Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #31
Vlakhaas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
The QD on my 2007 GSA spontaneously split in the middle of the desert. I strongly suggest replacing the original ones as a matter of course. Cheap and easy fix that will save your butt sometime in the future.

The seat/flange on mine was cracked even worse than the pics by Jim but still no leaks or petrol smell.
Vlakhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #32
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,050
Thumb

I ordered the kit and two flange clamps and got around to replacing the QD's last week, the stock tank and pump flanges looked good still no visible cracks, one of the stock plastic male QD fittings fell apart though when I disconnected it, the guts, spring and everything, the OEM plastic fittings appear to be a major Achilles heel, I've owned the bike since new and have around 100K miles on it and had heard about people becoming stranded but never got serious about remedying the problem until running across this thread, membership has its privileges.

Jim was correct in that my 2005 takes the 90 degree QD's on both sides.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #33
The Other JC
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 202
What am I doing wrong?

So what am I doing wrong?

The day after installing the flange clamp and metal quick disconnect kit, I went out for a spin. Upon returning there was the usual waft of petrol. I checked out the newly fitted items to see a pool of petrol had collected in the small well. At least 5-6 tablespoons worth of fuel. Holy S**T was my first, second, and third thoughts.

Yesterday I remove the quick disconnect kit again, not so much sealant as I remember putting in around the threads. My thinking is that I left some old residue sealant that cleaned the thread as it went in maybe.

So I did a really thorough job again, getting it very clean, double checking.
Definitely put plenty of sealant this time, winding it in and out to check coverage. Finally happy gently applying final pressure.

Today I look and it seems petrol is again seeping out, without even having ridden the bike again.
You can see the slight yellow dis-colour highlighted, it goes half way round the flange.
I am pretty sure it will leak petrol out again.

The sealant does not seem anywhere near setting. It seemed very liquified coming out the little packet. It is also very hot here at the moment (mid 90s fahrenheit, mid 30 celcius). Not sure if that would be effecting this fix.

Any ideas?

I am running out of the sealant!!
The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #34
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Hey JC,
First, did you thoroughly clean out all gas from the threaded hole in the flange and clean the threads with carb cleaner or the like? This is important. Then you need to coat the threads with the sealant and allow it to become tacky before threading the fitting into the flange. After that let it set up for 24 hours before exposing it to gas or running the bike.
The other thing to check is if you actually have cracks running down into the threads on the flange. If so you may need to use a heavier duty sealant. Either Permatex 56521 or even JB weld. If you run out of the sealnt we provided the Permatex is a good alternative. Hope this helps,
Mike

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #35
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other JC View Post

The day after installing the flange clamp and metal quick disconnect kit, I went out for a spin. Upon returning there was the usual waft of petrol. I checked out the newly fitted items to see a pool of petrol had collected in the small well. At least 5-6 tablespoons worth of fuel. Holy S**T was my first, second, and third thoughts.

Yesterday I remove the quick disconnect kit again, not so much sealant as I remember putting in around the threads. My thinking is that I left some old residue sealant that cleaned the thread as it went in maybe.

Definitely put plenty of sealant this time, winding it in and out to check coverage. Finally happy gently applying final pressure.

Today I look and it seems petrol is again seeping out, without even having ridden the bike again.
You can see the slight yellow dis-colour highlighted, it goes half way round the flange.

The sealant does not seem anywhere near setting. It seemed very liquified coming out the little packet. It is also very hot here at the moment (mid 90s fahrenheit, mid 30 celcius). Not sure if that would be effecting this fix.

Any ideas?

I had the same problem when I installed the quick connects....They wouldn't seal no matter how long I let it dry or how clean it was. I resorted to using Yamabond as thread sealer and it has been fine for over 2 years and 30k miles.

Joe
Old 03-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #36
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStancampiano View Post
I had the same problem when I installed the quick connects....They wouldn't seal no matter how long I let it dry or how clean it was. I resorted to using Yamabond as thread sealer and it has been fine for over 2 years and 30k miles.

Joe
Likely, as Mike said, you and the OP had deeper cracks than normal, which prevents sealing. Mine were pretty deep, and as you can see, not an issue.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #37
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
cleaning the threads

OK, I've been busy the last two months, but now time to address this issue. I was planning to ask Jim about cleaning the threads when I came across The Other JC's post about his problems. That is just the kind of thing that I'd expect to happen to me (inexperienced klutz that I am ...). Anyway ....

Jim, Mike, et al,
So what liquid do you clean the threads with? Does it dissolve the sealant?
Is acetone a good or bad choice?
How do you apply it? Would an old toothbrush work?
And what happens if 'particles' of the old sealant fall in/down the hole?
Should the threads be dry before inserting the QD?
What's a 'tacky' test? and about how long does it take to get tacky?
Then after all is installed, wait 24 hours before turning it over?
thanks,
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
There will be fuel floating in the intake, and some of the sealant will mix with it.
Remove the fuel and clean the sealant. I used an old acid brush cut tight and shortened the handle to clean it.
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Figielski View Post
Hey JC,
First, did you thoroughly clean out all gas from the threaded hole in the flange and clean the threads with carb cleaner or the like? This is important. Then you need to coat the threads with the sealant and allow it to become tacky before threading the fitting into the flange. After that let it set up for 24 hours before exposing it to gas or running the bike.
The other thing to check is if you actually have cracks running down into the threads on the flange. If so you may need to use a heavier duty sealant. Either Permatex 56521 or even JB weld. If you run out of the sealnt we provided the Permatex is a good alternative. Hope this helps,
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other JC View Post

Any ideas?

And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #38
The Other JC
4 year lurker..

Oddometer: 202
more...

Thankyou for the advice Gentlemen

I cleaned the thread with a toothbrush dipped in petrol, it did a great job removing the old sealant and cleaning the thread.
Then worked round a rag inside to dry the thread. Maybe the fuel remained in a crack and is causing the issue.
I seem to have over-estimated the sealing ability of the sealant, which, I shall reiterate, never got to a tacky state. In the heat I was working in I would have thought it would get to a tacky state far quicker than on a cooler day.

I am very nervous using a more solid solution for filling the gaps, just my luck (at the moment!!) a lump will fall off into the fuel hole at the bottom when I apply the goo and screw in the quick release.

I shall have to clean it all out again and see if there is bigger crack than I have seen so far causing the issue, then select one of the mentioned sealers to sort it out. Things never seem to go to plan. What with my stretched petrol tank, it seems the BMW god is against me at the moment.

I await with interest the answers to 1200gsceej's questions above.

The Other JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #39
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Guys,
I'd suggest cleaning the threads with something other than gas, maybe carb cleaner or something similar. Should clean up easily. A tooth brush works. Sealant can be applied with your finger or maybe a Q-tip I guess. I would not be too worried about the old sealant getting anywhere, there is not much of it and it cleans off easily. Once you apply the sealant to the male and female threads (or just male threads really) let it set up for maybe an hour. It should get a little tacky. It won't "dry" or harden really, just congeals a little. Then hand tighten the fitting and follow that with maybe 1/4-1/2 a turn with a wrench. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN PLEASE!

Hope this helps. We have had very few issues with guys installing these but sometimes stuff happens and the sealant does not work as it should. The Permatex sealant I suggested as an alternative is not permanent and seems to be a thicker consistency for those that havetouble with the Gasolia we supply.
Mike

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #40
neerbeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I'm planning on doing these mods to my bike soon. Can anyone tell me how much fuel I can have in an 07 GSA and change these out with out having to drain any fuel?

For everyone that drained some fuel I'm guessing you will need to drain both sides prior to removal of the QD's.
neerbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #41
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerbeer View Post
I'm planning on doing these mods to my bike soon. Can anyone tell me how much fuel I can have in an 07 GSA and change these out with out having to drain any fuel?

For everyone that drained some fuel I'm guessing you will need to drain both sides prior to removal of the QD's.
You are definitely Ok at half a tank, likely Ok at 3/4 tank.

Jim
Old 03-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #42
neerbeer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thats good to know.
Thanks Jim!
neerbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #43
Winkelfinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
If you are as dumb as me, you better have it totally empty....
I removed the tank from the bike ( too cold outside) and got rid of the tankcover and filler. When remounting on the bike - after a completely successful clamp and connector replacing exercise - I actually let one of the rubber thingies which position the filler drop INTO the tank. Don't laugh!!
Visiting my dealer tomorrow to get them to unscrew the right lid with their expensive special tool.
How silly is that....

Til, a.k.a Winkelfinger
Winkelfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #44
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelfinger View Post
I removed the tank from the bike ( too cold outside) and got rid of the tankcover and filler. When remounting on the bike - after a completely successful clamp and connector replacing exercise - I actually let one of the rubber thingies which position the filler drop INTO the tank. Don't laugh!!
Visiting my dealer tomorrow to get them to unscrew the right lid with their expensive special tool.
How silly is that....

Til, a.k.a Winkelfinger
Particularly silly since you didn't need to remove the tank cover to remove the tank!

Jim
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #45
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelfinger View Post
How silly is that....

Til, a.k.a Winkelfinger
You could improvise on the special tool with a couple of large screwdrivers, WF. I used two tire irons crossing each other as an X when I wanted to put hands on my fuel pump. Not a bad idea to mark the position of the locking ring before you loosen her up.

In your situation, I would rather put on some shake, rattle, and roll music and get after it like I was emptying my piggy bank. Even a game of "go fish" would be my choice over literally giving the piggy bank to the shop.

Good luck, however you choose to handle it! ~Jeff

Ride For Kids
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote