Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 AM   #1876
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
CdP already has a new contract in his pocket, I'm 100% sure. So he was in a position to try and see how much KTM would offer him to stay. Only last week team boss Pit Beirer said publicly (on speedweek.de) that "Despres is gambling high". Going public while being in negotiations is a pretty brutal step, that interview was the first indication that things wouldn't turn out well for a Cyril/KTM future.
So who is the contract partner ?
HONDA ?

who else can and want to pay for such a big rally star a lot of money ?

Hondas boss said after the Dakar 2013, that they will come back 2014 with a new team, so i think C.D. will be part of this new team !
With Helder Rodriguez, Filippe Zanol and Sam Sunderland they could be very strong. I think Jonny Campell is not more part for 2014 team.

I think also, it is the last chance for making big money as a motorcycle rally rider for Cyril, may be he signed a contract for 2 years, than he will change to the car section.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #1877
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Red Bull frequently sponsors individuals not just the team.......part of Cyrils attraction to another team will be the Wings he brings with him
I'm not sure if Cyril will keep his wings; the KTM-Red Bull/Pierer-Mateschitz connection is very strong and the new KTM factory team is called Red Bull KTM Factory. I hope for Despres than he can continue the Red Bull sponsorship, though.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 AM   #1878
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Did I miss Joan Barreda's Facebook comment here?

Hi guys!
After these first post-Dakar weeks, it seems that everything begins to be clarified. As you know, this season won't defend the colors of Husqvarna as in the last two years (only have words of gratitude for Husqvarna and BMW Group).
I will continue linked to a project that I love and that we have done to grow from the bottom, two years ago they gave me the opportunity to be part of this project, I believe that now is the time to fight more than ever to achieve the objective that we set ourselves in SPEEDBRAIN.
In Abu Dhabi, we reveal the major changes for what will be an advancement for the next Dakar. (Translated by Bing)

And what is the "major change" they will announce?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:36 AM   #1879
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy1 View Post
Did I miss Joan Barreda's Facebook comment here?

Hi guys!
After these first post-Dakar weeks, it seems that everything begins to be clarified. As you know, this season won't defend the colors of Husqvarna as in the last two years (only have words of gratitude for Husqvarna and BMW Group).
I will continue linked to a project that I love and that we have done to grow from the bottom, two years ago they gave me the opportunity to be part of this project, I believe that now is the time to fight more than ever to achieve the objective that we set ourselves in SPEEDBRAIN.
In Abu Dhabi, we reveal the major changes for what will be an advancement for the next Dakar. (Translated by Bing)

And what is the "major change" they will announce?
Yamaha?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #1880
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Cyril Despres leaves KTM for new challenges

After 12 years and 10 Dakar podiums, 5 of which were victories, Cyril Despres and KTM have jointly agreed to go their separate ways, leaving Cyril free to explore new challenges and new horizons.

Cyril Despres

“I have spent a large part of my career to date with KTM, so as you can imagine it wasn’t a decision that was taken lightly. They were great years, very fruitful, both professionally and personally, and I owe much to everyone at KTM , especially the ‘boss’ Stefan Pierer, whose enthusiasm for the sport of rally-raid matches my own. I would also like to say a big ‘thank you’ to Heinz Kinigadner and Head of Motorsport Pit Beirer and everyone in the rally department. When I arrived it was run by the much missed Hans Trunkenpolz, who taught me how to develop a rally bike, and whose work is now being very ably continued by Stefan Huber. Finally, I say a very fond farewell to my factory mechanic throughout all that time, Roland Bruckner, and my support rider during the last four Dakars, Ruben Faria, who I wish all the best for the future.

Although I say goodbye to all these people, I am sure I will be seeing many of them again very soon, as, with the continued support of my long-time partner Redbull, I will most definitely be staying in the sport. It is a little too early to give any more details, suffice to say I am extremely motivated by the new challenge I am about to embark on and look forward to giving you further details in the very near future."

All the best

Cyril

PS: As the explorer Mike Horn would say "it's not the end of the story, it’s just the beginning of a new one…”.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #1881
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Yamaha?
I'm just seeing Botturi liste at the Italian Baja with a Yamaha
http://www.italianbaja.com/ing/index.asp

Also Zanotti and moreover Peterhansel and Andrea Mayer listed too
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #1882
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
what an interesting day, I hope CdP stays on two wheels
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #1883
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
...Going public while being in negotiations is a pretty brutal step, that interview was the first indication that things wouldn't turn out well for a Cyril/KTM future.
I thought the same thing. The Cyril mention in the KTM press release was not nearly as conciliatory as the one from Cyril thanking all the KTM people.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #1884
Luna Negra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The Red Bull bandana continues!

I was hoping this was not the case.
Luna Negra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #1885
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by escuchamente View Post
Didnt Quinn Cody sign on with speedbrain for the 2013 championship season?
According to Quinn, his contract is through 2014 but Speedbrain does explicitly state that only Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves (as his watercarrier) will be at Abu Dhabi.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #1886
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
According to Quinn, his contract is through 2014 but Speedbrain does explicitly state that only Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves (as his watercarrier) will be at Abu Dhabi.
Didn't Barreda just bail from the SpeedBrain team?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #1887
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 568
This today from Red Bull

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...r-5-dakar-wins

Interesting that it doesn't say if Cyril will keep them as sponsors or not (most probably not is my impression).

Neither does it actually confirm that he's off to Honda (So from that I take it red Bull doesn't know, confirming they are no longer sponsoring him)

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #1888
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Didn't Barreda just bail from the SpeedBrain team?
No. Speedbrain is now completely separated from Husqvarna and BMW and as a standalone team, will homologate and sell the bike they currently run. Barreda and Goncalves stay with Speedbrain. They both have contracts through 2014 as does Quinn Cody. Essentially, Speedbrain becomes what Bordone-Ferrari was attempting to become, a stand alone team running a self built bike. They will continue with Husqvarna motors for the near future. The bike is likely to be rebranded as a Speedbrain 450RR.

I hear rumblings of talks between Speedbrain and "a manufacturer" for a future link up, but the rumors are young and I haven't heard a peep as to who that manufacturer may be.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #1889
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
This today from Red Bull

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...r-5-dakar-wins

Interesting that it doesn't say if Cyril will keep them as sponsors or not (most probably not is my impression).

Neither does it actually confirm that he's off to Honda (So from that I take it red Bull doesn't know, confirming they are no longer sponsoring him)
Red Bull pulled most of that from the press release on Despres' own site but they didn't include Despres' last paragraph which reads:

Quote:
Although I say goodbye to all these people, I am sure I will be seeing many of them again very soon, as, with the continued support of my long-time partner Redbull, I will most definitely be staying in the sport. It is a little too early to give any more details, suffice to say I am extremely motivated by the new challenge I am about to embark on and look forward to giving you further details in the very near future.
The left that out but then added their own speculation about Despres joining Honda. That is a very odd entry from Red Bull.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #1890
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 568
Doyle

I agree, very strange...

Maybe it means "negotiations with Honda and Cyril are still to be concluded?"

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote