Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #76
divrnr
ROAD WARRIOR

Oddometer: 89
Just bought my Uly in Jan, just over 600 miles on it. Have owned many bikes before but not since my '87 FZR 1000 have I fallen in love with a bike. This Uly is a special kind of bike. The feel, the shaking, the laser quick handling, and most of all it's the ATTITUDE!!! This is a man's bike, full of testosterone!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #77
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Got a little 'hands on' today with the new Uly....put the tank bag on, checked fluids, got familiar, pulled the 77 plug and the others, greased and re tied everything back....adjusted the bars, warmed it up, couldn't stop it from heading down the driveway so gave in and rode it a few miles.....windscreen useless......otherwise, totally impressed, fast, nice balance, quick handling, comfortable, vibes go away quickly.....love it!
Question...is the larger windscreen from HD worth it? He told me $125 roughly...should I go with aftermarket?

I'm gonna love this thing, I can tell......
Mr Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #78
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Got a little 'hands on' today with the new Uly....put the tank bag on, checked fluids, got familiar, pulled the 77 plug and the others, greased and re tied everything back....adjusted the bars, warmed it up, couldn't stop it from heading down the driveway so gave in and rode it a few miles.....windscreen useless......otherwise, totally impressed, fast, nice balance, quick handling, comfortable, vibes go away quickly.....love it!
Question...is the larger windscreen from HD worth it? He told me $125 roughly...should I go with aftermarket?

I'm gonna love this thing, I can tell......

I know you want the bigger windshield but if you give it a chance, the stock screen is designed that way for a reason. With a full face helmet it works pretty good and helps keep the large frontal area smaller.
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #79
Sharkguy
chain lube applier

Oddometer: 202
Check out Palmer products or Madstad for alternative shield ideas. Larger and adjustable..
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #80
belkerx3
ADV Addict

Oddometer: 90
Jealous

I'm a bit jealous. I had my '06 Uly for 6 months. I have rated it the 2nd worst bike I have ever owned (next to a 650 Savage). I spend the entire 6 months trying to make it more comfortable. I tried endlessly to get rid of the vibration. It was horrible. The studder at low RPM was surprising for a new bike. I wanted to love the Uly but with all the hang ups and no solutions in sight I finally sold it in favor of a Concours 14. My final straw was when I took my wife on a 250 mile trip in preparation for a 3000 mile upcomming trip. She nearly cried at the thought of having to spend 8 days on the Uly. We took the trip on the Concours 14 and she never complained once. Sometimes I think I got a lemon. I could never see how I could put 20,000+ miles on the Uly like some guys do.
'09 Concours 14
'72 Shovelhead FLH
belkerx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #81
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,874
I have a Madstad on my 06 and its great. Im 6"3" and get 0 buffeting.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #82
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by belkerx3 View Post
I'm a bit jealous. I had my '06 Uly for 6 months. I have rated it the 2nd worst bike I have ever owned (next to a 650 Savage). I spend the entire 6 months trying to make it more comfortable. I tried endlessly to get rid of the vibration. It was horrible. The studder at low RPM was surprising for a new bike. I wanted to love the Uly but with all the hang ups and no solutions in sight I finally sold it in favor of a Concours 14. My final straw was when I took my wife on a 250 mile trip in preparation for a 3000 mile upcomming trip. She nearly cried at the thought of having to spend 8 days on the Uly. We took the trip on the Concours 14 and she never complained once. Sometimes I think I got a lemon. I could never see how I could put 20,000+ miles on the Uly like some guys do.
Wow, thats not good.....i've only put five miles on it so its early for me.....I was acually looking at C14s when I ran across this Uly......I love the new Connies I'll give this my best shot, see what happens.......good luck with yours...
Btw, check out shovelhead.us/forum.
Mr Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #83
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
I'm a bit jealous. I had my '06 Uly for 6 months. I have rated it the 2nd worst bike I have ever owned (next to a 650 Savage). I spend the entire 6 months trying to make it more comfortable. I tried endlessly to get rid of the vibration. It was horrible. The studder at low RPM was surprising for a new bike. I wanted to love the Uly but with all the hang ups and no solutions in sight I finally sold it in favor of a Concours 14. My final straw was when I took my wife on a 250 mile trip in preparation for a 3000 mile upcomming trip. She nearly cried at the thought of having to spend 8 days on the Uly.
Out of curiosity, what comfort issues did you and your wife have?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #84
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 549
Yeah the bike vibrates a little at idle and slow speeds but they are never a problem. Ive read complaints on here from a very small amount people being totally anal about vibrations in the foot pegs, its barely noticeable.

As for riding 2 up it is extremely comfortable and my wife loves riding on it. Theres so much room my daughter can fit between us. I finally obtained the gel pad for the triple tail, we will try it tomorrow.

I love the ulysses I cant wait to get sme tkc80s.
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #85
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,795
Quote:
There is no doubt that this bike is not for everyone...buuuttttt????? I have never heard anyone of any size complain about the "comfort" of the Uly. Are the 06's quirky as hell, for sure, but hands down one of the best seats ever put on a bike. And, being 6'4" the riding position is sweet with some quick bar/control adjustments.

Was this a bike you bought new? If it was shuddering badly sounds like your dealer did not have it properly sorted.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #86
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Have heard issues of folks having trouble with vibrations every once in a while, But never a comfort issue. My wife has more than once nearly fallen asleep on the back during a 2-3 hour ride. SHE is the reason we chose the uly over the tiger, gs, strom etc, was because it felt so comftorable to her. BUt to each their own, different strokes and all that.
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #87
jjdavidson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
spare fuel

I found these canisters from local store. So i got 10 liters more when riding roads not so near gas stations. I know, color is terrible... I wonder if some spaycan paint will stick/stay on them. Now that they are new, i think only clean them and paint some primer or what?
jjdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #88
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdavidson View Post
I found these canisters from local store. So i got 10 liters more when riding roads not so near gas stations. I know, color is terrible... I wonder if some spaycan paint will stick/stay on them. Now that they are new, i think only clean them and paint some primer or what?
That looks really cool (and I like the color)! Can you post more pictures of the mount set up and manufacturer info? They probably aren't for sale in the States but maybe on the net.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #89
ronandkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdavidson View Post
That seems to serve the purpose, but I must ask, knowing how hot a uly gets.. Is it actually safe to be mounted that close to a couple big bore, high temp cylinders and exhaust header?
ronandkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #90
jjdavidson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandkat View Post
That seems to serve the purpose, but I must ask, knowing how hot a uly gets.. Is it actually safe to be mounted that close to a couple big bore, high temp cylinders and exhaust header?
I think i have 3 inch clear to headers, but i might add some insulation behind the canister :)

red450, i made them DIY :(
jjdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote