User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
a$$hole OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
950/990 Adventure/Gobi's rack mod for the ADVTANK

Many people have said its a real PITA to get their gas cap off of their ADVTANK after it expands. I personally couldn't get the cap off at all and not using the tank was killing me. So I had heard of someone cutting off the bars and flipping them around and re welding them so that you could get to the cap. But I had never seen a write up about it and thought I would show some pics of how I did mine. This isn't going to be a step by step how-too but just some pics and a brief explanation of what to do. Hopefully it helps someone out!

First I took off the racks and bolted them back together on the ground so that everything would stay in alignment. Then I used a cutoff wheel too cut the top two rear bars off.

Next I flipped the bars around and fitted them with a 90 grinder to there new locations. I had to trim off like a 1/4" to get them to meet up equally on both sides. If you have a torch I would bend them a little bit so you can keep your stock turn signals. Otherwise you might have to get some small LED's like I did.

Then I simply took them to the local welder guy and had them zipped up in less than 5 minutes for $20. Although he tried to only charge me $15 after he found out I was a welder just like him while in the Marines . But I instisted on the original $20 price. They turned out really nice too.

After welding I just stripped them down and used Rust-Oleum semi-gloss black paint and that was it. You can see how the factory blinkers kinda get blocked by the new bar placement. Although they do fit better than new and bolted right up with no problems with tons of room to get the gas cap off now!

a$$hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 7,992
brilliant!

thanks for the great idea
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,336
I have the same problem - thanks for sharing your solution !

Racks coming off tomorrow....................

pebble35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
a$$hole OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
It really is pretty easy. And it looks great too! No more having to fight to get the cap off.
a$$hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,448
Hmmn. Rather than flipping both tubes around (which blocks the turn signals) would it not be possible to rotate the left supporting tube (red arrows) and weld to the existing rack tube (yellow arrow) so that it's right behind the turn signal.

This should give enough room to get the cap off, no?

I was thinking of just doing it on the left side. It won't be symmetrical but that doesn't seem like a major issue. I'm taking a TIG welding class right now so it seems like a good project

Comments?
Attached Images

crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
thanks for this post.. Mine turned out great.. I also added a brace because I bent the bracket and the tank was rubbing on my tire..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
thanks for this post.. Mine turned out great.. I also added a brace because I bent the bracket and the tank was rubbing on my tire..
did you use a$$hole's method? I can't really tell from your pic. It doesn't appear that your turn signals are blocked .... but I'm not really sure how badly they are blocked as a$$hole's pic is taken from above rather than from the rear.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,229
My post in another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I ended up just doing the one side. This gives me enough room to get the cap off good.
I uses hand saw to cut the bracket from the pannier loop. I then swung it back as close as I felt good to the turn signal. Welded and cleaned up there. Only part I took off was the bracket to contour the notch. I used a grinder and fine sandpaper to clean up. Then painted all with simple Black gloss paint.

Edit: Do the job BEFORE putting the tank on. You can see the scratches I put on the aux tank with the sandpaper.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
My post in another thread.
thanks for the pic. so basically same as what I proposed a couple of posts earlier, thanks for confirming it wasn't a bonehead idea
Old 05-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
did you use a$$hole's method? I can't really tell from your pic. It doesn't appear that your turn signals are blocked .... but I'm not really sure how badly they are blocked as a$$hole's pic is taken from above rather than from the rear.
I used the same method
The brace came first
Then the pic taken
Then I did the gas cap mod

Mine looks the same

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #11
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
I used the same method
The brace came first
Then the pic taken
Then I did the gas cap mod

Mine looks the same
Do you have a recent pic from the rear? If the one from before is before the mod, it's not that useful I'd be curious to see how badly the flipping/gas-cap mod is in terms of blocking the turn signals. You can't tell from a$$holes post.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 AM   #12
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Just installed a tank on my 990 and cut and rewelded the bracket so it was just a 1/4 away from the turn signal. Worked great went to the station and the new tank held 2.27 gallons. Went for a hour test ride and when iIgot home smelled gas, turned around to look and found I had not put the aux tank cap on
Old 06-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #13
FORE!
pretender

Oddometer: 46
If you need another cap - we have them in stock.

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
Just installed a tank on my 990 and cut and rewelded the bracket so it was just a 1/4 away from the turn signal. Worked great went to the station and the new tank held 2.27 gallons. Went for a hour test ride and when iIgot home smelled gas, turned around to look and found I had not put the aux tank cap on
FORE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #14
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Scott, luck was with me. the vent hose held the cap on the bike so I just put it on. PS the instructions with the tank are very hard to read or make out what is in the photo, with out this how to install guide I would have had trouble.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I'm thinking seriously about fitting the ADV tank to my 2012. I have the 'quick detach' SW Motech racks and Gobi panniers, not the fixed older type tubular racks for Gobis.

Has anyone tied this combination and if so, can you get to the filler cap?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote