User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
boscat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
950 to 990 parts

New to the site and to the 950/990 bikes. Just bought a 2004 silver 950 with a little damage from laying it down.
the newer bikes have tank protectors already on them. Will these fit older models? They make them in carbon fibre which are nice but also about 325 for the kit. The newer models have plastic covers on the fuel tanks which are only about 17 bucks here. Here are my questions, the bottom bolts look all the same. not a problem there i think. Do the two top bolts bolt up to the next upper fairing piece or are they into the fuel tank as well? I cant tell by picks i have seen. Last is the rear bolt. I dont think i have any where to bolt that to. Probably not a big deal if the others all line up.
thanks
boscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,721
The rear bolt does not have a mating hole.

The upper bolt with the two lower side fairing bolts. 950s had two small screws at the lower side of the tanks, where the small plastic protectors where bolted.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
boscat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
So you think they will work? As long as the two top ones line up it should be good to go. Like i said not worried about the rear one, could probably just trim them up to look good.
boscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,721
You could glue it with some silicone.

So it will not be too strongly connected. You could also make two small holes at the lower edge and bolt the small screws that hold the 950 OEM protection parts. I refer to screws #No 18 from parts Microfische.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
The OEM plastic protectors for the tanks work for the early bikes also they miss one of the mounting points the newer tanks have so you will need to trim away some material.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088

They can be made to fit. You need longer bolts for the bottom two faring "cheek" pieces because those tank guards go up underneath that part.

Note that it does take some carving on the part to make it work. Also, the back mount point for the part will just leave a hole and show the color or the tank, or you have to do something about that. What I did was take the part to the local hardware store and found a plastic cover that fit the hole. Then I took a soldering iron and melted the backside of the part so that it would not fall out. All in all, a pretty easy fix.

If you put crashbars on the bike, note that you have to carve off most of the lower vein that sticks out to clear the bar.

Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote