Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #76
brainfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I have a little over 1000 miles on the A3's- BMW 1200GSA. Still like them better than the A2's. No issues on dirt/rock roads and pavement. Would definitely purchase again.
brainfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #77
betitou
Thumperized!

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfreeze View Post
I have a little over 1000 miles on the A3's- BMW 1200GSA. Still like them better than the A2's. No issues on dirt/rock roads and pavement. Would definitely purchase again.
Thanks for sharing!
And thanks CompAcc for the video!

BTW, let me ask all of you a question.
Last year, I bought an used V-Strom 650 that came with Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires.
The back tire was perfect, but the front was really worn, so I had to replace it immediately.
Since I got the back good, I put the same on the front.
Now my back tire is getting worn by the center band (we say "getting squared" in Spanish), and I'm thinking about mixing Pirelli on the front and Anakee 3 in the back.
I really like Pirelli's grip on road, but commuting reduces the lifetime of Pirelli's back a lot.

Do you think that this Anakee 3 would be better for commuting?
Of course, I would change the front to Anakee 3 when it's worn too.
I don't really like the idea of mixing tires, but if the front tire has better grip than the back, I think I don't feel unstability or any risk of slipping...

Thanks in advance!
2005 Yamaha XT 660 R
Hello from Spain!
betitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #78
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
I've got a couple hundred miles on my Anakee 3's. The have very good feel and seem to have plenty of grip. It's pretty cold here (30's) and the roads suck. But then again new tires always feel better than the old ones. Given that, I really do like these new Michelins.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #79
Tonyco
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hi,
I just put 300 km on mine Anakee 3 on Varadero '10. The temperature was between 13 - 18 C and I ride on good roads and bumpy roads also with water and sand. I try different manoeuvres hard stopping corners with water and dirt and the tires are just fine excellent grip in all situations. Never slept the tire perfect grip. I don't go offroad very often and only on hard gravel so I am not worried of this. I am happy with Anakee 3 so I recommended this set of tyres.
Tonyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #80
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
I'm in the market for a street oriented tire right now and just came across these.

Quick question for those who've ridden them, is the front tire profile the same (or at least FEEL the same) as the Anakee 2s ? I'm always amazed in tire threads how grip and durability is discussed to death and handling characteristics seem to go ignored to some degree. I've tried the 2s ( 19" front) and found the turn in to be relatively quick and progressive say compared to a Tourance or even the Pilot Roads which are more linear in response. This can be a good or bad thing depending on your riding style and preferences, but for sake of comparison where are the 3s at? Specifically compared to 2s or tourances. (in other words saying "they handle great" doesn't tell me a thing about how they handle great)

Any detailed feedback in this regard is greatly appreciated

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #81
SidewinderX
Hey, watch this!

Oddometer: 1,136
I just received my set from CompAcc today.

They look very unique. They actually remind me of the Pilot Trail 3 but just more aggressive.

Now I just need to burn off my Anakee II's....
Old 03-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #82
HankMayhem
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Anakee 3s on an F650 Dakar

Greetings. I have about 300 miles on a new set. Replacing a set of Metzler Tourances that never let me down. The Anakees give a smoother and quieter ride on pavement. Not sure of the stickiness on a steep apex, as I don't ride like that anymore. They do feel a little more like a set of sportbike tires. I found them to be comparable to the Tourances on Buzzard's Lagoon; a steep, rutted fire road that I frequent in the Santa Cruz mountains.

More Later...
HankMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #83
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,152
For those who are interested, here is a blog entry from an individual who has put over 7,000 miles of mostly highway miles on a set of Anakee 3s, including pictures of the tread (which looks great, but notice he runs his tire pressure pretty high). He rode a GSA in the Iron Butt Rally in 2011 using Anakee 2s.

His comments:
Quote:
Handling is great and the new tread design seems less noisy and smoother than the Anakee IIs. Cornering, dry or wet, is rock solid. And, I did notice better handling in the couple of times I went off pavement into the loose stuff.

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #84
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
For those who are interested, here is a blog entry from an individual who has put over 7,000 miles of mostly highway miles on a set of Anakee 3s, including pictures of the tread (which looks great, but notice he runs his tire pressure pretty high). He rode a GSA in the Iron Butt Rally in 2011 using Anakee 2s.

His comments:
well they get great mileage on the pavement for that guy.
geez i think he went straight down the hiway the whole time.

he should just get a pure street tire next time.
just use pilot roads or even marathons and stop with the image of riding with ADV tires that looks like you could go off-road.

would love to hear more from those who ride this tire off-road and how these tires corner when pushed in the dirt.

anyone can put on a new tire and say they work great on the pavement.
seems people see these tires and think wow what a great street tire.
maybe that was Michelin's plan the whole time.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 12:43 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #85
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,885
Which!

Is best off road, 3s or 2s? Thats what I want to know. Been happy with the 2s for years but about to buy 2 new rears and can't seem to decide.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #86
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
well they get great mileage on the pavement for that guy.
geez i think he went straight down the hiway the whole time.

he should just get a pure street tire next time.
just use pilot roads or even marathons and stop with the image of riding with ADV tires that looks like you could go off-road.

would love to hear more from those who ride this tire off-road and how these tires corner when pushed in the dirt.

anyone can put on a new tire and say they work great on the pavement.
seems people see these tires and think wow what a great street tire.
maybe that was Michelin's plan the whole time.
Look, I was just throwing the info out there as a data point that some here may be interested in.

I would argue that a 90/10 tire is a street tire. The fact of the matter is most people who own bikes that this tire is being marketed towards, ride most of their miles on pavement and ARE concerned with how many miles they are going to get before having to get new tires. The reason to get a 90/10 tire is because you would also like the tire to get reasonable traction and have reasonable turning ability when you do go off road. Having said that, I am going to choose the 90/10 tire that gives me the most confidence off road which is why I preferred Anakee 2s over Tourances.

If your primary concern is off road handling, and you don't care how many miles you are going to get out of it, then I suspect there are much better tires out there for you than the Anakee 3.

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #87
BordenBmw
TheFrenchRider

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Is best off road, 3s or 2s? Thats what I want to know. Been happy with the 2s for years but about to buy 2 new rears and can't seem to decide.
From what I've been reading over the last few months, they are as good off-road but better and not as noisy on road; Michelin says then are better off road by 10 % and 20% better mileage. I don't think you can go wrong with the Anakee 3 if you are looking for a replacement for the Anakee 2.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #88
tagentry
Northwest Silverback

Oddometer: 26
Puke

Mounting a set of these tomorrow. I've chunked both Shinko and Dunlop rears now. Used to race on Michelin Pilots, going to try these to see how I like them. I still plan on a set of Conti TKCs for the Touratech rally in June, but I will try these out on various conditions until then. I'll update in a couple of months.
tagentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #89
StormShearon
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I put a set on my Tiger 800 and now have about 300 miles on them. I like them better than the stock Pirellis (which were just fine). They do make a bit of noise on the freeway, but nothing objectionable - at least to me. Grip is good and the bike feels better planted in corners than before. I am hoping they wear better - that is do not flat spot as easily as the Pirellis.
StormShearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #90
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlagg42 View Post
Look, I was just throwing the info out there as a data point that some here may be interested in.

I would argue that a 90/10 tire is a street tire. The fact of the matter is most people who own bikes that this tire is being marketed towards, ride most of their miles on pavement and ARE concerned with how many miles they are going to get before having to get new tires. The reason to get a 90/10 tire is because you would also like the tire to get reasonable traction and have reasonable turning ability when you do go off road. Having said that, I am going to choose the 90/10 tire that gives me the most confidence off road which is why I preferred Anakee 2s over Tourances.

If your primary concern is off road handling, and you don't care how many miles you are going to get out of it, then I suspect there are much better tires out there for you than the Anakee 3.
you seem to be taking my feedback of that guys review as something personal i've said against you? please do not. i was not meant as such.

thanks for the link & yes i'd like to hear more about dirt use of these tires as they are STILL listed as ADV tire not street tires.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote