Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #1681
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turder View Post
Bit of dick move to try hit on your mate's girl, especially right after the accident
Agreed. But perfectly acceptable to a PLAYBOY!
ErikY. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #1682
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,368
It would be rude not to.
5th-Elefant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #1683
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,326
The link photo deserves posting

Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #1684
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Agreed. But perfectly acceptable to a PLAYBOY!

Sorry about the OT but earlier this winter I read a book that came out about a year ago about Jarno Saarinen and it had lots of cool stories about the 70s road racing. Pretty much all were privateers except Ago & MV Agusta. Also it seemed that everybody wanted someone to beat Ago, even Italians did. Saarinen and other Finns, Swedes, Dutch etc used to travel Europe together for the whole summer racing. In the spring they would go to Italy for one-off races for prize money (money&budget were tight back then), then ride the World Championship season with few extra races here and there. Jarno had a VW van and a small trailer for the bikes (250cc & 350cc). Everybody was friends with others and no handbag tossing like today And no big motorhomes, big teams or army of mechanics. Jarno's team had two people: him and Soili. Jarno took care of the bikes (riding, servicing, set up etc.) while wifey managed lap timing, number board and helped with other things and also drove the van when they went to next race.

Once when another Finnish privateer rider Tepi Länsivuori was struggling to beat Ago's time in QP, Jarno secretly gave him a factory cylinder head that he had as an extra spare. Said it will take a second away from Tepi's laptime. It took more than that and Tepi went on to beat Ago's lap time. Also in one event, Tepi had some issues and couldn't qualify as he liked. Jarno then (maybe partly joking) said "give me your leathers and helmet, I'll ride a lap for you on your bike". Then they decided not to do this in fear of penalties, if something happens and he needs to pull over, marshalls or spectators can see that it is not the right guy riding the bike. Maybe these things were against the rules, but showed how much he cared about his friends and how the spirit was among the paddock, and also when the sport was dangerous, you wanted to help others best way you can. You never know when you might need it.

Once in Brno, Jarno was dominating the race and MV was shocked by his performance. Phil Read was lapping 5 seconds faster than anybody ever did on an MV but Jarno was still faster. MV made a protest to check Jarno's engine size, they thought (or hoped) it was over the limit. Jarno smiled and said "good, please check it" and after inspection it was right under the maximum limit. Jarno was also pioneer in many small details, like gear ratios. Back then many used only couple of different sprockets front and back, for faster track just add 1 or 2 teeth at the front, or slower track take one or two smaller and that's it. Jarno began using them as a combo, not just "one tooth smaller at the front", instead he put bigger sprocket front and back to obtain optimal gearing for example.

It will be 40 years this May since he passed away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qBbL94vUWY

Turder screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 03:40 AM
Turder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #1685
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,232
Quote:

His time in the spotlight was so brief, but when people today talk about who is the GOAT, for me, Saarinen's name is the first one I think of. I still remember the shock I felt when I read about the accident that took his life. For me, he will always be a supernova that shined brightest but way too briefly.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #1686
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,398
Motorcycles and watching racing are new to me; I started both in 2006 at age 43. So I appreciate seeing these kind of things from the history of the sport; thanks.

Quote:

ErikY. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #1687
Zeekster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
“For me the real gap is less than 0.780s,” he said. “Because Jorge worked very well and had zero problems. All the Yamaha [technical] problems were just on my bike! I was closer to Jorge until we started to struggle with our problems, so for me the real gap between us is less than half a second. But, for sure, Lorenzo is faster than me right now.”

I read this on another site my interest was in the qoute"technical problems were just on my bike" WOW!!! that sounds SO much like a Quote or two from a B Spies of last years Yammie Top team...hmmm...
The only time you have too much fuel...is when yer on fire...Mario Andretti
Zeekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #1688
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,466
Tejas !

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #1689
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,349

My brother snagged this last year when we were at F1. Awesome track!
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #1690
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,501
Smoke has been spotted over the Vatican...

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #1691
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Posted 15 minutes ago:

Marquez fastest so far at #COTA with 2'08.651 (out of 12 laps), Lorenzo 2'09.817, Rossi 2'10.580 and Pedrosa 2'11.445

Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #1692
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Posted 15 minutes ago:

Marquez fastest so far at #COTA with 2'08.651 (out of 12 laps), Lorenzo 2'09.817, Rossi 2'10.580 and Pedrosa 2'11.445
Track was cool in the AM, riders were leary of the left side of the tire. Blake Young crashed the Attack CRT machine.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #1693
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
The cool track in Austin won't be a problem for the Ducati riders.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #1694
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Smoke has been spotted over the Vatican...
Pope Valentino defies gravity at COTA

http://a.yfrog.com/img189/871/hcuqzn...vtkorbgtzb.mp4

Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #1695
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,691
@YamahaMotoGP: Lunch break at COTA . Standings: 1.Marquez 2:08.651, 2. @ValeYellow46 +0.711, 3. @lorenzo99 +1.166, 4.Pedrosa +2.794 http://t.co/RnW3eWinGS

The kid is for real
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote