Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
boardrider247 OP
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 469
Latest generation street legal bikes. True dual sport or race bikes with a plate????

I've been considering picking up a new bike. Husky TE 449/511 or KTM 350/500 exc-f. Ideally it would replace my two current bikes.

Currently I have a 06 Husky TE 250 that I ride almost entirely singletrack. And a 01 KTM LC4E that I ride mostly street/fireroads. The LC4 wouldn't be much fun on the singletrack around here and the TE isn't very much fun on the road.

My question is this: Are the maintenance intervals on this newest generation of "dual sports" more relaxed like a LC4 or stringent as my TE?

For information sake the 06 TE calls for a oil change every 8hrs, valve clearance check every 16hrs and valve replacement at 40 hrs. (these are the more stringent numbers for MX use which I would consider closer to street time at high rpms). To me this does not make a dual sport bike. Any real time on the road and you are going to be changing oil every other night.

So where do the 13's fit?

Are they still calling for 8hr oil changes and only 40hrs of valve life?

I'm not expecting 3k mile oil change intervals but it would be nice to be able to go 30hrs at highway speeds. And have the valves last longer then 40hrs.

Thanks for any help in advance. I hope this isn't too rambling. I've had a few cups of coffee this morning and I tend to loose my train of thought
Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704

You'll get all sorts of answers on the question of how
much leeway there might be on the maintenance requirements
for the new KTM EXC bikes. The bikes have not been around long
enough that there is a bunch of data out there on the maintenance
routines which work well in a dual sport scenario, whereas
the RFS-engine KTMs have been around a while and there is a lot of
experience regarding how long the engines last in dual sport use.

Some people will say that the official KTM maintenance requirements
don't have to be strictly adhered to if the bike is dual sported instead of
raced. But unless you do oil analysis at every oil change so you are able
to actually know which metals are in your used oil and whether there is
evidence of accelerated wear based on the metals content of the used oil,
there is no way to really know when you've gone too far on an oil
change. But with oil analysis, it sometimes becomes apparent that
vehicles can use longer oil change intervals with no ill effects. Without
oil analysis, there's just no way to easily or quickly determine whether
accelerated wear is happening and all you can do is guess and hope your
guess is correct. Oil analysis costs money so most people don't use it,
of course.

If you must buy a new EXC I'd go with the 500 EXC without
question if you want to do much paved road highway riding.
There's no substitute for cubic inches on the road.

But if I were in your situation, and already owned the two
bikes you have, unless there was a compelling reason to
sell the two bikes, I'd keep them and continue riding them.
There's a lot to be said for owning several bikes. In a pinch
if one bike has a problem you can ride the other one, etc.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 10:06 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I've been fighting that dilemma as well, considering selling 2 bikes and getting one to replace them both. In your case I'd probably ask myself how what percentage fireroad type riding I do with the 640, and what percentage of ST you do with the Husky. If the percentage was noticeably toward the ST, I think a KTM500 would probably be a good choice, if more toward the fireroad and some street, (logging bigger miles), maybe a KTM 690 or a TE610/630 Husky would be a good choice. One thing about doing a single bike compromise is, you probably won't enjoy it as much riding it "outside it's element" as you would if you still had the two more targeted, bikes. Good luck with your decision.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '98 RXCe620
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
boardrider247 OP
Weekend Anarchist

My Husky is not street legal at the moment. Dirt only tires, non dot headlight ect ect. I ride it exclusively on ST.

The KTM on the other hand doesn't ever see any ST. A little two track. But mostly pavement and fire roads. I won't even consider riding it on the tight ST we have around here.

I know by going to one bike there will be compromises on both ends. In a perfect world I would have a 990 adventure and a 250 or 300 smoker for the woods. The only reason I am considering this is the wife and I have been talking about taking a year or two off of being adults. So we would most likely be on the road for awhile and having 2 bikes isn't in the cards.

