Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #91
CO/WV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
how have these 2004 ish 1000 V stroms aged?

are people still in love..... a buddy just bought one
CO/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #92
getset
----GO----

Oddometer: 103
I like mine for what it I have it for. long days in the saddle linking up gravel and tar or two up with my wife on weekend trips. I follow the little maintenance required and it has served me well. They are cheap reliable capable machines. They are not exotic, not the most exciting bike around, but it always puts a smile on my face. Its worth having one in the garage.
getset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #93
TerraThumper
Meesta Fwank

Oddometer: 10
getset got it right

I have an '02 and I'm the second owner. Bought in '05 at 4k miles, now at 45k. It never let me down....EVER. Simple to maintain (compared to my KTM 990). I am sooooo happy with the Strom that I'm currently looking at 2012s as they can be had for a steal.
Sure, these are no BMW GSAs - no comparison....I won't even try.....but looking at the value aspect, here in Ontario I can get a new Strom SE for less than half the coin of a new GS Adventure fully OEM farkled. Heck, I can buy 2 and still be ahead by a few $Gs.
Oh ya....30k replaced OEM sprockets and chain, and only because the new set was sitting in my garage for 18 months. Original everything else that isn't in the maintenance schedule (i.e. wheel bearings, injectors, etc....).
Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #94
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
These bikes are boringly reliable. There were some early clutch basket issues and ECU glitches, but once those got sorted they just run forever.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #95
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO/WV View Post
how have these 2004 ish 1000 V stroms aged?

are people still in love..... a buddy just bought one
I bought my 04 in 06 and still love it. I look at all the new models coming out and drool over them. I have the $$$ to get a new bike but as soon as I sit on my strom and go for a ride those thoughts are (mostly) wiped away. For close to 8 years my strom has been nothing but dead-reliable and fun as hell to farkle up. Can't complain about it at all and I'm still in love.
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #96
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,130
To this day, I love the motor of my owned since new 04 DL1000 (reason why I bought it in the first place), but it's a poor choice as a high speed loaded tourer, if stability at 100mph is part of one's criteria.

The aged and unchanged aerodynamics with the Vee, upload the front end as speeds increase and while cruising at the "ton" isn't necessarily a great idea with any adventure bike, it's far from unheard of when you're passing traffic at times, at least for myself.

The ecm restrictions of 5th and 6th gears, have existed since the bike's inception in 2002 (far cheaper solution, than addressing the design issues) and outside of the rejig of the 2nd gen DL650, the Vee's aerodynamic faults haven't been addressed (upcoming 2014 DL1000 model excluded of course).

The present gen DL1000's are a reliable bargain bike and a sensible used alternative, expecially when boughten already tweaked and farkled, but don't think that throwing money at them, will overcome all the faults of poor aerodynamics and weight distribution, when it comes to high speed handling and behaviors in high wind scenarios...

Because it won't, don't ask me how I know...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #97
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Hey everyone hope this is OK here, I found this thread and thought I would post here insteed of starting a new one.
So I currently ride a WR250X with dirt wheels and am looking for something larger to tour on. I found a 2002 V Strom 1000 in my Province with 71000 km for $2900. This seems to be a pretty good deal to me for my area as V Strom 650's and 1000's usually go for around $6000 plus there aren't usually an over abundance of them for sale. The extras with it are steering damper, gel seat, Kappa side bags, crash bars, heated grips, three windscreens recent tires, throttle sync, and aftermarket clutch basket

So what are peoples thoughts, is that too many km's, some of the painted metal parts are starting to buble but that is pretty common near the atlantic ocean. Are there any things in particular that I should look out for? Thanks alot.
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #98
strom thingie
Lost and Proud!

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black999 View Post
Hey everyone hope this is OK here, I found this thread and thought I would post here insteed of starting a new one.
So I currently ride a WR250X with dirt wheels and am looking for something larger to tour on. I found a 2002 V Strom 1000 in my Province with 71000 km for $2900. This seems to be a pretty good deal to me for my area as V Strom 650's and 1000's usually go for around $6000 plus there aren't usually an over abundance of them for sale. The extras with it are steering damper, gel seat, Kappa side bags, crash bars, heated grips, three windscreens recent tires, throttle sync, and aftermarket clutch basket

So what are peoples thoughts, is that too many km's, some of the painted metal parts are starting to buble but that is pretty common near the atlantic ocean. Are there any things in particular that I should look out for? Thanks alot.
Heck that's a great price. Check the normal things like leaks at the fork seals, sprockets, etc. With the aftermarket clutch basket, it seems the chudder should be cured. Sounds like a lot of bike for the price. That's not low mileage, but it ain't all that high either if the bike was properly maintained.
strom thingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #99
tkad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:

