Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #1891
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 542
On the Speedbrain situation, they may still have access to the 450 Husky/Bmw motor for a while yet.

I learnt this Sunday that when BMW commissioned the 450 motor (built by Kymco in Taiwan), they ordered 2500 units.

Needless to say there's still a lot of them left in Kymco's warehouse!

CCM here in the UK have just taken a number off their hands for their new 450 adventure and this is how I got the news.

Sitting on the start line of the Brechfa Rally in Wales this weekend, I got chatting to a fellow competitor who it turned out is doing the PR work for CCM for the new bike (his day job) and he explained about the surplus after we got talking about CCM's (my race bike).
MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #1892
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
On the Speedbrain situation, they may still have access to the 450 Husky/Bmw motor for a while yet.

I learnt this Sunday that when BMW commissioned the 450 motor (built by Kymco in Taiwan), they ordered 2500 units.

Needless to say there's still a lot of them left in Kymco's warehouse!

CCM here in the UK have just taken a number off their hands for their new 450 adventure and this is how I got the news.

Sitting on the start line of the Brechfa Rally in Wales this weekend, I got chatting to a fellow competitor who it turned out is doing the PR work for CCM for the new bike (his day job) and he explained about the surplus after we got talking about CCM's (my race bike).
Good stuff. I love this kind of behind the scene's information.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #1893
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,326
Thanks

Thanks for bumping me over here Flood. Didn't see this thread when I got the Despres news early this am. So who will Despres dominate Dakar for now? Lol.
My money is on Honda. Despres/Red Bull may have outgrown KTM. From a marketing standpoint, Despres/Honda/Red Bull is a commercial monster. If Honda decided they wanted him they have resources to could make him an offer he couldn't refuse, financially and race support.

Or...he dropped several hints over the past year about eventually moving to four wheels...
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #1894
Desert Matt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Here's one from left field.

The word Kawasaki was bandied about before with regard to Cyril, but what if it was linked with Speedbrain?

Speedbrain, powered by Monster and Kawasaki. Just like the AMA MX bikes......

Green monster bikes. Energy drink wars really take off......
Desert Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #1895
Arzach
never too old...

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
Thanks for bumping me over here Flood. Didn't see this thread when I got the Despres news early this am. So who will Despres dominate Dakar for now? Lol.
My money is on Honda. Despres/Red Bull may have outgrown KTM. From a marketing standpoint, Despres/Honda/Red Bull is a commercial monster. If Honda decided they wanted him they have resources to could make him an offer he couldn't refuse, financially and race support.

Or...he dropped several hints over the past year about eventually moving to four wheels...
On some of the French press , they seem to favor a run on four wheels if he is to stay with Red Bull .It seems that He is going to test a buggy with Al Attiyah ?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #1896
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
Essentially, the certification ensures that the company is fully documenting their engineering, change management and manufacturing processes to a particular standard.
More like "the certification ensures that the company is capable of digging out some stuff that looks a bit like documentation on the one morning a year the auditor turns up".

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #1897
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 542
Or ISO 9000 can mean....

Our product is shite but it is at least consistently shite to the same bad standard every time and the shittyness is properly documented

Hey Dash, we missed you on Sunday!
MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #1898
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,326
Cyril, KTM, and Red Bull all confirm Cyril and Red Bull are remaining together. Red Bull only partners with athletes/companies with greatest odds of winning, whatever the sport. I wonder if that's the best evidence of a switch to four wheels? KTM is easily the best bet to keep winning Dakar. Whether you feel they're the best bikes, best racing program, the whole thing is skewed in their favour, whatever. It is unlikely that Red Bull would team with anyone other than KTM. They spend buckets of money in the other Dakar classes. Cyril is close with Peterhansel, etc, lots of options to mentor him as a driver. I think I'm putting my money on four wheels.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #1899
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
I really hope he's not going to Honda. I want roddy and pizzo to be the guys that start and finish bringing Honda up to the top again
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #1900
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Or ISO 9000 can mean....

Our product is shite but it is at least consistently shite to the same bad standard every time and the shittyness is properly documented

Hey Dash, we missed you on Sunday!
Yeah, gutted not to be there, but there's bigger fish to fry this year (and the bike's still not back together).

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #1901
Brimstone
Super Duper n00b!

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Or ISO 9000 can mean....

BAHAHAHA! I like that! And yes, it is also a very true statement! I was fortunate enough to work at an ISO:9002 company who did actually manufacture awesome products, but I'm sure there are many out there who don't! At least it is documented! LOL!

Okanagan Valley - KVR Day Trip - First RR!
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #1902
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,298
From Redbull website. Mention Honda.

After twelve years and five Dakar Rally triumphs, Cyril Despres and KTM part ways.
One of the most successful partnerships in the history of the Dakar Rally has come to an end with Cyril Despres announcing his departure from KTM. After enjoying so much success with the Austrian manufacturer it was tough choice to make.

“I have spent a large part of my career to date with KTM, so as you can imagine it wasn’t a decision that was taken lightly. They were great years, very fruitful, both professionally and personally, and I owe much to everyone at KTM.

Cyril’s latest success with KTM came just two months ago when he arrived in Santiago de Chile as the winner of the 2013 Dakar Rally. During an eventful race Cyril was always quick to acknowledge the great support he received from his team.

“Now I’m saying a very fond farewell to my factory mechanic throughout all that time, Roland Bruckner, and my support rider during the last four Dakars, Ruben Faria, who I wish all the best for the future.”

It’s widely expected that Cyril will be back at the 2014 Dakar Rally riding with Honda’s Factory Racing Team. Meanwhile, KTM have confirmed that Kurt Caselli and Chaleco Lopez will join three-time Dakar winner Marc Coma and Ruben Faria to become part of their Red Bull Factory Racing Team.

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...r-5-dakar-wins
Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #1903
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
From Redbull website. Mention Honda.

After twelve years and five Dakar Rally triumphs, Cyril Despres and KTM part ways.
One of the most successful partnerships in the history of the Dakar Rally has come to an end with Cyril Despres announcing his departure from KTM. After enjoying so much success with the Austrian manufacturer it was tough choice to make.

It’s widely expected that Cyril will be back at the 2014 Dakar Rally riding with Honda’s Factory Racing Team. Meanwhile, KTM have confirmed that Kurt Caselli and Chaleco Lopez will join three-time Dakar winner Marc Coma and Ruben Faria to become part of their Red Bull Factory Racing Team.

http://www.redbull.com/en/motorsport...r-5-dakar-wins
Now that last little bit wasn't on the KTM statement - can't be long before an announcement one way or another
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #1904
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Doyle

I agree, very strange...

Maybe it means "negotiations with Honda and Cyril are still to be concluded?"
I would expect it may take some time to conclude, we know that Honda are not keen on other high profile sponsors siting alongside their brand - so how would the Red Bull bandana look - with a rising sun on it?
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #1905
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Don't really have anything to add at this point... Just wanted to say that the reporting, analysis and general discussion here has been great the last few days. With all of these big shakeups happening early in the "off season", I'm curious to see what develops over the next eight months.