Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #1531
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I don't have the ears to really appreciate anything acoustically high end unfortunately.

Mostly I'm just curious and want to unlimber the soldering iron and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

http://www.modkitsdiy.com/kit/mod_102_guitar_amp_kit

It looks like if source the parts myself from various places it comes to about $250 for the whole thing (i think), and will give my old man something to do building an enclosure. I haven't even looked at speakers yet.
I spent more than that on just the transformers!!!! LOL

I just watched a few reviews of it and it seems like a decent little amp. Keep us posted if you build.

For comparison...here's a side by side of what I built and the little amp you're looking at. I have no idea if I could hear any difference either:

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 08:30 AM
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #1532
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRanger331 View Post

F'n SWEET!
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #1533
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
I spent more than that on just the transformers!!!! LOL

I just watched a few reviews of it and it seems like a decent little amp. Keep us posted if you build.

For comparison...here's a side by side of what I built and the little amp you're looking at. I have no idea if I could hear any difference either:
I will get around to it one of these first days...

I dunno why I'm doing it really. What i do can't be called playing. playing around perhaps.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #1534
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
It's ok. I recently shimmed the neck and that improved the playability quite a bit. It's a heavy guitar, and I really prefer a good lightweight, resonant guitar, so it doesn't get a lot of play time.
I can see how it would come across as heavy....all of my playing is done sitting down....medical issues.

I do like the how it plays....I bought it on a whim....I was looking for a strat and came very close, but just for grins I tried this thing and it had to come home.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #1535
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I can see how it would come across as heavy....all of my playing is done sitting down....medical issues.

I do like the how it plays....I bought it on a whim....I was looking for a strat and came very close, but just for grins I tried this thing and it had to come home.
I love it when that happens

Which Jazzmaster is it? Mine is the "Blacktop" model. It's got a humbucker in the bridge position, which sounds good, but is just wrong for a JM. Someday I'll replace it with a real JM pickup.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #1536
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Cleaned up the house and aired out my guitars. I need to set up the tripod next time.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:40 AM   #1537
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I love it when that happens

Which Jazzmaster is it? Mine is the "Blacktop" model. It's got a humbucker in the bridge position, which sounds good, but is just wrong for a JM. Someday I'll replace it with a real JM pickup.
It is brand new, and a Squire...but it was just so nice playing. I went in to buy an RC3 looper (that thing is fun BTW) and had been on a years long hunt for a strat that would talk to me. Came real close on a few, one fender one squire, I was real close on one then the sales guy put this thing in my hand (he actually sold me a cheaper guitar than what I was real close on...I really like that little shop, they sell you what they think you will like not what will make them the most money)....it is just so nice...so I walked out with both the rc3 and the squire....still looking for that strat but now I want to try a Jaguar.

Funny thing is I knew nothing about it....it is some signature model...did not even know who the guy was....after I got home and looked him up and his group Dinosaur Jr. hate the music....but that is 180 from what I play anyway....it is really nice for soft clean, but it does dirty up pretty quick.....I like it quite a bit.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #1538
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,077
Nice! The new Squiers are fantastic guitars, especially for the money.
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #1539
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice! The new Squiers are fantastic guitars, especially for the money.
I have found that to be quite true...while looking at the two strats, they both played so nice....it was actually coming down to color....but this thing was different all together.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #1540
68deluxe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Cleaned up the house and aired out my guitars. I need to set up the tripod next time.

Tell us more about the LP. You did it right and got the fastest color!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #1541
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68deluxe View Post
Tell us more about the LP. You did it right and got the fastest color!
They are both LP's. The first one is a 2010 Junior Billie Joe Armstrong Signature in Vintage Sunburst. Everything is original for now. I've considered doing 50's wiring and maybe changing the cap but I might just keep it original since I like the way it sounds.

I've always wanted a Les Paul Standard in Heritage Cherry Sunburst though. It's an iconic guitar for me. Mine is a 2012 Standard Premium Plus. After only 4 months I decided I didn't care for the pickups and spent a month researching what was out there. I went with a small wider from the MLP forum. He built them and I had them later that week. They're PAF clones. The neck has a Alinco II magnet and the bridge has an Alinco IV. They sound really nice compared to the Alinco V's the BBPro's had. They were too bright and harsh for my taste. The neck has a really nice bluesy sound to it while the bridge has a Crossroads-like sound.

I also changed out the tiny ceramic .022uf capacitors for the same value but paper-in-oil from Tone Factory. Much smoother when rolled down. Replaced the amber top hats with reflectors. The guitar already has Grover locking tuner heads and tone-pros locking bridge and stop bar. I might change them out for Faber or Callaham. The guitar still retains Gibson's Fat Taps, phase and bridge bypass features.

I've been looking at Ebony Customs but I think I'd like a '55 Gold Top.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #1542
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,638
I picked up an acoustic back before Christmas. I hadn't been playing for a few years and wanted to get back into it, even if just a little. And it didn't take long to start thinking "I wish I had an electric" again. My acoustic is an "electric/acoustic", and I had been eager to try RockSmith on my 360, so I found a copy. But, it doesn't really work with my electric acoustic. The low "E" string won't pick up unless I pluck it like the fist of an angry god! So, I need an electric to play RockSmith!

I can't really afford or justify anything "nice" right now. And haven't had much luck finding something cheap that I like. But today I found a Washburn maverick BT-4 in decent condition, just needs new strings, fir about $80! I've been reading up on it a little on the usual sites. Seems some people really like them.

Anyone here got any experience with them?

Same color and H/S/S layout as this one:

Old 03-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #1543
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,638
Well, I went back yesterday and bought the Wasburn Maverick BT-4. I couldn't pass up that price. It's got a few nicks and dings in it, but it works well, and plays nicely. The neck and frets are in good shape too. I've only spent a little time playing around with it so far, but I like it for what it is. Works much better for Rocksmith than my acoustic too!

Picked up some new strings for it, but haven't gotten around to them yet, gonna need to set the intonation as well, it's off. But the action is very low with no buzzing.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #1544
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,378
Went and aw Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers last week. I don't think physics apply to this old guy when he's holding a guitar. The materiel isn't that impressive, or the speed though he's plenty fast, it's the precision. Every song sounds like it was just distilled through 1000 hours of studio editing. No missed or muddy notes, every bend flows into the song like it's meant to be right fucking there, at that tone for now and all of time.

Think that's been used some?

Rest of the band is just as impressive

Go see him if you like a guitar being wrung out like it should be.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #1545
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,236
Just picked up a TC Electronics Flashback Delay (not the X4 model) Really impressive bit of kit. Now I need a Plexi pedal. I have it narrowed down to 2:

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret

PlexiTone (big one)

Any thoughts on either of these??

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: