Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 66 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #1516
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I was just on the Warmouth guitar parts site and thinking about building my first parts guitar. I'm leaning toward a Tele Thinline, Surf Green or transparent Sunset Orange, satin finish nitro maple neck with rosewood board, pearl binding and pickguard, TV Jones p/u's and a Bigsby! I haven't added up the parts but I'm guessing around $1200-1300. Any of you guys gone down this road, and how did it turn out?
I built a partscaster from a Fender 69 Reissue thinline body and an Allparts neck. I put humbuckers in it and used Fender parts for all the hardware. The result was "meh". Not really good or bad. The nice thing about off-the-shelf guitars is that you can pick one up and play it, and if it doesn't make you grin when you strum that first chord, you can put it back and move on. There's no way to know that a parts guitar has that "something" that makes a great guitar, even if you use all the best parts. If you ever decide to sell it, that $1200 pile of parts is worth nothing. I had about $850 into mine, and ended up trading it for even for a MIM Jazzmaster worth about $400 because I never played it.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #1517
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I was just on the Warmouth guitar parts site and thinking about building my first parts guitar. I'm leaning toward a Tele Thinline, Surf Green or transparent Sunset Orange, satin finish nitro maple neck with rosewood board, pearl binding and pickguard, TV Jones p/u's and a Bigsby! I haven't added up the parts but I'm guessing around $1200-1300. Any of you guys gone down this road, and how did it turn out?
If you can manage a screwdriver and a soldering iron it will turn out just like an off-the-shelf guitar.

But, make sure to get the correct neck pocket for the neck. Unless you want to spend a few tense moments with a chisel and a hammer.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #1518
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,500
It's not a guitar, but pretty important to one. Just finished it tonight and played through it for the first time. Sounds fantastic and that's before the suggested 40 hours of break in!

Still missing the trim on the top for the chassis mounts.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #1519
The_Commander
The Man.

A moment of silence for Alvin Lee

http://youtu.be/kdltHgMMrqc
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #1520
assquatch20
Hoss Cat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
A moment of silence for Alvin Lee

http://youtu.be/kdltHgMMrqc
Oh, oh no.

Watching four hours of Woodstock on TV made me play harder. Only now can I even attempt "I'm Going Home" like he did it.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 AM   #1521
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
It's not a guitar, but pretty important to one. Just finished it tonight and played through it for the first time. Sounds fantastic and that's before the suggested 40 hours of break in!

Still missing the trim on the top for the chassis mounts.

I've been slowly planning to build a tube amp myself. If nothing else the soldering practice will come in handy.

Mind giving us the specs?

random parts? Specific kit?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #1522
chopped58
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I picked up my new Baja Telecaster today. 7lbs, 4oz of sweet Tele goodness!

Nice guitars you guys!

ADV Rider Relay 2008 New York
IBA# 27774

06 Uly
58 FL

Ride report: NY to Vegas
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513905
chopped58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #1523
The_Commander
The Man.

Made this one in 86 or 87. My cousin was working at the Gibson plant and gave mucho tips and help.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #1524
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I've been slowly planning to build a tube amp myself. If nothing else the soldering practice will come in handy.

Mind giving us the specs?

random parts? Specific kit?
It's a kit, sort of. A good friend became friends with Dan at FYD Amps in VT. Dan is a tube amp God and when Keith asked about building a more flexible Champ they decided to create a Marshall JCM800/Champ hybrid. The MarCh was soon a reality.

Over the last few years they've tweaked it to what I built, but you can build it using lots of different spec parts. We used high end stuff (NOS Russian caps, Spragues, carbon resistors Mercury Magnetics Iron, etc) I can point you in the right directions to get the chassis (we used Stainless, but you can get less expensive steel) and cabinets (another hook up if you need it) I wanted a true vintage sound so everything was spec'd that way, but honestly there probably isn't a huge difference to most people's ears if you used current production caps, resistors, etc.

I chose the Celestion Greenback as a starter speaker, but I'll probably try a few others just because I do that...

I built it as a combo, but they've built a lot more as separates including some beautiful table top amp units that look like art.

Power is 12-15 watts, but it sounds more like 25-35 as it's so clean. It's incredibly quiet...silent actually on the Champ stack and has great distortion on the Marshall side. I had them include an effects loop and a Tweed push/pull pot.

If you need more than that you should contact Dan at www.fydamps.com and discuss what you want with him. I can't give out the layout, etc as it's Dan's intellectual property, but I'll tell you that it's a pretty easy build. All point to point wiring and I'm sure between Dan and Keith you can get as much or as little of it done for you as you'd like.

PM me if you have more specific questions.

It really impresses...a buddy who is a real musician (not a hobbyist like me) played thru it and commented that he could get rid of 3 amps if he had this one.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #1525
SRanger331
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172

SRanger331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #1526
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
and ended up trading it for even for a MIM Jazzmaster worth about $400 because I never played it.
How do you like the Jazzmaster....I picked up one a few months or so and really like it.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #1527
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
How do you like the Jazzmaster....I picked up one a few months or so and really like it.
It's ok. I recently shimmed the neck and that improved the playability quite a bit. It's a heavy guitar, and I really prefer a good lightweight, resonant guitar, so it doesn't get a lot of play time.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #1528
Dismount
Boring bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
It's a kit, sort of. A good friend became friends with Dan at FYD Amps in VT. Dan is a tube amp God and when Keith asked about building a more flexible Champ they decided to create a Marshall JCM800/Champ hybrid. The MarCh was soon a reality.

Over the last few years they've tweaked it to what I built, but you can build it using lots of different spec parts. We used high end stuff (NOS Russian caps, Spragues, carbon resistors Mercury Magnetics Iron, etc) I can point you in the right directions to get the chassis (we used Stainless, but you can get less expensive steel) and cabinets (another hook up if you need it) I wanted a true vintage sound so everything was spec'd that way, but honestly there probably isn't a huge difference to most people's ears if you used current production caps, resistors, etc.

I chose the Celestion Greenback as a starter speaker, but I'll probably try a few others just because I do that...

I built it as a combo, but they've built a lot more as separates including some beautiful table top amp units that look like art.

Power is 12-15 watts, but it sounds more like 25-35 as it's so clean. It's incredibly quiet...silent actually on the Champ stack and has great distortion on the Marshall side. I had them include an effects loop and a Tweed push/pull pot.

If you need more than that you should contact Dan at www.fydamps.com and discuss what you want with him. I can't give out the layout, etc as it's Dan's intellectual property, but I'll tell you that it's a pretty easy build. All point to point wiring and I'm sure between Dan and Keith you can get as much or as little of it done for you as you'd like.

PM me if you have more specific questions.

It really impresses...a buddy who is a real musician (not a hobbyist like me) played thru it and commented that he could get rid of 3 amps if he had this one.
I don't have the ears to really appreciate anything acoustically high end unfortunately.

Mostly I'm just curious and want to unlimber the soldering iron and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

http://www.modkitsdiy.com/kit/mod_102_guitar_amp_kit

It looks like if source the parts myself from various places it comes to about $250 for the whole thing (i think), and will give my old man something to do building an enclosure. I haven't even looked at speakers yet.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #1529
Dismount
Boring bastard

And.... now that I am looking.....what is the advrider of the amp world?

holy hell what a lot of choices.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #1530
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I don't have the ears to really appreciate anything acoustically high end unfortunately.

Mostly I'm just curious and want to unlimber the soldering iron and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

http://www.modkitsdiy.com/kit/mod_102_guitar_amp_kit

It looks like if source the parts myself from various places it comes to about $250 for the whole thing (i think), and will give my old man something to do building an enclosure. I haven't even looked at speakers yet.
I spent more than that on just the transformers!!!! LOL

I just watched a few reviews of it and it seems like a decent little amp. Keep us posted if you build.

For comparison...here's a side by side of what I built and the little amp you're looking at. I have no idea if I could hear any difference either:

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 08:30 AM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: