Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #196
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,092
I have been working on individual rider's press releases this evening which has taken far longer than I'd hoped...

Still no results online and this year the Orga are hosting them on a server (which doesn't seem to be working!) with no paper alternative - tedious!

I will of course pass on any info as soon as I can, and will upload copies of my interviews with my featured riders tomorrow... I mean later today... It is currently nearly 3am and I have to sleep - Rammstein will be growling in around three hours from now... and you thought the riding was hard - this is the journalistic equivalent of Malle Moto - I'm even sleeping on a mattress outside on a balcony for the full effect!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #197
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,921
Thanks Jen, for your efforts.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM   #198
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Thanks Jen, for your efforts.
x2!!!
Thank you!
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #199
Scotty Breauxman
Baja Breaux

Oddometer: 279
Excellent coverage/Good stuff Jenny- I bet its not easy doing "it all"

DO we have any word on American Peter Hardy? Id love to hear how today treated him.

Thanks a ton

Scotty Breauxman screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 09:18 PM
Scotty Breauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #200
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,683
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #201
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I have been working on individual rider's press releases this evening which has taken far longer than I'd hoped...

Still no results online and this year the Orga are hosting them on a server (which doesn't seem to be working!) with no paper alternative - tedious!

I will of course pass on any info as soon as I can, and will upload copies of my interviews with my featured riders tomorrow... I mean later today... It is currently nearly 3am and I have to sleep - Rammstein will be growling in around three hours from now... and you thought the riding was hard - this is the journalistic equivalent of Malle Moto - I'm even sleeping on a mattress outside on a balcony for the full effect!

Jx
Would it kill them to play some Wagner in the morning, just for a change?

As before, thanks Jenny!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #202
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Day 1 video,

I am transcribing Timi's phone call as I type, in brief: she has switched to the Amateur category, the soft sand today was exhausting. Orga is a bit disorganized, no tracking and some small details leave a few things to be desired. She also had a stupid tumble while driving the bike to the briefing last night and hurt her foot while wearing trainers, no big problem but will potentially be a nuisance tomorrow.

Guillaume, via his FB:

EARLY
It's 4:35 and I can't sleep anymore. I went early to bed (about 22:30), so I had my few hours of sleep.

PAIN
At the moment I'm afraid that I can't drive on this morning. My right forearm is hurting a lot, not shure if it is from falling of the bike two days ago or because I was pushing it to hard yesterday in the dunes.

RANKING
For the moment I still don't know which place I made yesterday, I will have a look after writing this.

YESTERDAY'S STORY
---------------------------------

LE MANS START
I had a real good start, driving behind Oscar Polli, laying in third position. Marc Smith was leading. After a couple of minutes I could pas Oscar and we where swapping places a couple of times. At CP 2 and CP3 I was in 5 position, I was told by the timekeepers. At that time I was driving in a very controlled way, took no risk at all.

PHOTOGRAPHER
A kilometer or so after CP3 a photographer from the organisation took some pictures at a medium size water hole, so I drove through to get a nice picture.

WATERHOLE
About 500 meters further I saw a car crossing a big water hole (70-90 meters wide, 70-90 cm deep) and there the shit happened. I followed the car without thinking about the risk of going into the water hole. I was driving to fast, the water was spraying all over me, no problem, I liked that. After 30 meters my bike stopped running at one third of the waterhole. A second bike just behind me made the same mistake. His bike fell over, got down under water, but he could pick it up real quick, started it and could drive on. My bike did not start anymore, I tried for 5 minutes and called Rainer Authenrieth to send me his crew to get me out of this nasty situation. From that moment on there were no bikes or cars passing the water hole (of course). After 20 minutes (guess) a big truck came with 2 helpers and 3 minutes later the bike was safe. We tried to jump start, no result. I took of the saddle and both front tanks and took of the air filter: it was 100%WET. Shit... Then I saw water in the air filter box, even WORSE. Shit, shit... Try to start without air filter, no result. Demounted the spark plug, thanks god we have no electrical problem, the sparks where there. After mounting the spark plug, we tried again. I was almost giving up, but thanks to my 2 helpers I tried again... and yes, this time the engine was giving some positive sounds but still not running. So after trying again and again, another she was running. This whole procedure took us about 90 minutes (guess).

LESSON LEARNED
Don't drive into the water if it is not really necessary. In the desert, this should be possible .

RACING
After mounting the air filter, tanks and saddle I started to drive again. Now I was in the racing mood, overtaking a lot of bikes. Nice feeling, but because I was in racing mode, I used a lot more energy than when I drive economically in rally mode. In the end of the very hard stage, with many soft dunes, I ran out of energy so that the last couple of kilometers where even harder than all the almost 6000km of the Africa race. In this first stage I picked up the big heavy bike at least 20 times, probably even more then 30 times, I did not count. This could also be the reason for my insured right forearm. Like I wrote, it hurts a lot, I will start driving and hope the pain will be forgotten by the adrenaline production of my adrenaline driven body .
Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #203
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,274
Jen and Bordovich,

This is brilliant. Keep it up and thanks.

Ray
Old 03-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #204
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 946
A few photos coming also from inmate Disodbediente, here
https://alessiocorradini.squarespace.com/
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #205
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
......this is the journalistic equivalent of Malle Moto - I'm even sleeping on a mattress outside on a balcony for the full effect!

Jx
Well you still have a mattress right?

Great work Jen!!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #206
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Google translates Mark Smits into Marc Smith. Smits is a former mx world championship contender who went to the Tuareg in 2012 for the first time, ending up top 5 I guess. I think Mark is late forties or early fifties but rides with such ease.. Its nearly scary!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 AM   #207
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Charlie's summary from day one:

Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #75 Charlie Rauseo - Team RMS/IYSK Wines

In recent years Ex-Dakar rider Charlie Rauseo has primarily supported a number of US and North American riders with mechanical service assistance during the Dakar and other International rally events.

This year he decided to dust off his rally riding boots once again, together with one the USA’s perennial favorites - the mighty Honda XR650R - and entered the Tuareg Rally the old-school way - sleeping in a tent next to his bike and doing his own servicing for the duration, alongside the RMS supported IYSK Wine team riders.

Despite riding a big heavy kick-start only motorcycle, Charlie still had that ever-present smile on his face at the end of a long, hard day. “I probably got the most riding in of anyone who finished [in time] today” he grins - having made it to the final check with just five minutes to spare. “Of course I got it really stuck a couple of times” he continues “I mean really really stuck - it was so buried you couldn’t see the wheels!”

Certainly the heat of the day and the soft powder-like sand meant that when riders inevitably got stuck, recovery was particularly arduous for those on the bigger, heavier machines.

“I used up a lot of energy today” he admits “Basically I had to drag it out any way I could - even upside down, and then kick start it again - it really winded me. “The second time it happened was about half an hour before the cut-off, and I was six kilometers from the end of the stage. "I got the bike righted and pointing downhill, but then I just had to lie down on the sand... I really felt as if I was going to have a heart attack. "I had to yell at myself to get up and get going again in time to make the finish - it’s been a while since I’ve found myself in that position.”

Charlie Rauseo is part of the US rally team supported by Rally Management Services and If You See Kay Wines during the Tuareg Rally.

Stage result: not available at this time

Overall position: not available at this time

#75 Charlie Rauseo... digging those sandy socks!

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 05:24 AM
Old 03-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #208
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Tony's summary from day one...

Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #87 Tony Schattat

After a long day preparing his own bike and helping his Macad team-mates solve various mechanical and electric problems prior to scrutineering, Tony was looking forward to just getting out and riding a competitive stage.

Prior to this event, Tony had completely rebuilt his original Yamaha WR450F rally bike, and made a number of improvements to the [fuel] weight distribution, together with a completely new cockpit featuring his latest RNS navigation equipment.

“It was definitely a tough day today. The sand was incredibly soft at certain points - every time you get stuck, you have to throw it on it’s side and drag it out - I must have picked up the bike at least thirty times!”

“The bike worked very well, although about half way through it felt like I picked up a gearbox problem between 1st and 2nd gear - although that may just be the way I was shifting when in the dunes, as the water tank is very close to [the toe of] my boot.”

“Compared to racing in the sand in Abu Dhabi (in 2010), the dunes seem to be much softer here”
he continues - “I’m looking forward to tomorrow - we’ll be heading north away from these dunes and following more pistes. I had no issues with navigating [via the gps] today, but there will be more detailed navigation tomorrow - so I will have to follow the roadbook more cautiously as the possibility of getting lost increases.”

#87 Tony Schattat - safely back in the bivouac after a tough first day in the dunes:

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 05:18 AM
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 AM   #209
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Mark's summary from day one...

Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #76 Mark Brincat

This is Mark’s first desert rally, and the first time riding in sand on the big KTM 690 Rallye Replica bike.

“It was ok on the [general] going - the problem was in the dunes” he begins. “You couldn’t really tell what was soft and what was hard - you’d be going along and suddenly the bike would just dig in, or if your body was slightly in the wrong position, again it would dig in - and it was really very hard to predict what would happen” he explains.

“There were four sets of dunes, and as the day progressed and it got warmer, so each successive dune got more difficult. “I eventually completed the first lap, but decided at that point I should conserve my energy for the rest of the rally - so elected to return to the bivouac and take the time penalty for the second half.”

“I still really enjoyed myself though” he smiles “I didn’t get stuck all that many times, but when I did, it took a lot [of time and effort] to get going again. “So I just took my time, and ended up stopping every so often to rest on the top of a dune.”

“I have to admit there was one quite embarrassing moment heading into one of the checks - I went over a dune and the bike just stopped and through me over the bars... so I ended up sliding my way into the checkpoint!”

#76 Mark Brincat - First time in sand for Mark on the big 690RR:
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #210
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Ned's summary from day one...

Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #97 Ned Suesse - Team RMS/IYSK Wines

Baja 1000 racer and Dakar 2012 finisher Ned Suesse must be one of very few riders today who genuinely enjoyed the conditions of this soft and sandy special stage. “I didn’t think it was too bad - I’m not saying it wasn’t difficult, it was certainly hard and technical... but then I like hard and technical!” he laughs “So I’d agree it was tough - I just think some riders must have a different definition of what is ‘good’ and what’s ‘bad’...”

Certainly Ned’s choice of bike - a KTM 505 XC-F Enduro bike fitted with a lightweight ‘Rally Moto’ fairing assembly and oversized gas tank - meant it was far more nimble than many of the other [larger] machines who’s riders correspondingly struggled in the dunes.

“This bike is just so much fun” he says with a huge grin. “It has a lot more power than my [450cc] Dakar bike” he explains - “I’d come into something, and knew immediately that if I’d been on the 450 I’d be stuck here... but with the 505 you can just wind it on and it simply ploughs through.”

Having completed the course in a more than respectable time, Ned is confident that he was able to navigate to each waypoint and control, despite his concern about the accuracy of the paper roadbook. “The riding was fun, and the route was excellent - but I’m not sure you could have completed today’s stage without relying [heavily] on the GPS to direct you... whereas I’m more accustomed to using a GPS to simply confirm a decision [I've] made from the roadbook” he explains.

Ned Suesse is part of the US rally team supported by Rally Management Services and If You See Kay Wines during the Tuareg Rally.

#97Ned Suesse - really enjoyed the 505 in the dunes: