User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #16186
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 106
Anybody else have this problem?

Just inbound of the left footpeg is a threaded metal rod with a 14mm bolt on it. The other end of the rod is an Allen head just inside of the right footpeg. Long story short, when I was adjusting my gearshift lever I notice that rod turned freely, so I tightened it down. Anybody know the function of that rod and whether it is supposed to spin freely? I have the expanded manual and it isn't clear if it is an engine mounting boss or gearbox mounting bolt.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #16187
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by spewler View Post
Just inbound of the left footpeg is a threaded metal rod with a 14mm bolt on it. The other end of the rod is an Allen head just inside of the right footpeg. Long story short, when I was adjusting my gearshift lever I notice that rod turned freely, so I tightened it down. Anybody know the function of that rod and whether it is supposed to spin freely? I have the expanded manual and it isn't clear if it is an engine mounting boss or gearbox mounting bolt.
pic?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #16188
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Aftermarket Exhaust

I am wondering if the aftermarket exhaust systems with out heat shields would cause a problem riding two up? Anyone have any experience with the LV or Scorpion? I'm guessing its not a problem but just need to take extra caution not to contact it.

Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #16189
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,602
Quote:
Is it #4 on here? http://www.worldoftriumph.com/triump...lock_03=560041

Otherwise, use that site to find it on other pictures so that we can, maybe, give some advice.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:29 AM   #16190
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger View Post
I am wondering if the aftermarket exhaust systems with out heat shields would cause a problem riding two up? Anyone have any experience with the LV or Scorpion? I'm guessing its not a problem but just need to take extra caution not to contact it.

LV carbon - no problems at all.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #16191
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

This is my next purchase now that the racks are on !
Nick
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #16192
spewler
Not (w)reckless

blacktiger, #4 is that part I'm talking about. Since the manual says torque it to 48nM, I tightened it down. It rode fine this morning, so I'm hoping I didn't screw anything up!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #16193
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
blacktiger, #4 is that part I'm talking about. Since the manual says torque it to 48nM, I tightened it down. It rode fine this morning, so I'm hoping I didn't screw anything up!
spewler, are you riding south on kolb towards I-10 in the afternoons?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #16194
swimmer
armchair asshole

For anyone that gets in a bind with their local dealer not having a part they need in stock I might suggest calling GO AZ motorcycles in Scottsdale, AZ - no association. http://www.goaz.com/ I needed a valve cover gasket and my local dealer didn't have one and I missed their ordering day so it was going to be about 2 weeks before I could get it. Bike Bandit would have been about the same.

Since I knew it would only be one day shipping from Scottsdale I talked to Victor at GO AZ and he told me he had one in stock and no problem shipping it to me for very reasonable shipping rate. He called back later when he went to grab the gasket from inventory and told me it wasn't there but he was expecting one in the next day. He called when that one was on its way to me. I ended up using the old on as I got impatient and my WR had a flat so I've got it for the next time I check the valves.

Anyway, long story but Victor was super helpful and not sure if they'd have any issues shipping out of AZ (don't see why) but I know some people get into a bind with OEM parts supply. Maybe this will help someone.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #16195
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
you could buy those plastic pieces...

Seeing as how much I love dealer plates, I HATE breaking new bikes in. I'll keep my oldie but goodie
Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #16196
marloweluke
The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
LV carbon - no problems at all.
Hi Bluesman,

I also have the LV carbon and don't find it gets too hot. Have you tried it with soft luggage touching the exhaust can? Just wondering if that might be a problem. I could put a heat shield on it, but would rather not.

Thanks....
Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #16197
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Swimmer, yup that's me! I've been taking the highway more lately...even though it's the long way around it is quicker. Kolb is getting ridiculous in the afternoon!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #16198
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,145
New (too me) 800 - Observations and wiring diagram ???

So I got to take my new (2011) Tiger out over the weekend as well give the included papers from the original owner a good look over.

Good points:

- Smoothest acceleration of any bike i've ever ridden
- Ergonomics are fantastic (for me)
- Seems much "lighter" than she is
- Stock seat/windscreen and pegs all seem up to long distance riding (for me) which means not having to spend money on things that should always be good enough in the first place

Not so Good points:

- The engine "whine" is a bit different and will take some getting used too.. aside from the Ural its the only bike i've ever owned where the engine is louder than the exhaust (too me this is most noticeable at speed)

- I've read about the "stalling" issue and after reviewing the paperwork on this particular bike it appears to have ( i hope its in the past) been a victim. It was brought in to the dealership @ about 500 miles for stalling. Clock now has about 4500 miles on it and if I have all the paperwork the problem hasnt returned or it was ignored... im hoping not the later as ive only put about 100 miles on her thus far.

- What kept me away from Triumph's for as long as ive ridden on 2 wheels is the lack of dealers. There are 2 "near" me but the closest is still over an hour each way.... I do all my own service and hope to keep it that way.. so hopefully that never becomes an issue.

On an unrelated note is there any chance anyone has a PDF wiring diagram they care too share (looking for power points to hijack) ????

thanks
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #16199
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
- I've read about the "stalling" issue and after reviewing the paperwork on this particular bike it appears to have ( i hope its in the past) been a victim.
The bike should have gotten the updated ECU maps during regular service, that solved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
On an unrelated note is there any chance anyone has a PDF wiring diagram they care too share (looking for power points to hijack)
If you are planning your own service anyways it's a good idea to get the service manual, it includes everything you need.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #16200
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Swimmer, yup that's me! I've been taking the highway more lately...even though it's the long way around it is quicker. Kolb is getting ridiculous in the afternoon!
I'd rather spend a few extra minutes on the highway than dealing with extra stop/go traffics and lights. I work at the UA tech park. I'm riding my wr250r to work on occasion as well.