Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #46
motog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Ok, so now done about 200miles. All is going well except that I'm getting exceptionally bored staying below 4000rpm.
Did the timing and tuned and balanced the carbs yesterday and have found that it starts a little bit easier - timing was advanced quite a lot which could explain some of the difficulty in starting.

But it's still not starting very well so I've bought an overhaul kit for the Bosch starter from EuroMoto Electrics. Will put that in next weekend and see how that goes. If that doesn't fix it I'll probably buy one of the repro Valeo starters that EME sells as well as some better quality leads. Hopefully that will sort it out.
motog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #47
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by motog View Post
Ok, so now done about 200miles. All is going well except that I'm getting exceptionally bored staying below 4000rpm.
Did the timing and tuned and balanced the carbs yesterday and have found that it starts a little bit easier - timing was advanced quite a lot which could explain some of the difficulty in starting.

But it's still not starting very well so I've bought an overhaul kit for the Bosch starter from EuroMoto Electrics. Will put that in next weekend and see how that goes. If that doesn't fix it I'll probably buy one of the repro Valeo starters that EME sells as well as some better quality leads. Hopefully that will sort it out.
Hopefully the overhaul kit contains the metal bushes, in which the starter armature runs, when these get worn the armature cocks sideways under load and the starter runs very slowly consuming large amounts of battery power.

If the repro Valeo is that same as the one in my 1070 bike, they seem to work fine.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #48
motog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
Hopefully the overhaul kit contains the metal bushes, in which the starter armature runs, when these get worn the armature cocks sideways under load and the starter runs very slowly consuming large amounts of battery power.

If the repro Valeo is that same as the one in my 1070 bike, they seem to work fine.
Yep, got the bushes and the brushes. Here's a tip for anyone else doing this: don't buy it off the EME ebay site, the price is double what it is on their website.
motog is offline   Reply With Quote