Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by vector_dumb View Post
Marmot Never Winter: Suggested by UtahFox
Here's my question and the Campmor answer:

Code:
Q: 
How far down does the zipper go?  All the way to the foot box?
Thanks.
Asked on 3/9/2013

Staff Expert
A:
The zipper on this bag goes down to the ankle.
Looks good to me; enough "box" to keep feet in even when unzipped, but low enough to get feet out.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #32
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 799
To the op... if you decide to go with a warm sleeping pad, I've got a brand new (unopened) Exped Downmat 9M in the flea market.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #33
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninlv View Post
14 years ago my wife and I geared up for ultra light back packing. Our guild was the Back packing light web sight.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html
We purchased Bozeman Mountain works Arc X down Quilts that weighed in at 16 oz each and had a comfort range of 32 to 60 degrees.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00059.html
We later sent them back to Nunatak to have them over stuffed by 2 oz each, making them weigh 18 oz.
Down quilts work as a system. You need a good insolated mattress and a layered clothing system to wear in the quilt when it really gets cold.
I like the Big Agnes Insolated Air Core sleeping pads, they are light, pack small and are comfortable.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore
The Nunatak Arc Alpinist is the top of the line.
http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_alpinist.htm
Jacks-R-Better sells an line of quality down quilts for less money.
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/quilts/
Once I started using the quilt system I never looked back. I have one of each the 18 oz Arc X and a Jacks-R-Better 29 oz winter only quilt.
These items come up for sale on EBay and back packer classifieds from time to time.
You can research the ultra light forums for gear reports that will give you a good idea of what will work for you and at what cost.
thanks ... what an excellent sleeping bag design!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #34
vector_dumb OP
Happier Here

Oddometer: 122
Hi all - I've done a ton of research based on the recommendations on the thread and I think I am going to go with the Lost Ranger 15 from Big Agnes. I have one question out to Gregg at FTC before I buy (just looking to confirm the baffle design). If everything sounds in order I'll order the bag and an insulated air core sleeping pad.

It's funny, I initially discounted BA because of the need for a sleeping pad. I thought it was more of a marketing ploy to sell more of their brand (and maybe it is). On the other hand I did ask about what works as a sleep system, and the folks at BA clearly designed the components to work together. At the moment I never plan to be camping with the bag in temps lower that 32F, and the bag should cut it at those temps with long johns. If I get more into cold weather camping I can pick up an outer bag.

Thanks for all the help and posts. I never would have really considered BA without the suggestions!

WTB: XR650l parts: Rear light TV set, tool bag, rear chain guard. Condition used but decent, price fair.
vector_dumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #35
vector_dumb OP
Happier Here

Just placed my order w/ Gregg at Full Throttle Camping

Large BA Lost Ranger 15 and a long insulated air core pad : 215 shipped.

Nice!

WTB: XR650l parts: Rear light TV set, tool bag, rear chain guard. Condition used but decent, price fair.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #36
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
When riding double we take a light weight fiberfill and a down filled that even through it is a square bag is rated to below freezing temperatures. If it is hot the thin bag goes on the top and when it is cold the down-fill goes up top.

Now the trick to sleeping comfortably when it is getting rather chilly out there. Don't use a air mattress, as the things really have no insulating ability. Get those self inflating foam filled mats and the best are those which are nearly an inch thick.

Then the coupe-e-gras. Find a rock about as big as your head and stand it up beside your campfire. Get it good and warm. If you spit on it and it sizzles it is just a little too warm ... ;-) Then wrap that rock up in a towel and tie it with string. Wrap that string around several times as you don't want that hot rock to escape. Then throw that in the foot of your sleeping bag. It will still be warm in the morning. That makes a bag which is good to freezing ... good to at least Zero.

You know it is cold when you and the wife go for three rocks. Two for one each of your feet ... and another between you for your backside ... :-).

Bye the way ... the run around the tend absolutely naked so that when you get back in the sleeping bag it seems nice and warm ... doesn't work. Don't ask me how I know ...
Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #37
vector_dumb OP
Happier Here

Short follow up:

I know I'm long overdue with a follow up but I did get to use the bag and pad a few times. I did a few nights in the mudroom - probably low 50's and I was a bit on the hot side in the bag - which is odd because I am always on the cool side. A few weeks ago I also camped a couple of nights in the yard. If I recall one night was the upper 30's and one was the low 40's. Both nights I was a pinch cool, but really nothing to complain about. I'm pretty sure with some winter oriented sleeping garments (i.e. longjohns) I could go fairly comfortably to about 30 degrees. Below that it would probably be fairly uncomfortable without some more thought out prep. I feel confident it can be done w/o much of an issue.

I found one thing mildly annoying - not the actual bag/pad's fault.

I bought a cheap bag liner mainly to keep the bag clean. It was an Alps mountaineering something or other. The sleeping bag liner was a 1/4 opening on the opposite side as my sleeping bag zipper. Not a big deal, just turn the liner inside out. Well, no. The outside of the bag liner had a grippy microfiber texture that would catch on my clothes/hair/skin so I couldn't slide in and out of the bag. This made things tough since I sleep on my stomach, there wasn't a ton of room at the head end of my tent (tent is a side opener), and the damn liner would just bunch up on me.

So, my advise would be to get a BA bag/matt and a 1/2 length opening silk liner if you don't have a ton of room at the end of your tent to get in and out of the bag. No complaints with the actual bag/pad. Full throttle camping had just what I wanted at a really good price!!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #38
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
I like the Kelty Cosmic down bags, they are good enough for casual use. About $109 for the 40 degree which is very light and packs small, the 20 degree is around $150. I find I use a thin 40 degree bag 90% of the time. I gave up on packing synthetic bags, they just take up too much room. I have a Kelty bag that weighs well under 2 pounds in the long version and its big enough to cover my 6-4 tall self with 50" shoulders.

Even the best syn bags take up at least twice the room of a feather version..

I still prefer the Exped Syn 9 DLX pads, been using them since 2007. Nice and warm, built in pump, 3.5 thick, big enough for my large ass. Good warranty.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote