ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
wulfgar OP
L.E.O.

Oddometer: 310
Change Zumo 660 Passkey?

I'm trying to make a BMW branded Zumo 660 play music on a non--BMW bike. Once this is placed in a mount, the device will only play MP3 through a bluetooth connection (or apparently through the BMW system if so mounted?). I've done an end-run by utilizing a 3.5 mm bluetooth adapter but the Garmin passkey number is 1234 and I need to change it to 0000. Any thoughts? I'm at the point of getting rid of this version and starting over......
wulfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,176
What are you trying to pair the Zumo to on your bike? I understand you have plugged a bluetooth adapter (which one?) into the 3.5mm output port on the GPS, that part it good so far.

Your job now is to pair that bluetooth adapter to your bluetooth helmet, correct?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
wulfgar OP
L.E.O.

Oddly enough I have avoided the Bluetooth headset. I loaded a ton of mp3s on the Zumo and want them to play on the bike. The Bluetooth headset would likely work but I am trying to connect the Zumo to a Miccus Mini-Jack RX Bluetooth adapter. The Zumo has a Bluetooth pass key of 1234 while the adapter has one of 0000. So, I'm trying to connect the two to no avail.

In its defense, the Miccus device works great with an iPhone on the bike or in a car through the standard 3.5 mm plug.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfgar View Post
......Oddly enough I have avoided the Bluetooth headset. I loaded a ton of mp3s on the Zumo and want them to play on the bike.........
What do you mean, "play on the bike" ?

MP3's on the Zumo, I get it, but how will the music get to your ears? Are there speakers somewhere that we aren't talking about here? What am I missing? Where exactly are you planning to send the music that gets broadcast from the Zumo to the Miccus via bluetooth wireless signal? If you think you are going to plug speakers into the Miccus and put them on the bike and listen to music, you can forget that idea, you will hear very little music, better off with wired earspeakers than that.

BTW: you cannot change the passkey on a zumo.

lhendrik screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 05:42 PM
lhendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,581
Quote:
I'm at the point of getting rid of this version and starting over......
Getting rid of what version?

The GPS firmware? Or the GPS?

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
wulfgar OP
L.E.O.

Caused more confusion than I intended. To restate, I have BMW Navigator IV (rebranded Zumo) but no BMW to use it with. I installed it on a Harley touring bike on a Garmin mount as the BMW wouldn't plug into the harness. The GPS function is fine but I want to play mp3 music through the bike. When the GPS is out of the mount a standard 3.5 mm cable can allow it to play music through any radio with a like sized port. However, as soon as the GPS is in the mount the ONLY way it will play music is through Bluetooth. You get a testy message on the GPS telling you such which seems odd - one would think plugging the cable into the GPS and then into the Harley radio would allow music. Apparently Garmin or BMW felt otherwise.

As an end run I bought a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the radio. It works great with all types of devices EXCEPT the Garmin GPS. They will not pair as the Garmin pass key is 1234 and the adapter has a built-in pass key of 0000. Thus, can I change the pass key on the Garmin? Or are there better options? I have always avoided Bluetooth headsets as I don't need or want the communication or phone function - I just want music.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Grandmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Caused more confusion than I intended. To restate, I have BMW Navigator IV (rebranded Zumo) but no BMW to use it with. I installed it on a Harley touring bike on a Garmin mount as the BMW wouldn't plug into the harness. The GPS function is fine but I want to play mp3 music through the bike. When the GPS is out of the mount a standard 3.5 mm cable can allow it to play music through any radio with a like sized port. However, as soon as the GPS is in the mount the ONLY way it will play music is through Bluetooth. You get a testy message on the GPS telling you such which seems odd - one would think plugging the cable into the GPS and then into the Harley radio would allow music. Apparently Garmin or BMW felt otherwise.

As an end run I bought a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the radio. It works great with all types of devices EXCEPT the Garmin GPS. They will not pair as the Garmin pass key is 1234 and the adapter has a built-in pass key of 0000. Thus, can I change the pass key on the Garmin? Or are there better options? I have always avoided Bluetooth headsets as I don't need or want the communication or phone function - I just want music.

Thanks
I do not have either device so I do not speak from experience, but the pass key should not be the issue. After looking at the manual for the zumo 660 and your Miccus adapter you should be able to, on your zumo, go to tools > Setting > Bluetooth. The manual is not really great but it looks like you should have an option to add a phone or audio, etc. At this point you should be able to hold down the power button on the miccus for 8 seconds to enter pairing mode. You should then be able to select the audio device option on the zumo to initiate a device search from the Zumo. When/if it finds your miccus you should be able to select it, and if prompted enter '0000'. This should pair the devices, unless the BMW version of the zumo does not have the bluetooth pairing options.

-Louis
Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 910
Weird - I have the Zumo 660 and have it paired with my Sena headset. All I had to do was put them both in discovery mode and they sync'd up nicely.

Are you using the Garmin motorcycle mount and wiring harness? The original harness has a headphone output jack. I would think that would plug in to your hard wire input on your headset.

The manual is not worth a lot for answering these questions.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #9
proberts27
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
I do not have either device so I do not speak from experience, but the pass key should not be the issue. After looking at the manual for the zumo 660 and your Miccus adapter you should be able to, on your zumo, go to tools > Setting > Bluetooth. The manual is not really great but it looks like you should have an option to add a phone or audio, etc. At this point you should be able to hold down the power button on the miccus for 8 seconds to enter pairing mode. You should then be able to select the audio device option on the zumo to initiate a device search from the Zumo. When/if it finds your miccus you should be able to select it, and if prompted enter '0000'. This should pair the devices, unless the BMW version of the zumo does not have the bluetooth pairing options.

-Louis
I have a Garmin Zumo 665 that won't pair with a Miccus mini-jack RX. I followed the directions as described in the manual which came with the Miccus, and your directions above which match. I also contacted Miccus Customer Support. All said the same. However, the Garmin pairs with every other device I have tried, and the Miccus pairs with an iPhone. Those two will not pair together though, and the only reason I bought the Miccus was to play MP3 files and XM through my Harley's speakers. Unless someone comes up with a solution I wasted $40 for the Miccus mini-jack RX.
proberts27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Nesbocaj
Politicians suck

Oddometer: 797
Is you phone BT'ed to the GPS or is your phone on within the range for BT?

Clear all BT connections and try again, the better solution may be the audio out plug on the Garmin and the audio in jack on the HD audio system, no?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOGTUNES-HAR...a3ef25&vxp=mtr

-any male-male stereo patch cable will do.

Nesbocaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
proberts27
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbocaj View Post
Is you phone BT'ed to the GPS or is your phone on within the range for BT?

Clear all BT connections and try again, the better solution may be the audio out plug on the Garmin and the audio in jack on the HD audio system, no?

-any male-male stereo patch cable will do.
There are no other BT devices on when I try to pair.

The reason for using BT is to eliminate unnecessary cables.
proberts27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
jle84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Louis,

I had the same problem when pairing to my Sena SMH10R headset. I got around it by selecting the "Add" button under "Audio" instead of the one under "Phone" on my Navigator IV.
jle84 is offline   Reply With Quote