Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #46
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
this is why I love mine so much. 2nd gear at white horse gear NH.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #47
sierraoffroad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
someone pm'd me a good question: is this bike any good in gnarly terrain? I answered with based on rider experience this isn't the machine for deep mud or harsh offroad conditions. use the right tool for the job. this is a terriffic all around machine, and will only ask for oil changes and gas on occasion.
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #48
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
Laugh

A good answer for a good question!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #49
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,494
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #50
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
someone pm'd me a good question: is this bike any good in gnarly terrain? I answered with based on rider experience this isn't the machine for deep mud or harsh offroad conditions. use the right tool for the job. this is a terriffic all around machine, and will only ask for oil changes and gas on occasion.
The biggest fear I have had is getting pinned under it after a bad get off. Never had one but almost did a couple of times. This bike punishes mistakes like a hung over cotton plantation boss.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 AM   #51
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,343
In challenging conditions it's about the rider first and foremost. Sure, I'd much rather tackle deep mud on a MUCH lighter off-road bike, but the same thing can be said about every middle or big class "adventure" bike. All on the heavy side.

I like to think of the V-Strom as a streetbike, that has a few small advantages for off-road use compared to Bandits, CBF's etc full street machines. Like 19 inch front, a tiny bit longer suspension (good on bumpy roads) and bashplates, crashbars etc. much more easily and widely available. Oh yeah, the "enduro"-type seating position and spacious ergonomics are also an upside for me.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #52
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

It is hard to see around the huge nose cone when in the rough stuff.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #53
AlexL
Newbie Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I wonder if DL650's are flying off the shelves right now? I saw Suzuki is currently running 0% financing and a trip to my dealer shows considerable mark-down off MSRP. Planning on pouncing on a 2012 Wee tomorrow myself .

I ride therefore I am.
AlexL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #54
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
It is hard to see around the huge nose cone when in the rough stuff.
The 2012 one solves that.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #55
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
At times the clarity of "IMHO" or "To each his own" is clearer than ever.
I find the vstrom 650 to be a great entry into the "adventure" bike segment.
Incredibly affordable in entry fee and maintainance.
Ample "do-all" motorcycle.
Quick in the 6-7k rpm range. Not fast, but quick
And so on and so on.

That being said with only 10k miles on it I'm ready to upgrade. Everything on the DL is budget. So if you're on a budget or simply don't mind lower spec everything she's perfect. That's not a slam. The wee is my 21'st motorcycle and I can honestly say its one of my favorite. But more so because of the world it opened me up to as opposed to the motorcycle itself. If that makes any sense.

Ill take a slightly higher entry cost and maintainance schedule in exchange for a more visceral experience. But like I said, this is IMHO and to each his own.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364008470.953044.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  113.6 KB
Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #56
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I bought the 2011 wee last year for a cross Canada trip from Alberta to Ontario, then all the way back to British Columbia. It's the best 25.000 km's I have ever put on a stock motorcycle.

I did some Bark-Buster hand guards/ Givi slide up wind screen/ Heundie K-60 tyers/ 12 v out let/ Crash bar foot pegs/ Throttle lock/ and a air pillow for the distance. My stock suspention feels soft, and the body loves it !!!

V-Stroms are turn-key motorcycle with the options to make it your own at an affordable cost like someone said. I use my wee for 80% highways/ 20% dry gravel roads in Western Canada and it has never let me down.

It looks sporty for the hyw and evil when in the off road mode !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #57
trailerpark ninja
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Maybe I am missing something by not spending another $10K on a bike, but I am glad; I suppose my ignorance is bliss.

I bought a Wee from an inmate here in 2010. It had been through AK and Canadia, with 30K on the odometer. It came with crash bars, a skid plate, HT boxes, and heated grips.

I have a 40mi commute to work every day, and 3-5 days out of the week, 6 of those miles are off-road, down a couple of tank trails and a dried up creek bed ("dry" being a relative term). With my sub-par Shinko 705's and my less-than-ideal Wee, it gets me to work every day, carrying all manner of crap with me, and having a blast.

I've taken it down miles of highways, mining roads, forest service roads, staircases, creek beds, etc... I love it. I've put 40k mi on the bike in the last 3 years or so, and I am deployed for 9 months out of every 18. Every now and then my eye starts wandering to a bike that might be more capable for this or that purpose, but I always end up just buying more stuff for the Wee.

No doubt there are bikes out there that are better at anything and everything, and for some people, it's worth the extra money. If I had the disposable income to pay cash for a Tiger, I would probably do it. However, I really don't feel like I am missing anything with the Wee.
trailerpark ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #58
supertino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
WeeLOVE

I had an '05 wee that I put 21K on in two years. During that time it shared a garage with my '05 FZ-1. I toured all over the country and and did track days on both bikes. The wee was a better bike in almost EVERY catagory except horsepower. More comfy,better mileage,more fun at the track, etc. It was heavily farkled when I traded it for a VFR. To this day one of the biggest mistakes ever. The VFR was a very good bike...but, the Wee just does everything very well.
I have owned 19 bikes since 1970 and to this day I can honestly say the wee was the best value for the money. I have a Triumph Tiger 1050 now and will probably go back to a wee soon. All my friends have huge- horsepower sports tourers and used to kid me about my lack of horspower. After our first group ride through some very tight and twistie roads in TN/NC they were all very quiet as I waited on ALL of them at the next intersection. BTW, when I owend my wee I was 6'1" 285 lbs.
I'm still 6'1" but now weigh 220. Can't wait to see how a big weight loss helps the suspension. Talk about overtaxed!
Cheers,
Tino
supertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #59
firebrick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
Going to go ride a new strom on friday. I like how its been characterized here. I rode the 800 tiger and trying not to love it as Ive always had issues with bikes that have too much power. Right now my ninja 250 is my go everywhere bike and ill be interested to see how I like the 650 strom. It may be too heavy for what Im looking for. I may need to test ride the cb500x when honda brings it out. This is why you have more than one motorcycle, too many decisions.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #60
Reposado1800 OP
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerpark ninja View Post
Maybe I am missing something by not spending another $10K on a bike, but I am glad; I suppose my ignorance is bliss.

I bought a Wee from an inmate here in 2010. It had been through AK and Canadia, with 30K on the odometer. It came with crash bars, a skid plate, HT boxes, and heated grips.

I have a 40mi commute to work every day, and 3-5 days out of the week, 6 of those miles are off-road, down a couple of tank trails and a dried up creek bed ("dry" being a relative term). With my sub-par Shinko 705's and my less-than-ideal Wee, it gets me to work every day, carrying all manner of crap with me, and having a blast.

I've taken it down miles of highways, mining roads, forest service roads, staircases, creek beds, etc... I love it. I've put 40k mi on the bike in the last 3 years or so, and I am deployed for 9 months out of every 18. Every now and then my eye starts wandering to a bike that might be more capable for this or that purpose, but I always end up just buying more stuff for the Wee.

No doubt there are bikes out there that are better at anything and everything, and for some people, it's worth the extra money. If I had the disposable income to pay cash for a Tiger, I would probably do it. However, I really don't feel like I am missing anything with the Wee.
If an owner doesn't replace the shock and upgrade the forks they have no idea what they are missing.
The stock shock is absolute crap as is. The forks are sprung and dampened bad too. I took the plunge and went for the Progressive 465 shock with remote preload adjuster. It works great. If the Progressive shock is great imagine what an Elka is like. The forks can be easily fixed with the cartridge emulators and springs and fork brace. Very easy and great results.