User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
hambone650rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Fun

Fun discussion , I really want the terra but started thinking where is the compitition for it? I have rode the terra so compitition. Dr...nope, klr... Nope.ktm well yeah but damned expensive nope. Yamaha didn't know haven't cant ride it or own it. It's all good rode the dr today lots of wheelies sliding and raising Cain,ended up stuck on a downed tree for 15 mins( I need to be working out not playing on adv) hell of a fun day!!
hambone650rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #17
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Sorry I missed the first page of this thread. Are you seriously asking this question AGAIN???

The bike is manufactured in ITALY. Importing it here will cost over $8,000

- It is heavy, is a 5-speed, with a very robust but old engine design.

- With those specs, it is just too expensive to sell here. No one will buy it at the price required for Yamaha to make a profit.

JMo raced one in Europe with tons of custom modifications, including a full KTM / WP front end. Worked well. But it was still heavy. Adequate for a dual sport? Yes. Better than a KLR? Probably. Worth $8,000 in the US. No. And I believe that JMo has moved on to lighter bikes for long-distance racing.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
i know when i was looking buying one my old bmw dakar was bit lighter and few more hp.

in fact tenere is road legal here for learners.

but i do know people say they perform better than they look on paper.

if going new id pick it over the new g650 models bmw are making in china
Old 03-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #19
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,786
The UK price translates to almost $9800 for a bike that, on paper, looks like a slightly hotrodded KLR650. Even if you could roll one out the door for a grand or so less, that just doesn't sound like a formula for success in the US. At those kinds of numbers I am bringing a 690 home not a 400 pound, less than 50 hp utility bike. If I did want a bike like that I would just buy the KLR or Terra and bank the savings. I don't know if Yamaha is missing the party, but I don't think we are by not getting that particular bike.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #20
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Money is the name of the game, and bikes made for use in the US are often more expensive than elsewhere, thus meaning they have to put more money into R&D on any given model to sell a relatively smaller quantity to our cruiser and sport bike dominated market.

Or maybe Im wrong lol
My impression is that bikes are cheaper in the US than in anywhere else. Certainly Canada, Australia & NZ, and Europe pay a lot more. I don't know of any place in the world, comparing the same bike, where they are as cheap as the US.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #21
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
If the XT 660 was available in the U.S. I'd have a used one as a stable mate for the KLR for sure. It's high time however, that ONE (any of them!) of the Japanese manufacturers offer a modern big bore dual sport!

The used market is a glut of low mileage or at least mechanically sound KLRs, DRs or XLs for $1,000 - $3,500 & there's no real reason to buy new (Japanese) today.

I just checked Yamaha-motor.com & the 2013 700 Raptor (Quad) is $8,099 MSRP & weighs 422 lbs. wet. If Yamaha stuck the power plant from the 700 Raptor in a dual sport with a six speed, a modern suspension & kept the weight under 422 lbs. wet, I'd knock people over to put $8,099 in the dealers hand.

A modern 450 dual sport would be a close second for me but, either would be a big seller today (imo) as it is long over due.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote