alot of time to explore.

Speaking of routes to explore, those two mining roads north of Catavina that head east into the mountains. The area looks spectacular on Google earth. Possible route to Sea of Cortez????

Last year saw moto tracks up the El Ronoso Arroyo when we went by. If we got gas I might sniff up there a bit.

D

XR 650R
Gas Gas 320
DHC-2 (when moto's are too slow)
Captain Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
crashmaster OP
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
Thanks Guys, I guess i'll just give it the shoulder check on the way by next week. We are unsuported to La Paz - so we don't have alot of time to explore.

Speaking of routes to explore, those two mining roads north of Catavina. The area looks spectacular on Google earth. Possible route to Sea of Cortez????

Last year saw moto tracks up the El Ronoso Arroyo when we went by. If we got gas I might sniff up there a bit.

D
Yeah, I think I know where youre talking about. That road about 5 miles north of Catavina. KInd of takes off to the north at first then winds its way slowy eastbound after quite some miles and Y's, then gets pretty nebulous. Sniff if you want since you have the gas, but about halfway though its going to be rough as hell before it literally almost dead ends into bushwhack and very nebulous single track if its the same road that I'm thinking of....dumps you just south of Puertecitos. Its alot of first/second gear work too. Definately a hardman type ride for sure.

You might consider prerunning it in your Beaver

Its been a couple years, before my GPS days, and I'm glad I did it, but I can pretty much say that I probably wont ever do it again. It will beat the hell out of you. ROCKS, ROCKS, ROCKS, then plenty of deep soft pillowy sand in very narrow tracks. I remember one particluar very gnarly hill climb, you dont wnat to biff it because its narrow and steep drops on both sides of the line. Yeah, you will get a few million of those little hair like thorns all over your arms in the narrow sandwash as well. I think it took us (3 of us) about 9 hours, but we had some issues with flats, case cover punctures from rocks, getting lost up wrong dead end canyons and backtracking, then trying another way through.

However, if you pick the correct way its supposed to be something like 75 miles or so to Puertecitos. Sorry I cant be of more help, the guys I was with knew the line (but no GPS) and we still got eff'd up a few times. But yes the route does exist and it is spectacular, but most of what you will notice is the rocks in front of you! I havent talked to anyone who has done it recently so it may be a bit easier now, but who knows?

crashmaster screwed with this post 11-07-2008 at 05:10 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #22
skeelo221
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Can anyone show me on a map what "shortcut" gaspipe is talking about to Chapala? I'm going in Dec. and I need to ride this bit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe View Post
These pics are from that shortcut out to the Chapala Turnoff. I rode that area along the Pacific in '05, and it's still one of my favorite places in Baja...

skeelo221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Wonder if anyone has this track.. Clicking on the link leads me to a blank page. VLYCIRIOS.gpx
Mucho gracias!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
crashmaster - thanks for posting those tracks.

Attached is another including a more northern section from Quayaquil to Punta Canoas.
This is one of my favorite areas of Baja. Desolate, beautiful, endless...

We rode the BBCH route east-to-west a couple years ago on 950's. Good stuff! Good stuff! The bushy sandwash out to the coast was tough to follow. I know there is a shortcut from near to San Antonio to ~8miles north of BoLA Junction on Mex1. Haven't taken it yet, but you can see it clearly on googleEarth.

-M
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #24
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
Well, what a coincidence
Also thinking to get back down there this December, so I was browsing this forum to see if there were any new and useful tracks to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo221 View Post
Can anyone show me on a map what "shortcut" gaspipe is talking about to Chapala? I'm going in Dec. and I need to ride this bit!!
The 'BBCH.gpx' file in crashmaster's post (#5) is the one you want.

Don't know what happened to my 'VLYCIRIOS.gpx' file

I'll see if I can find it, maybe add some more tracks for that area

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
skeelo221
Adventurer

Quote:
Well, what a coincidence
Also thinking to get back down there this December, so I was browsing this forum to see if there were any new and useful tracks to try.

The 'BBCH.gpx' file in crashmaster's post (#5) is the one you want.

Don't know what happened to my 'VLYCIRIOS.gpx' file

I'll see if I can find it, maybe add some more tracks for that area

-M
Thanks! Got the BBCH track loaded to my GPS - going to hit that for sure. Got a group of 5 of us all on various 650/640's - I'll wait to see how we are feeling after the first day or two to decide if we should hit that west to east or take the "easy" route and take it heading west. Can't wait!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #26
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,367
Here is an updated file with most everything I have collected in that area.
ValDeCirios.gpx

All of these tracks were recorded (by myself or others), not just traced.
Wish some were higher res, but should be good enough.
Names and colors have no particular meaning.

If anyone knows of any new permanent fuel/Pemex locations, let me know.

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
skeelo221
Adventurer

Quote:

-M
So "Satan's Arse" really is a good time?

I have a couple fuel waypoints that I've gathered from google maps (which they claim are current Pemex stations) as well as some other stations I've gathered from the Moon Baja handbook (edition is a couple years old so take them with more of a grain of salt). I'll post them up tonight

Edit: Fuel waypoints uploaded. Again I have not personally confirmed these stations - I have just collected them during my research. All the Pemex waypoints I have confirmed with google street view
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Baja Fuel.GPX (6.2 KB, 81 views)

skeelo221 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 05:41 PM
Old 11-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #28
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Mucho gracias

Quote:
Here is an updated file with most everything I have collected in that area.
Attachment 313947

All of these tracks were recorded (by myself or others), not just traced.
Wish some were higher res, but should be good enough.

-M

Sweet!!! thank you so very much
Hope to be doing some of this stuff next year
Hill Climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #29
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
san borja area tracks anyone?
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #30
skeelo221
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
san borja area tracks anyone?
Here's my track from Bay of LA across to Hwy 1 via the San Borja Mission. It's not a super technical route but I highly recommend it! Very nice views and the folks who run the mission were great. I asked if they had any lunch (to buy) and we got some really nice tamales and rice/beans---it was very good! I was just there on 12/28/12

Would have liked to stay longer to check out the hot pools they had there but we were on a bit of a time crunch that day (lame).

Not far after you hit the dirt leaving Bay of LA the views are like this:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-u...20Baja_049.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Bay of LA, Borja Mission, Hwy 1.GPX (188.0 KB, 63 views)