Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #91
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
STFU and quit bitching you FF's.

Taking a great thread and crapping all over it. GB will come along and purge you both.
Yup, started with helpful info to the original poster. Still stand behind what I offered.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #92
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Test ride a Super Tenere. Best of both worlds.
I'd take the KTM 9xx over them any day...had the GS...it doesn't like fire roads...suspension needs a 1000e upgrade to come close to what the KTM offers out of the box...suspension components / weight distribution / balanced chassis is what you should be looking into if you're planning to have fun while riding a heavy bike on dirt. The KTM is the undisputable king of the bunch for that use....SE's or Adventure...get one while they're still available...
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #93
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post
I'd take the KTM 9xx over them any day...had the GS...it doesn't like fire roads...suspension needs a 1000e upgrade to come close to what the KTM offers out of the box...suspension components / weight distribution / balanced chassis is what you should be looking into if you're planning to have fun while riding a heavy bike on dirt. The KTM is the undisputable king of the bunch for that use....SE's or Adventure...get one while they're still available...
But then you already chose....good luck with that...
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #94
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant666 View Post

Says a guy with an all orange sig.

I would have to agree, and I too have been a long time KTM fanboy. However, and it's a big however, not all of us want to deal with the LC8 lump. I'd have a RFS or RC4 lighweight in a heartbeat, but really didn't want to deal with their bigger motor(s). I was never a fan of all that plastic shrouding either, that you have to remove before commencing any work on the bike. Since I've never worked on one maybe that is less of an issue than I perceive it to be.

And then there's the fueling issue, said to offer lightswitch like throttle control. And neither is as good of a road bike, nor for 2-up, as the Tiger.

So there you go, just a few minor reasons we chose the new Triumph.

Again, I would tend to agree, if a guy intends to ride a lot of dirt with his big bike then the 950/990 is a better tool. I also tend to think the very few that are intent on hardcore dirt with their XC chose the wrong bike. One look at the aircleaner setup and suspension should know it's a road machine adapted to some off pavement going. Those that got sucked into the theme of the ICON vid were just that...sucked in. I never once believed it to be reality.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #95
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Says a guy with an all orange sig.

I would have to agree, and I too have been a long time KTM fanboy. However, and it's a big however, not all of us want to deal with the LC8 lump. I'd have a RFS or RC4 lighweight in a heartbeat, but really didn't want to deal with their bigger motor(s). I was never a fan of all that plastic shrouding either, that you have to remove before commencing any work on the bike. Since I've never worked on one maybe that is less of an issue than I perceive it to be.

And then there's the fueling issue, said to offer lightswitch like throttle control. And neither is as good of a road bike, nor for 2-up, as the Tiger.

So there you go, just a few minor reasons we chose the new Triumph.

Again, I would tend to agree, if a guy intends to ride a lot of dirt with his big bike then the 950/990 is a better tool. I also tend to think the very few that are intent on hardcore dirt with their XC chose the wrong bike. One look at the aircleaner setup and suspension should know it's a road machine adapted to some off pavement going. Those that got sucked into the theme of the ICON vid were just that...sucked in. I never once believed it to be reality.
Well said!!!

I too chose a Tiger 800 XC over the KTM 990. It was close, believe me! The Tiger won based on MY needs/desires in an adventure bike. The looks, gas mileage and reliability were bonuses!!

All of my dirt bikes are KTM's... so I DO like orange!
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #96
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofZroad View Post

Well said!!!

I too chose a Tiger 800 XC over the KTM 990. It was close, believe me! The Tiger won based on MY needs/desires in an adventure bike. The looks, gas mileage and reliability were bonuses!!

Even better stated Z. I test rode a 990 as well and did not feel half as comfortable as I thought it would and nowhere near the smoothness of the 800.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #97
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,544
Quote:
STFU and quit bitching you FF's.

Taking a great thread and crapping all over it. GB will come along and purge you both.
Wow

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I really don't feel like I am "crapping all over" this thread at all. The man made some statements that clearly aren't true and I pointed it out, as I think we all should do as responsible members of the forum. I did not make personal insults, and I'm not here to "boo at the special olympics".
But I'm really dissappointed that more people, including you, Mr. Brown, didn't chime in and help point out the gross misinformation being spouted in the guise of opinion.

His statement, that riding 2 up with luggage made no difference in both power and suspension clearly isn't true, but can be believed for one of 2 reasons. But the issues of suspension and power should be addressed seperately.

First suspension; IT'S ADJUSTABLE.
That means something to most people, but for those who think "there's no difference" I'll explain. The engineers who designed the bike, as with all bikes, understand that differences in load affect suspension and handling. So they design systems of optimising the load carrying abilities for a range of weights. Then the marketing gurus decide just how much adjustability they can use and still hit the price point for the target consumer base. They're not going to drive up the price if the expected market segemnt won't be interested in that level of performance.
There IS a difference, and pretty much everybody knows it. Saying "there's no difference", actually means (for whatever reason) they haven't noticed a difference.

Power; Power moves wieght. That's why there's an engine in the bike. (I shouldn't need to explain this, but appearently not everybody knows) If you increase the load an engine needs to move by 20%, there can only be 2 reasons for being unaware of the loss in performance. 1. you're using substantially less than 80% consistantly, and so don't notice the defecit. 2. You can't tell the difference so you don't notice the 20% loss.

Making the statement "There is no difference" is expressing an erroneous opinion. Everybody has the right to have an opinion, but not to state thier opinion as fact and be insolent to people who can recognize the obvious errors. THAT says a lot about a man's character.

JustKip screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 09:02 PM
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM   #98
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Wow

I'm sorry you feel that way, but I really don't feel like I am "crapping all over" this thread at all. The man made some statements that clearly aren't true and I pointed it out, as I think we all should do as responsible members of the forum. I did not make personal insults, and I'm not here to "boo at the special olympics".
But I'm really dissappointed that more people, including you, Mr. Brown, didn't chime in and help point out the gross misinformation being spouted in the guise of opinion.

His statement, that riding 2 up with luggage made no difference in both power and suspension clearly isn't true, but can be believed for one of 2 reasons. But the issues of suspension and power should be addressed seperately.

First suspension; IT'S ADJUSTABLE.
That means something to most people, but for those who think "there's no difference" I'll explain. The engineers who designed the bike, as with all bikes, understand that differences in load affect suspension and handling. So they design systems of optimising the load carrying abilities for a range of weights. Then the marketing gurus decide just how much adjustability they can use and still hit the price point for the target consumer base. They're not going to drive up the price if the expected market segemnt won't be interested in that level of performance.
There IS a difference, and pretty much everybody knows it. Saying "there's no difference", actually means (for whatever reason) they haven't noticed a difference.

Power; Power moves wieght. That's why there's an engine in the bike. (I shouldn't need to explain this, but appearently not everybody knows) If you increase the load an engine needs to move by 20%, there can only be 2 reasons for being unaware of the loss in performance. 1. you're using substantially less than 80% consistantly, and so don't notice the defecit. 2. You can't tell the difference so you don't notice the 20% loss.

Making the statement "There is no difference" is expressing an erroneous opinion. Everybody has the right to have an opinion, but not to state thier opinion as fact and be insolent to people who can recognize the obvious errors. THAT says a lot about a man's character.
I can agree with your core point. I honestly DO NOT notice a difference, that's what I should have written in retrospect. Why dont we have a poll of owners opinions as stated to help out the potential buyer? Chill out on the granular dissection of every word on the internet, you just end up looking like an ass my friend.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #99
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I can agree with your core point. I honestly DO NOT notice a difference, that's what I should have written in retrospect. Why dont we have a poll of owners opinions as stated to help out the potential buyer? Chill out on the granular dissection of every word on the internet, you just end up looking like an ass my friend.

http://xkcd.com/386/
Old 03-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #100
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
lol
Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #101
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
I have the 800 XC.
I weigh 180 lbs with gear. I had one time a passenger on that bike (it was an emergency situation, when her bike failed). I can't say exactly how much she weighted. More than 120lbs (she is 6ft tall), less than 130lbs (she is thin). I adjusted the rear preload for the extra weight. No bags.

Huge difference everywhere, including performance, braking, and suspension response. I realized that if I want to have a passenger + bags on a regular base I would need something different If I want less impact on the performance of the bike (there will always be a difference, even on a goldwing or K16).

The issue is: 1) there will always be a difference, when you add a passenger; 2) that doesn't mean it can't be done. I know of many situations where people traveled with passenger and bags on bikes smaller than a 650, and I mean long distance travel. I used to do it on a Honda XL 250...when I weighted 130 lbs on a good day and the girl weighted 100lbs... + bags.

So it is just a case of what you really want, not what you really need. Unless of course we are talking about XXXXL people here...

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #102
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
I've just read thru this thread again, sitting here laughing out loud.

I'm going out to test ride the new GS water-cooler just for shits and giggles, something entertaining to do for the day with the wife, then walk the new car show at the convention center. In doing a little research on GS vs XC this thread popped up, had forgotten about it.

I'm still liking my XC, at just under 9K miles now. It's gonna need some tires pretty soon. Did some really nice trips this year on the bikes. Enjoying the hell out of all of them. Ride while you can!

Time for another road trip. Let's go Kali! (He came with as far as the races this year. We had a blast)

Here's my buddy Lonestar Bob on his GS and I, CA coast tour after MotoGP at Laguna Seca in July. Beautiful trip.