Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
ralph1464 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
ATA Carnet for Shipping to Thailand/Cambodia?

Is a CDP required for either Thailand and/or Cambodia from US by sea?

And if NOT, would it still make the temporary import process easier and avoid the VAT?

Thanks!
ralph1464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph1464 View Post
Is a CDP required for either Thailand and/or Cambodia from US by sea?

And if NOT, would it still make the temporary import process easier and avoid the VAT?

Thanks!
No.

(And normal registered vehicles should come under Carnet de Passage, that's a bit different to ATA carnet).

I'd ship by air to Bangkok, but if it had to be by sea, then to Port Klang Malaysia, but there is one downside, you might need the carnet for Malaysia. Bangkok seaport at least was corrupt, dunno how it is today. Shipping to Cambodia could be interesting, I would not want to try it. You should not have to pay taxes for temporary import.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,472
I dont think you need a carnet for Malaysia either. I ride into Malaysia all the time with my Thai resgistered bike. No paperwork involved for the bike at all, they just stamp your.passport a 90 tourist visa on entry.

Indonesia does though, which requires a bribe to get in without a cdp. There was a ride report about it a few years.ago.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Asia Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
I dont think you need a carnet for Malaysia either. I ride into Malaysia all the time with my Thai resgistered bike. No paperwork involved for the bike at all, they just stamp your.passport a 90 tourist visa on entry.

Indonesia does though, which requires a bribe to get in without a cdp. There was a ride report about it a few years.ago.

Fully agree, went through the malasian border with my thai registered bike a couple of time and all they ask for is a valid passport.
Asia Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post

The OP asked specifically about shipping. Malaysia is officially a carnet country.

I have also crossed with my bike from Thailand to Malaysia by road, and had to walk up to the customs office, where I finally found somebody, who would stamp my carnet. He didn´t even bother to come out to see my bike! So I agree it seems very relaxed, ON LAND BORDERS.

But still, shipping into Malaysia by air or by sea could be a different story compared to a land border. Many travellers ship there from India, and therefore they´ll have the carnet, which they´ve needed for India. If you get stopped on a land border, fine, just turn around, stay somewhere overnight, and return next morning to try your luck again... but you can´t do that, if you have an overseas shipment staying on a customs warehouse at an airport or seaport.

Good luck trying to bribe your way into Indonesia. I met a few bikers there, with very sizeable problems with the customs at Jakarta airport and Surabaya seaport, stuck for weeks or months. They both had carnets for their bikes, and the other one had been living in Bali for years, so I think he´d already handled that mess, if a simple bribe did the job. (But yeah, it is Asia, so I guess you can succeed even without a carnet, if it just happens to be your lucky day...)

Pecha72 screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 06:01 AM
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote