Old 03-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #646
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
saved a lot of money with gieco?
just have to wait till tomorrow !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #647
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,161

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
just have to wait till tomorrow !
johnson357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #648
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson357 View Post
Never mind its here today.. ANOTHER rally option in Baja ! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869867
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #649
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,161
Just saw that........I need to move west so I can afford to do more of these.
johnson357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #650
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
As much as many of you wish NORRA would become a true Rally race, it just ain't going to happen. Adding the modern scooters was an after thought to get the entries up to make the event profitable. The event has always been about vintage vehicles.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #651
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
What's that saying? "Money walks and Strongbad talks (on the internet)"? No, thats not quite right....

There are 35 bikes entered and 3 of them are vintage. The cars are 52 vintage and 34 modern. So that makes the event 66 modern and 55 vintage. Maybe it has been all about vintage vehicles, but thats not the case any longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
As much as many of you wish NORRA would become a true Rally race, it just ain't going to happen. Adding the modern scooters was an after thought to get the entries up to make the event profitable. The event has always been about vintage vehicles.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #652
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
As much as many of you wish NORRA would become a true Rally race, it just ain't going to happen.
Yep, vintage is at the heart of this event. And for those in a single-seater vintage car, you might want to buy your roadbook holder and rally odometer now, before the USA supplies are depleted! It's hell trying to hold the roadbook in one hand and steer with the other!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #653
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
So that makes the event 66 modern and 55 vintage. Maybe it has been all about vintage vehicles, but thats not the case any longer.
A count of vehicles cannot reveal the philosophy of NORRA. The conclusion drawn is the one you have put into the data, not what the data has shown to you.

Quote:
With the new poker run option
New, as in, not at all related to the "X" poker run class of 2011?

Quote:
not ...a true rally race
In my last decade, I've seen a lot of people proclaim what is and isn't "real rally"...

pavement = not real rally
motorcycle = not real rally
closed courses = not real rally
not route book based = not real rally
no bivuack = not real rally
no recce = not real rally
recce = not real rally
no pacenotes = not real rally
pacenotes = not real rally
no codriver = not real rally
AWD = not real rally
not two weeks = not real rally
stages under 25 miles = not real rally
no night stages = not real rally
single stage, repeated multiple times = not real rally

I haven't met the expert yet who can tell me what real rally is. Beyond "multiple timed sections that are added up" it's tough to nail it down.

Quote:
I for one am kind of disapointed in their non action to enact a rooadbook only class
Anyone that wants change in anything should work toward that goal. I would begin by drafting the rules of the routebook only class, and then including in the draft your proposed solutions to all the potential problems that may occur. Send that off to NORRA and then arrange to meet with the NORRA people to talk about it.

Alternatively, don't bring your GPS. Find some buddies who also don't bring their GPS. If no GPS is exactly what you want, do that, compare times, and have some beers at the finish.

Cheers,
Anders
Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #654
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Who is talking about philosophy? I'm talking about money. Mr Pearlman presumably like it or he wouldn't keep changing the rules to add more people on modern equipment.

The "data" shows that more people on modern equipment are giving him money than those on vintage equipment. If you don't think that gives them the ability to shape the future of the event, you're mistaken.

Or maybe by vintage you guys mean the drivers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
A count of vehicles cannot reveal the philosophy of NORRA. The conclusion drawn is the one you have put into the data, not what the data has shown to you.
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #655
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

I love the vintage idea in fact I fully plan on getting myself a vintage sled this summer to start working on it to race in the full spirit of the idea. However they opened up the modern classes so why not open up the rules and classes to accept us looking for a navigation rally and our requests?

I am not dissing the rally or your employment there. I am voicing opinons that others have as well concerning the subjects of roadbook navagation, GPS's and cheating. Yes many of us believe there was alot of it last year.

Last year...
I didnt bring my gps didnt own one ..
My sponsor Tripy has that covered but If I do race NORRA this year it will be used only as a backup tripmaster or cap heading reference as it has no North American basemap.

I did finish... not as high as I would have liked

I as well as quite a few racers here are just looking to have a very easily enacted class of

ROADBOOK NAV ONLY

The rules are simple.. no GPS allowed on vehicles in that class, only perhaps a baja almanac and an IRC beeper sized tracker.

Why has the organization not started a suggestion thread here or on race dezert (not your new rule thread) that norra takes questions and anwsers or suggestions with Mike answering directly?

One burning question is why he decided to charge entry fees to 2 wheels as much as 4 when EVERY SINGLE other big race gives breaks to the guys and girls on bikes?

I stopped competing or trying to promote rallymoto out here in the west just for the lack of roadbooks and the stages being ribboned off. I still have the MT HOOD stages in my roll chart. If I want to race in the dirt fast I have many many options from 50 dollar entry at califonia city for a 200 mi race all the way to a Vegas to Reno for 500.00 entry (ironman)

Thank you for being the champion of all things rally but I am not the only that feels this way.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #656
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
I am not dissing the rally or your employment there.
Whoa... I have a non-racing, non-motorcycle, non-rally day job like the rest of you FFs. Yeah, I don't have to pay for lodging during the race but none of us are picking up W2's from NORRA, I use a week of my vacation time to go down there, just like all the racers do. I'm there for the fun.

Quote:
ROADBOOK NAV ONLY

The rules are simple.. no GPS allowed on vehicles in that class, only perhaps a baja almanac and an IRC beeper sized tracker.
So, you see, that's kind of my point. You think it's simple, but even the one sentence rule you've proposed has multiple 'maybe's and unresolved questions, no discussion of procedures, penalties, allowances, classes, groupings, scoring, safety issues, or anything else.

Rally has built-in complexities that stem from the very nature of what is being accomplished. There is no way to take a race across 1000 miles, with 100 teams, and hundreds of vehicles, and hundreds of people, precisely timed to the minute, across two time zones, spread out over nearly a week, with exotic and historic race equipment, through inhospitable terrain, owned by a variety of governmental bodies and private organizations, with a variety of levels of racing experience, with satellite only communication... and make it "simple".

100 yard dash? Simple race.
Go cart track at the local fair grounds? Pretty simple race.
Rally raid? Not simple, and just can't be.

Anyone that gives a long hard think about what it takes to make a rally happen will soon realize that the task actually has a lot in common with a military exercise, and if it wasn't a race, then it would be the kind of task that you would have the National Guard handle.

Quote:
Why has the organization not started a suggestion thread ....

One burning question is why ....
These are easy to answer: because they're busy trying to organize a race, and also, they have day jobs and families. If anyone has burning questions or wants to submit suggestions.... use a phone and call them. It's that simple. I'd be surprised if after doing so you weren't satisfied with the answer. :)

Cheers,
Anders
Old 03-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #657
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #658
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
I am in for the FUN!!!
let's get back to the Rally!!!!! and have some fun!!!!!!
this can only get better.........................

I for one have went 100MPH over most of Baja for years.
Now it's time to slow it down and use a ROADBOOK and
challenge my self. If you have the passion for riding then join in the FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Wish Race list for 2013
( Lets hope this 50+year old body can hold up !! )

April=NORRA mex1000
JUNE=Score Baja 500
SEPT=NORRA Mexicana Logistics 300”
OCT=BAJA RALLY de MOTOS
NOV=SCore Baja 1000

Baja Dad screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 01:49 PM
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #659
Idahombre
Likes easy girls!

Oddometer: 72
Wow.
Just for the record, I'm riding my 09' 450X in the Mexican 1000. Not because I care to win or lose. But only because I figure it's a good time to do a rip down the peninsula on a route that will have some traffic coming up behind me to relay a message or help, in case I do something dumb. So there. Ha! It's not my first rodeo in Baja or 1000+ mile dirt bike ride.
Anyone else have this attitude towards the Mexican 1000?
Old 03-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #660
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post

April=NORRA mex1000
JUNE=Score Baja 500
SEPT=NORRA Mexicana Logistics 300
OCT=BAJA RALLY de MOTOS
NOV=SCore Baja 1000

damn.... wish I had that kind of money....