ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #46
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!
 
Lobby's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Oddometer: 26,861
Ooooh!
__________________
Gracie's Gold
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #47
enduro963
Pasion por las Motos!
 
enduro963's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post



Beautiful bike.

That license plate is huge!!
enduro963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #48
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjon View Post
No, I don't think so, the whole of the muffler is replaced when fitting the HP/Akra can, and they(AKRA) make no mention of it containing a cat.
The cat as always is in the tube where the two sides merge.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #49
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by schisi View Post
(iphone photos)
Well with 40k to burn, I am sure you could get better phones than iPhone5 (of which there are plenty now) or a proper digital camera to get less grainy photos next time eh?

(not sure you'll appreciate the joke, sorry it is how I talk, yet indeed the photos are very grainy...)

BTW again: GREAT bike, congratulations to both.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #50
marcus-st12
frenchy
 
marcus-st12's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ONT,CANADA
Oddometer: 209
No spoked wheels? Just asking.
marcus-st12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #51
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus-st12 View Post
No spoked wheels? Just asking.
They are extra like the last 9 years.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #52
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus-st12 View Post
No spoked wheels? Just asking.
I've rarely seen spoked wheels while riding in europe. There costly in the states but I suspect there even higher priced over there.
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue
Cagiva Gran Canyon Italiano/rosso...for sale
Honda CL 360/orange...for sale
marty hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #53
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
I've rarely seen spoked wheels while riding in europe. There costly in the states but I suspect there even higher priced over there.
They are a bit more than 400 euros.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #54
RichBMW OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
I've rarely seen spoked wheels while riding in europe. There costly in the states but I suspect there even higher priced over there.
They are around 200 IIRC, but I went with cast wheels as they're easier to clean, and look sportier
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GS LC TE
2010 BMW HP2 MEGAMOTO
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #55
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
They are around 200 IIRC, but I went with cast wheels as they're easier to clean, and look sportier
And they have the air valve facing the side, so easier to check pressure/add air.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #56
RichBMW OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
And they have the air valve facing the side, so easier to check pressure/add air.
Exactly. The spokes have the traditional valves
__________________
2014 BMW R1200GS LC TE
2010 BMW HP2 MEGAMOTO
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #57
NLS
My bike needs washing...
 
NLS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: GREECE!
Oddometer: 2,701
It's the first time I am looking at a GS with cast wheels.

IMHO the last version of cast, sucked. I always thought of GS having spoke wheels.

But having spoke wheel bikes for the last 11 years, I can say that indeed spokes are a pain in the a**. Since my enduro is like 1% of the bike's life nowadays (something I am ashamed off, but Real Life makes its own rules without asking me), I think I would go with cast wheels this time because:

- Of the small percentage of personal enduro as mentioned above.
- Of them being lighter.
- Of them being a more proper color (graphite ain't they?) unlike the spokes that do NOT come in black yet.
- Of them being more stable. Spoke wheels are inherently off balance to a greater extend.
- It comes cheaper! (BMW since they are factory option should NOT charge for them, but they do)
- The new design is actually very nice and the thin brackets "simulate" spoke wheel look to a point.
__________________
NLS
My Blog
When the going gets tough, the tough get going...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #58
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
And they have the air valve facing the side, so easier to check pressure/add air.
I never knew that. The spokes do get in the way at times.
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue
Cagiva Gran Canyon Italiano/rosso...for sale
Honda CL 360/orange...for sale
marty hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #59
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe
 
Hay Ewe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: FNQ - AUS
Oddometer: 2,204
.
__________________
Moments before you die, your life will flash before your eyes - make sure the film is worth watching - my Grandad
I like your logic - its alternative - Ninja Wranga 03-Aug-13
WWBD? -
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷

Hay Ewe screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 03:47 AM
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #60
nwpa
Generally amused
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Along the Great Lakes
Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
It's the first time I am looking at a GS with cast wheels.

IMHO the last version of cast, sucked. I always thought of GS having spoke wheels.

But having spoke wheel bikes for the last 11 years, I can say that indeed spokes are a pain in the a**. Since my enduro is like 1% of the bike's life nowadays (something I am ashamed off, but Real Life makes its own rules without asking me), I think I would go with cast wheels this time because:

- Of the small percentage of personal enduro as mentioned above.
- Of them being lighter.
- Of them being a more proper color (graphite ain't they?) unlike the spokes that do NOT come in black yet.
- Of them being more stable. Spoke wheels are inherently off balance to a greater extend.
- It comes cheaper! (BMW since they are factory option should NOT charge for them, but they do)
- The new design is actually very nice and the thin brackets "simulate" spoke wheel look to a point.
It really comes down to personal preference. The weight issue has been discussed at length in other threads. Aluminum rims are cheaper, but the $500 US extra for spokes is small compared to the full cost if you wanted spokes later.

A couple thoughts though. I've subjected my rims to more abuse on the road than off. The potholes around here can be awful, with deep, sharp edges. My light off-roading is probably easier on rims than a 40mph impact on a road crater.

And I just liked the way the spoked wheels look, even "silver". I can make a practical justification for it, but like so many things it comes down to what looks better without sacrificing anything (except $$$).
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014