Really my question is about the maintenance schedules and how long these newer bikes are going to be able to go when seeing true mixed use. I don't mind turning a wrench but changing the oil or adjusting valves in the middle of a week long ride isn't much fun either.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I guess I did get off track. I have a '98 RXCe620 which is basically the same as your 640 so you don't need any advice there. I also have an '07 EXC450 that has an HT oil cooler on it. I live about 20 minutes away from a good riding area and the bike is perfect for riding out there, taking a few laps, then riding home. With the HT on it, I change the oil about every 750 to 1000 miles. I don't rev the bike real hard and therfore the valves stay put pretty good. I have had to adjust the intakes one time in the 2300 miles I've had the bike. I like the older RFS design and this is my 3rd EXC450 and they have all been bulletproof. I had a friend that had an EXC525 that he ridden pretty hard on the street and it had 16K miles on it when he sold it and the only thing he had to do was replace the c-shaft seal. It still ran good and didn't smoke, and I don't think he was a real stickler for maintenance. I have not found the EXC's that I have had required alot of extra maintenance but I don't put high miles on them, particularly at high RPM. Hope this helps.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '98 RXCe620

Shooter1 screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 02:56 PM
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577
"My question is this: Are the maintenance intervals on this newest generation of dual sports" more relaxed like a LC4 or stringent as my TE?"

Having just bought a new 350 EXC, and having just read over the owners manual, the answer to this question is simple - The EXC's are as stringent as your TE, or even more so. "Replace crankshaft at 105 hours; 50 hours if used for motor sports" pretty much says it all.
You are getting F-1 technology, but it ain't free. If you buy a bike with longer service intervals, expect performance consolations.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
ropedrag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
As a Husaberg 570 owner I can add that I own a street legal race bike. Its a 15 hour change the oil, 45 hour check the valves, etc with a suggestion to replace a few engine components at 90 hours. I change the oil closer to 10 hours, the valves have never needed adjustment, and from following fellow 570 owners on the internets the engine is proving to be low maintenance for what it is and how well it performs. Some high strung engines are going to be different with regards to maintenance depending on the quality of design, machining and parts as well as the riders style.

I bought the 2011 FS570 (supermoto) version and then spent a good chunk of $ buying everything needed to properly convert (take about 2 hours) to a full on race enduro. IF and that's the whole key, I used the bike as I had thought I would, it would have been fricking awesome. Sadly it doesn't get used much on the road and really never off road. I made the mistake of buying a super sweet set up for two riding types that I've never pursued and am now dealing with selling it and shopping for a completely different bike. That said if you really know what your after, YOU can have one bike that IS NOT a compromise provided you are willing to make the investment. All in I think the 2nd set of suspension, wheels, etc... cost me about $3K

Good luck with whatever direction you go!

ropedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
boardrider247 OP
Weekend Anarchist

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Anybody out there with first hand experience with the red head huskies as a dual sport bike?

Ropedrag, that is a beautiful bike you have. I would love to try out a berg.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardrider247 View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Anybody out there with first hand experience with the red head huskies as a dual sport bike?

Ropedrag, that is a beautiful bike you have. I would love to try out a berg.

The KTM 530 EXC I sold in spring 2012 had 450 hours on it when it left - the motor had never been any further apart than valve checks and a few shims.

Burned no oil and still had OK leak down numbers, more off road than on road use as well. Not my choice for running down the highway at 100 km/h but I would not be afraid of racking up the mileage on one. The new owner decided to freshen it up over this winter whereas I may have left it for one more year, depending on what the valve adjustments, oil burn and leak down tests told me.

Replaced with a Husky TXC 449 (kissing cousin to the TE 449, same engine but a little bit different suspension) and I am already over the same column (10,000km in Street Usage) in the "Competition Use" Maintenance Schedule (70 Hours) and have no intention of worrying about a lot of the recommended 70 hour replacements till at least 250-280 hours.

The far Right column should be 10,000km:

jasonmt screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 07:06 PM
jasonmt is online now   Reply With Quote