ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,012
GPS noob needs help with 60cs

I'm the guy who never programmed a VCR. Still blinks 12:00. My GPS story is roughly the same.

I bought a Garmin 60cs in 2005 for an Alaska trip, and I did register it online with Garmin. It holds only 56mb (tiny amount) of map data, so I used it without maps--just for the statistics, compass and base map. I finally figured out how to load maps years later using "Trip and Waypoint Manager" disc ("Mapsource?") and some map disc (not sure which one). I could get about 1/2 of California onto the unit at a time, and the blue trail of tracks it left behind me usually ran out before my day of riding did. Meh. Eventually lost the maps disk. Eventually got rid of the laptop with the mapping software on it. Still have the Trip & Waypoint Manager disc.

A couple years ago I wanted to update my maps and start using the 60cs like it was meant to be used. I used some kind of coupon, was sent "City Navigator North America v8". I installed it on the computer, and used the code to unlock it (it says "unlocked" now), but for whatever reason my 60cs cannot read the maps. It receives the maps, but it says "maps locked" on the device. I suspect City Nav NA v8 just not compatible with this device and never will be. Sigh.

So I went onto mygarmin.com, and I understand now that this model 60cs is discontinued, and there are no maps for it. None at all! I have a Garmin Topo US 2008 and that works--for hiking. Didn't even need an unlock code. But I need road directions, gas stations, etc.

I have a wonderful Touratech mount (non-locking) and a ram ball joint for handlebars. I have cables to wire it into the bike directly, and a cable to wire it to a 12-v cigarette outlet, neither ever used. I always used AA batteries. They last 3 days, and are sold everywhere.

I really don't want to buy a new device when this one still works great, I have the cradle and wires, and there's nothing wrong with it. So the question is, what if anything can I with it now? Are there places where I can download compatible maps for it? Do I use Trip & Waypoint Manager (Mapsource) to load them just like the original map program it came with? Do any of these work with a Mac? I have a PC too, if necessary.

My last resort seems to be tossing the perfectly good 60cs and getting a 60csx and buying a new map disc. But that's $600 at least!

Thanks, and sorry to be a noob. Brain RAM space full of other things, I'm afraid.

SFKLR screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 12:56 PM
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Wish I could be more helpful but the questions you ask would be a lot to answer but here are some thoughts;

Find an old copy of Garmin Roads & Recreation (required little memory) or perhaps a copy of City Select which still has an unlock (comes with 2 unlocks). Not sure if there are any of the old CityNav versions which were not locked. CS and CN have turn by turn and POI for gas etc.

Call Garmin and ask for a refund on the map you bought if they can't help with the install. At some point they changed to NT (New Technology) map data, not sure when that happened and that would be the only problem that may be hampering use on a non "x" 60.

Consider a Garmin 78 ($200 @ West Marine) & a few bucks for the RAM mount. You already have the map, far less then the $600 you suggested.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
+1 What Bruce said.

1) Read my 60/76 GPS class on DualSportWest.com

2) You need Roads & Rec to use with a 60C.

3) Find a used cheap ( < $75) 60/76Cx (should already have 2 gig card) and you can use City Nav.

4) Get new 78 for $200 and use City Nav.

Countdown screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 09:01 AM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

Is there an old maps disc that WILL work with my current unit? That might be the way to go.

Neither of you mentioned free maps. I guess that's a pipe dream.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Well I gave 3 options.

Roads & Recreation is a street level detail map set which has a recreation points of interest (POI) database, doesn't do auto-routing, is not locked.

CitySelect is one of the first street level detail map sets to do turn by turn auto-routing, has a services POI and came with 2ea locks which I'm sure some only used 1.

The early (non "NT") CityNavigator is similar to CS and should work but not sure about the unlocks.

The trick with CS or CN would be to find one which still has a usable unlock which may be very hard.

The Garmin "TOPO" maps up until very recently were not locked either but they make for a lousy road map and are best suited for true cross-county travel.

I didn't comment on the free (open source) maps because I don't use them because in the past they were always notably inferior to Garmin's maps. Times and needs change and you should definitely check then out. The sites that offer them might address unit compatibility.

Nothing wrong with the 60CS given it's limits but time marches on, think about how far cell phones have come in the last 10 years.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
I suspect City Nav NA v8 just not compatible with this device and never will be. Sigh.

So I went onto mygarmin.com, and I understand now that this model 60cs is discontinued, and there are no maps for it. None at all! I have a Garmin Topo US 2008 and that works--for hiking. Didn't even need an unlock code. But I need road directions, gas stations, etc.

I have a wonderful Touratech mount (non-locking) and a ram ball joint for handlebars. I have cables to wire it into the bike directly, and a cable to wire it to a 12-v cigarette outlet, neither ever used. I always used AA batteries. They last 3 days, and are sold everywhere.

I really don't want to buy a new device when this one still works great, I have the cradle and wires, and there's nothing wrong with it. So the question is, what if anything can I with it now?
First - the non-NT version of City Nav should work with the unit. If you are having problems, I'd give Garmin a call. Might be something they can do for you.

Unfortunately, you have a 7+ year old unit, and while perfectly good for lots of things, technology has passed it by and they have moved on to other bigger, better things.

It was cutting edge when produced, but now is far out of date. It is still very usable. I wouldn't get rid of it.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

My 8 track and laser disc players are on the fritz too.

Thanks. I found a couple of 60csxs for sale and will try to pick up one of those with maps already on a memory card so I can keep my accessories. Still don't understand why car GPSs have wide screens and full maps for $100, but motorcycle-worthy GPSs like the 60csx are $700 and up with no maps.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Still don't understand why car GPSs have wide screens and full maps for $100, but motorcycle-worthy GPSs like the 60csx are $700 and up with no maps.
First off they are not $700, as I posted a 78 (way better then a 60 and preferred over the 62 if hard wired) is only $200 and a 78CS about $250.

Second, the car market is huge compared to the handheld and motorcycle market put together so many more units to spread the development costs over. Also there is more competition from other manufactures and for the retailers which drive the price down.

IMO spending money on a 60CSx to save the mount is questionable logic. Try some of the free maps and see if they float your boat.

Bruce
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut View Post
IMO spending money on a 60CSx to save the mount is questionable logic. Try some of the free maps and see if they float your boat. Bruce
If on a budget, a 60Cx for $75 is understandable.

Can't understand a person on a budget is even into dirt biking unless they came from drag racing like me and it makes bike costs look cheap.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

60csx for $699.95

Mount is $115.50.

Perhaps I should shop around a bit more. All I need are some maps that work.

SFKLR screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 11:12 PM
Old 03-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

78 for $199.99 with free shipping
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=495788&catalogId=10001&la ngId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50177&cl assNum=50179

78s for $302.97 with free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-010-00864-01-Navigator-Chartplotter/dp/B003I86PJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362911429&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+78s

RAM mount for $41.05
http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049052057045071065052048085/Default.aspx

The 60CSx has been discontinued for some time now.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310

I agree with Jerry, though I wouldn't pay more then $100 for a used 60CSx.

Bruce
Old 03-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #12
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,681
Quote:
60csx for $699.95

Mount is $115.50.

Perhaps I should shop around a bit more. All I need are some maps that work.
The 60cx/csx are discontinued units. The new regular price was around $329, and they could regularly be had for well under that.

If a 60 series is what you want, look around. You should be able to find them on the used market around $200 or less.

As for a TT mount for a 60, I wouldn't.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

Thank you everyone for responding to my thread. I really appreciate the input and it's definitely pushing me to upgrade my unit.

I am still blown away by all the data that GPS technology provides. I'd love to go to a dinner party with Christopher Columbus and Magellan and show them what the telephone in my pocket can do.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
alfabc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Have you tried http://www.gpsfiledepot.com ?? You will find plenty of maps available and very friendly tutorials as well. Really helped me get more out of my 60 series unit. Get a large memory size micro SD card, load up the maps and you're good to go.

Cheers,

Bill
alfabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
SFKLR OP
Noob. Again.

Thx, AlphaBC,

The unit is a 60cs (no memory card, just built-in small memory) , not 60csx (memory card), and I sold it last week.

Thanks though!