ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #16681
Skuli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Cool2

Yes, especially the ones that step out in front of you trying to flag the cab that is bearing down on you from behind! Patients people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterBroil View Post
The worst thing is the J walking pedestrians[/QUOTE

Yes, peds are the worst. The one thing I worry about the most is hitting a damn pedestrian. When I’m filtering along through traffic I always scan the sidewalk and possible ped infiltration points for one that looks like a potential darter. It is amazing that some people here in the city have no concept of what is using the street other than cars. When people step off the sidewalk mid-block from behind a parked cargo van are they really assuming that if the cars are stopped nothing else is moving? Don’t they ever see the bicycles, motorcycles, rollerbladers, hotdog carts, horses, or whatever other street user that’s not as wide as a car? People just walk on out there without so much as a look in the direction of traffic.
I really do keep it slow, like under 10mph if I don’t have good visibility of potential threats. I figure any speed is better than 0.

Anyone know what sort of blame would be applied for a J-walking incident involving a motorcycle moving through stopped traffic? I know that when a car strikes a ped that darts out from a parked car or whatever the driver is usually not found at fault. It is illegal for a pedestrian to cross if a crosswalk is provided at each end of the block.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #16682
Skuli
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question Taking it off-road

So where do all you dual sport riders go around here to get muddy? Springs coming and it's time I get the bike off the road.

Any up for coming along?

Cheers,

B
Old 03-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #16683
ESPRider
Say what again...

Oddometer: 97
Ride report: Daytona

Sorry I missed the snow and crap weather. I got a sunburn in Daytona instead.
Riding back in the morning.
Here are some pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10893...28959809428993
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #16684
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,142
Oh gee, Harleys and cruisers in Daytona, I'm shocked!

More importantly, where are the freaken' bikini pictures??!!

I see lots of jackets, a little cool down there?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #16685
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 3,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuli View Post
So where do all you dual sport riders go around here to get muddy?

Cheers,

B
next door!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #16686
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
next door!

Nice helmet.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #16687
rthuey
twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
next door!
snip
looks like you found a buyer for the other bike
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #16688
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
So where do all you dual sport riders go around here to get muddy? Springs coming and it's time I get the bike off the road.

Any up for coming along?

Cheers,

B
i don't know the answer to this but i'm interested, so keep me in mind if you figure anything out.
1978 Suzuki GS 1000 (perma project)
the schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #16689
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,590
Quote:

Any up for coming along?

Cheers,

B

Queens?:

CB 12 seeks answer to dirt bike dispute

Community members think Railroad Park may be a fitting place for dirt bike riders. Photo by Rich Bockmann

Community Board 12’s third-largest park may just end up being a solution to southeast Queens’ two-wheeled problem.

Areas like Brookville Park and thoroughfares such as Linden Boulevard are free-wheeling hot spots for people riding dirt bikes, community members said.
In his role as the new chairman of CB 12’s Parks Committee, Greg Mays hit the ground running earlier this year by taking a survey of area parks.

One park nestled behind the Locust Manor Long Island Rail Road station by Rochdale Village, he found, presented possibilities.

“Railroad Park, for those of you who don’t know, is the third-largest park in Community Board 12. You don’t know it because Railroad Park is a forest,” he said Oct. 17 as he gave his committee report.

Mays said he was working to find out what could be done with the untamed park, and when one community member suggested it might be a good place for dirt bikers to ride safely, Mays said he thought it was an interesting idea worth exploring.

“Certainly, we need to get those folks off Linden Boulevard, popping wheelies,” he said.

Off-road vehicles are not simply a nuisance, they can often be deadly.

In July, a 33-year-old man was killed when the all-terrain vehicle he was riding on the sidewalk across from Roy Wilkins Park struck a metal pole.

Dirt bikes were also a topic of discussion at September’s 105th Precinct council meeting.

“This year already, I’ve had two people die running from us while we’re trying to stop them on these things. Young kids. I mean it’s silly, its stupid,” said Deputy Inspector Joseph Courtesis.

The commanding officer said police have a chase protocol and would only go after riders for violations such as not wearing a helmet if it were safe to do so.

“If there’s a way I can get them safely while they’re off the bikes this and that ... but theyre going run from us,” he said. “The second we light those lights up, it’s a game for them and honestly I think they do it just for the sport of running.”

Mays said Railroad Park is now owned by three different entities and the first step would be assembling and acquiring the land, an effort he said had the support of the Queens parks commissioner.
http://www.timesledger.com/stories/2...2_10_25_q.html

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #16690
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,023
The nearest real offorading that is legal is in the Pine Barens of NJ. There are hundreds of miles of dirt (sand roads) that are legal to ride and test your skills. Just make sure you have knobbies on, a Tourance or equivalent will not work down there, but a TKC-80 will.
If you are new to offroad riding you might want to check out the Pine Barren Adventure School. http://www.pinebarrensadventures.com/index.html
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #16691
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 3,966
lol the "only real offroading" if you like in NYC and like to pay for every activity you make..

Or you could just try to make some friends few miles north where there are plenty of dirt trails to have lot of fun.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #16692
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Thanks Colin (sp?). Good Karma for you my friend.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #16693
kcieslicki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Question

Probably not the place for this post, but any recommendations for an oil drain pan. The last two I've purchased have both leaked before I made the trip to empty them.
kcieslicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #16694
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcieslicki View Post
Probably not the place for this post, but any recommendations for an oil drain pan. The last two I've purchased have both leaked before I made the trip to empty them.
My secret? Don't store/transport used oil in the drain pan. I have a generic CheckerZoneBoys pan I drain into, then I dump it into empty 2.5 or 5 gal commercial fryer oil containers. They're free for the asking at pretty much any restaurant in town.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #16695
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlearl476 View Post
My secret? Don't store/transport used oil in the drain pan. I have a generic CheckerZoneBoys pan I drain into, then I dump it into empty 2.5 or 5 gal commercial fryer oil containers. They're free for the asking at pretty much any restaurant in town.
+1

Same, empty into a 5 gal. cooking oil container, then transport to any gas station or oil change place, wait for them to dump it, and take it home to use again.

I also do my cars, so need a decent capacity to store used oil.

Donut places, Chinese restaurants, etc. all use lots of oil, so plenty of containers.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote