Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
Rounded the head and couldnt get that thing out no matter what I tried.
I never saw what they used to do it though. Might have been higher heat than I was willing to go...
One of the advantages of the tack weld, fair bit of heat also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
If you order a new rear drain bolt, also get one of the replacement bolts for the under engine oil screen to eliminate the allen head.
Droptarotter is talking about this part. Part# 77038017000. OEM replacement for the problematic front oil screen bolt. Nothing to do with the drain plug you're having issues with but probably good to fix.

Another good option is http://www.proracedesigns.com/product-rfsdrainplug.html which replaces both oil screen bolts (you don't really need to replace the side one). Nice plus is you can safety wire them together.

Quote:
I have never had a problem with the allen head, but I use the proper torque when tightening.
A torque wrench is a must when working on KTM's.
It's pretty hard to get a torque wrench between the drain plug and the frame rail. I'm curious how you do this.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Shaving found after drain plug battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
Could you take a dremel with a small cut-off wheel or grinder bit and re-cut the flats so a smaller socket will fit? Make sure you use a six point socket.

Got the dremel out. cut a slit into it and didnt budge. Instead drilled a hole big enough for strong screw driver to go through and there we go!!!! off

Hahahahaha and here is the kicker...found massive shavings in the oil. Skinny pin like shavings around the magnet and then also dug through the oil and found more! I suspect it is the cam bearing but who knows it might be gearing. Anybody got some ideas?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #18
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datan556 View Post
I suspect it is the cam bearing but who knows it might be gearing. Anybody got some ideas?
Take some pics and post at RFS forum on ktmtalk.com, this is where the motor builders hang out, they'll be able to advise you best.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #19
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

It's pretty hard to get a torque wrench between the drain plug and the frame rail. I'm curious how you do this.

OOPS........forgot about getting the torque wrench in there........access is best with a box end wrench, so for that I just use my click stop elbow!!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #20
Datan556 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Just read this and am surprised it is the rear oil drain bolt that the head is rounded off. It's usually the allen headed screen bolt on the bottom of the motor that usually rounds out due to over tightening.

It might be better for you to remove the motor to get a better grip/access to the rear drain plug. That's a lot of work, so hopefully the welder can get good access to weld on the bolt.

If you order a new rear drain bolt, also get one of the replacement bolts for the under engine oil screen to eliminate the allen head.

I have never had a problem with the allen head, but I use the proper torque when tightening.

A torque wrench is a must when working on KTM's.

Good luck and don't give up!

Cheers
thanks mate!!