I think its a good buy as long as its cheap/easy to get it on the road...excepting tires and pads, etc. I owned a wee for a few years and loved it until I got tired of chains and sprockets twice a year (dirt and gravel destruction). buffeting is often a problem on the vee but not for everyone, and hard to eradicate if you have it, easier on the wee. fuelling on the highway gets better if you ride in 5th below 70mph, easily done.
tkad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #100
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,929
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
After I checked the V-Strom, I went to An Aprilia dealer and checked the CapoNord. As soon as I and my passenger sat, it was it.
Oh, a touch of italian class does not hurt...
My Caponord took a little sorting...but once done,well worth it .
checkout AF1racing.com
Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #101
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Hi all,

I've been looking hard at both the Vstom and the Tiger, favoring the 'strom for a number of reasons: price, dealer location, and all the positive press on this site.

But what am I missing? Are there things about the Vstrom that would keep you from buying one?

I remember reading somewhere that the strom's power output is somewhat weak, lessening the power accessories available. Any thoughts on this?

I'm not looking to do any hard core offroading. Just some weekend 1up touring.

That said....

How much should I pay? The local dealers are quoting 8500 out the door for a new '05. Is this a good price? How much better can I do?

thanks for the info.

Larry
Hello Larry, I owned and rode both Vstroms for a number of years. I purchased the 650 new in 08, and bought an 03 1000 for grins. The 1000 had loads of farkles, but fuel mileage and weight were issues since I had already got comfortable on 650. I stripped 1000 and added everything that would fit to 650 and sold 1000. I rode 650 29000 miles some of them loaded heavy, and never had any issues, it had plenty of power and got great fuel mileage, and all it needed was tires and oil changes. it is NOT an offroad bike, however I did install tkc tires and tried out some dirt and mud, was a lot of fun. I think the either would serve you well. A short story about 1000, I stripped all fairing and headlight assembly, and all non essential items off and put one small headlight, and a smaller front sprocket, it had Remus titanium cans and a Power Commander, I even took the front fender off, rack, pass pegs, you name it. The ugliest but most fun bike to be a hooligan on . Best wishes. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #102
Mr.Black999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I ended up buying the bike, buffeting sucks!!! The bike is pretty awesome, but the were two problems. One of them was the guy I bought the bike of replaced a fork seal but put it in upside down and it's leaking so he took $100 of the price, ended up getting it for $2760. The other problem I found was the front brake pad pins don't have the cotter clips in them and one partially came out and scratched the rim.

Other that that I really like the bike, very comfy and fat.
Mr.Black999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 AM   #103
Noobens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkad View Post
I think its a good buy as long as its cheap/easy to get it on the road...excepting tires and pads, etc. I owned a wee for a few years and loved it until I got tired of chains and sprockets twice a year (dirt and gravel destruction). buffeting is often a problem on the vee but not for everyone, and hard to eradicate if you have it, easier on the wee. fuelling on the highway gets better if you ride in 5th below 70mph, easily done.
Must have been lackadaisical on the maintenance, going through some seriously brutal stuff, a shoddy chain, or doing some insane mileage to chew through 2 sets of chains and sprockets per year. Prior to buying my Wee I took my KLR650 to hell and back and when I sold it, it had 13,000 miles on the stock chain and sprockets. Mud, sand, dirt, gravel, 500 mile days on the slab, daily commuting, you name it. My DL's chain looks to be returning similar reliability.
1966 CB160
1964 CA95
Noobens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #104
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 273
it took me a while to get used to the DL1's long legs. especially the 6th. gear OverDrive. and with a cruising speed of nearly 100 mph, its hard to find a place to ride without worry of speeding tickets.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #105
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,694
Quote:
I ended up buying the bike, buffeting sucks!!! The bike is pretty awesome, but the were two problems. One of them was the guy I bought the bike of replaced a fork seal but put it in upside down and it's leaking so he took $100 of the price, ended up getting it for $2760. The other problem I found was the front brake pad pins don't have the cotter clips in them and one partially came out and scratched the rim.

Other that that I really like the bike, very comfy and fat.
Where'd you find it? Sounds like someone I might know....

Good luck with it, though - the DL1000 is a great bike and I've been having seller's remorse since parting with mine in July. I will most likely have another Big Strom in the future...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote