ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #211
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
As I try to work out my logistics I still have many questions, if a guy drives to Seattle leave his truck and rides back after the event from Alaska to Seattle how does one get him bag that the chase truck was hauling? do you have to ship it or carry it or something else?

thanks Dave
Hi Dave - You are not going to carry much. My return trip in 2010 looked like this:


Marks load back looked like this:


Basically you haul back your stuff in a medium duffel plus the tires you might need. The KLR used both tires to get back within 1000 miles of this image. I didn't use either of my spares.

In 2006 I used my Gobi panniers as suitcases for the truck hauler and simply clipped them on my bike for the ride home. But I really didn't need the space so I only used a seabag duffel in 2010. Threw it in the truck during the days of the rally, and strapped it to the bike for the trip back to Seattle.


I used that front tire within 200 miles of this image.

You just don't take that much clothing. You wear the same outer gear every day for 3 weeks. That leaves underwear and a couple of layers. Most of us had a simple pant, shoes and top we used in the evenings. But generally, we came in so late we don't bother mostly. Medium duffel is all you need. You carry your spares on your bike always.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #212
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
B1KSOLO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Longmont Colorado
Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Hi Dave - You are not going to carry much. My return trip in 2010 looked like this:


Marks load back looked like this:


Basically you haul back your stuff in a medium duffel plus the tires you might need. The KLR used both tires to get back within 1000 miles of this image. I didn't use either of my spares.

In 2006 I used my Gobi panniers as suitcases for the truck hauler and simply clipped them on my bike for the ride home. But I really didn't need the space so I only used a seabag duffel in 2010. Threw it in the truck during the days of the rally, and strapped it to the bike for the trip back to Seattle.


I used that front tire within 200 miles of this image.

You just don't take that much clothing. You wear the same outer gear every day for 3 weeks. That leaves underwear and a couple of layers. Most of us had a simple pant, shoes and top we used in the evenings. But generally, we came in so late we don't bother mostly. Medium duffel is all you need. You carry your spares on your bike always.
good Info,
thanks Pantah
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #213
officerleroy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
officerleroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: District 37
Oddometer: 130
The waiting list is up to 9 now, pretty impressive. I know it's still a ways out so the final number could be way down, BUT you'd think with as much expressed interest as there is that there would be more events like this. It seems like these big enduro/rally races have gone the way of supermoto in terms of popularity (maybe why I'm starting to get into both so much now...).

So, to the more expreinced guys: what events/races are coming up that could help in the way of getting ready for this. I'm in for Jimmy Lewis' Taste of Dakar, and Im debating doing his rally nav class. I checked out the M1000 and Vegas to Reno. I'm not finding much in the way of actual rallies to get some roadbook/TSD stage practice in. What am I missing?
officerleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #214
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,118
ractice your time keeping at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by officerleroy View Post
The waiting list is up to 9 now, pretty impressive. I know it's still a ways out so the final number could be way down, BUT you'd think with as much expressed interest as there is that there would be more events like this. It seems like these big enduro/rally races have gone the way of supermoto in terms of popularity (maybe why I'm starting to get into both so much now...).

So, to the more expreinced guys: what events/races are coming up that could help in the way of getting ready for this. I'm in for Jimmy Lewis' Taste of Dakar, and Im debating doing his rally nav class. I checked out the M1000 and Vegas to Reno. I'm not finding much in the way of actual rallies to get some roadbook/TSD stage practice in. What am I missing?
There are no events for you to practice that I know of. The JL school will help more than anything I suppose. But the main thing is to practice time keeping. It is more like enduro racing than the Mexican 1000. You can do that on paved roads around home.

You should get a sample route instructions for one of the TSD stages from previous years. Then lay out a route and carefully make a route chart with similar information as your sample. Then go out and ride it attempting to keep the exact pace according to your chart.

Every route instruction will have a distance from start and an assigned speed. The speed will change every few instructions for whatever reason. Your job it to pass every instruction on the exact second you should be there according to your assigned speed and the distance traveled to the instruction. It's all math unless you have a computer to do the math for you.

I just received my Checkmate Enduro computer from ICO Racing today ($299). I will be making local TSD sections all summer and learning how to program the distances and speed of each route instruction into my computer. Then I'll ride them to see if I am programming correctly. If I am, my instrument will constantly tell me if I'm early or late. That allows me to adjust my pace according to the computer display.

The guys that win this thing practice routes and programming all summer advance of the event. They have it dialed when they show up. Both bikes in 2006 were top five overall including the cars with navigators . In 2010 my riding partner was teamed up with a top car crew. The car guys trained my buddy in their time keeping system for weeks in advance in the Arizona desert. After the first day, I knew my buddy had a chance to win. I was shocked! It's all about timekeeping. The navigation isn't that tough after you get used to it on the first day.

Not saying these guys didn't have time keeping snafus and maybe a nav error or two, but they were well ahead of the pack from the first stage.

BTW, you talked me into riding my 690R afterall. I'll mount my nav gear on a Touratech crossbar this weekend and start trying to understand the programming.

The Mexican 1000 is a true race. Very long timed sections and the quickest through wins. The speeds are very high. The navigation fairly straight forward. You can use a roadbook or a GPS. Most seem to like the roadbook best because it shows the hazards coming up.

My son raced it last year on a new KTM 350. They were 4th overall motorcycle and 1st in class with one broken wrist and one run out of gas. He is going back this year to race it solo. I'll drive the chase truck. His co-rider is coming back aboard a new 500. Seems they need about 10mph more to compete for the overall win. The 350 was only good for 96mph on the playa. ... The Alcan 5000 is not that kind of event at all.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #215
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
B1KSOLO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Longmont Colorado
Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
There are no events for you to practice that I know of. The JL school will help more than anything I suppose. But the main thing is to practice time keeping. It is more like enduro racing than the Mexican 1000. You can do that on paved roads around home.

You should get a sample route instructions for one of the TSD stages from previous years. Then lay out a route and carefully make a route chart with similar information as your sample. Then go out and ride it attempting to keep the exact pace according to your chart.

Every route instruction will have a distance from start and an assigned speed. The speed will change every few instructions for whatever reason. Your job it to pass every instruction on the exact second you should be there according to your assigned speed and the distance traveled to the instruction. It's all math unless you have a computer to do the math for you.

I just received my Checkmate Enduro computer from ICO Racing today ($299). I will be making local TSD sections all summer and learning how to program the distances and speed of each route instruction into my computer. Then I'll ride them to see if I am programming correctly. If I am, my instrument will constantly tell me if I'm early or late. That allows me to adjust my pace according to the computer display.

The guys that win this thing practice routes and programming all summer advance of the event. They have it dialed when they show up. Both bikes in 2006 were top five overall including the cars with navigators . In 2010 my riding partner was teamed up with a top car crew. The car guys trained my buddy in their time keeping system for weeks in advance in the Arizona desert. After the first day, I knew my buddy had a chance to win. I was shocked! It's all about timekeeping. The navigation isn't that tough after you get used to it on the first day.

Not saying these guys didn't have time keeping snafus and maybe a nav error or two, but they were well ahead of the pack from the first stage.

BTW, you talked me into riding my 690R afterall. I'll mount my nav gear on a Touratech crossbar this weekend and start trying to understand the programming.

The Mexican 1000 is a true race. Very long timed sections and the quickest through wins. The speeds are very high. The navigation fairly straight forward. You can use a roadbook or a GPS. Most seem to like the roadbook best because it shows the hazards coming up.

My son raced it last year on a new KTM 350. They were 4th overall motorcycle and 1st in class with one broken wrist and one run out of gas. He is going back this year to race it solo. I'll drive the chase truck. His co-rider is coming back aboard a new 500. Seems they need about 10mph more to compete for the overall win. The 350 was only good for 96mph on the playa. ... The Alcan 5000 is not that kind of event at all.
Crap you guys are going to make me break out my old check mate, I'm sure it needs a battery, I haven't used it much since most of the Enduro's went to the qualifier format and I'm not sure I remember were I put. I sign up for this ride because I thought it would be a cheap way to see Alaska and I can see now were gonna have to go racing
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #216
Yukon Jon
Perma-lurker
 
Yukon Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Carnacks, Yukon Territory
Oddometer: 16
Jumping in midstream...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

BTW, you talked me into riding my 690R afterall.
So it looks like I'll be the only one signed up on a 250 for now then?
Guess it was finally time to quit lurking on the forum and jump in.

- Jon
__________________
Back in a town with roads, motorcycles, and beer. Bliss.
Yukon Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #217
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 7,060
250

You better have a big seat .... or a big seat
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #218
Yukon Jon
Perma-lurker
 
Yukon Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Carnacks, Yukon Territory
Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
250

You better have a big seat .... or a big seat

I have a trusty gel pad that's gotten me across the country before, and I'm still young and stubborn enough to think the 250 is a good idea...
Besides, sometimes it's the bad ideas that make for a good time!
__________________
Back in a town with roads, motorcycles, and beer. Bliss.
Yukon Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM   #219
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
B1KSOLO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Longmont Colorado
Oddometer: 352
Bike Choice ?

Okay I need some advice, I was looking for a bike to do the Alcan 5000 and I was leaning towards a new 990 KTM but there are a lot of smoking deals on used low miles BMW 650 GS My question is if I buy the GS would that be enough bike to do the 5000 without any problems or should I go with the KTM 990? The 650 gs would be better for me down here as a daily driver, as always your guys thoughts are greatly appreciated
Dave
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #220
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Stinky151's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 347
I am running it on a KLR 650 of sorts, I think you will be fine. Not that I am speaking from any kind of experience
__________________
Lincoln



"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #221
sailah
Lampin' it
 
sailah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Turning expensive metal into scrap
Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
Okay I need some advice, I was looking for a bike to do the Alcan 5000 and I was leaning towards a new 990 KTM but there are a lot of smoking deals on used low miles BMW 650 GS My question is if I buy the GS would that be enough bike to do the 5000 without any problems or should I go with the KTM 990? The 650 gs would be better for me down here as a daily driver, as always your guys thoughts are greatly appreciated
Dave
I don't think hp has a lot to do with winning. I also wouldn't buy a bike just for this race but thats me.

I've ridden a 650 gs and it's not me. Way different feel from a 990.

The gs would probably make the most sense as a daily driver and are very reliable. Fortunately I have never bought a bike using common sense as the primary motivation. The bikes I enjoy the most are the inverse of that statement
__________________
We're not out here to rough it. We're here to smooth it . Things are rough enough in town.

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #222
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Stinky151's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 347
I have to be honest that my KLR isn't exactly a plain old 650. It's no 990, but I thinks it's gonna get the job done for me.
__________________
Lincoln



"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #223
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
B1KSOLO's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Longmont Colorado
Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I don't think hp has a lot to do with winning. I also wouldn't buy a bike just for this race but thats me.l

Honestly, I will time keep this ride but I'm doing this ride solely for enjoyment, I don't really care where I finish
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 AM   #224
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,118
Picking a Bike for the Alcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
Honestly, I will time keep this ride but I'm doing this ride solely for enjoyment, I don't really care where I finish
To me the event was so unique that I was compelled to buy a motorcycle specifically for it, but would also serve my dreams of riding the long trail.

I read about 2006 Alcan5000 first in 2004 when I found this site. I entered the event just before Xmas. Then I went bike shopping. By February I had a 2004 leftover KTM 950 in my barn with all the goodies required for time keeping and travel.

I must say, that was the best motorcycle purchase ever for me, and I pretty much used it up. I just sold it last summer. That bike took me all over the continent many many times, including two Alcan5000s and four MotoGP's. 1000's of miles of dirt roads in the high deserts around four corners and similar paths in the northern plains. Northern Maine timber lands too.

I would have bought another, but much of the riding I do today has more technical sections and I needed I bike I could pick up out of the mud easier. So I have 300lb motorcycles now.
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #225
guymanbro
da Vermonster
 
guymanbro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Suburb of Podunk
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1KSOLO View Post
Okay I need some advice, I was looking for a bike to do the Alcan 5000 and I was leaning towards a new 990 KTM but there are a lot of smoking deals on used low miles BMW 650 GS My question is if I buy the GS would that be enough bike to do the 5000 without any problems or should I go with the KTM 990? The 650 gs would be better for me down here as a daily driver, as always your guys thoughts are greatly appreciated
Dave
Get the bike you want to own and set it up for the needs of the Alcan. I haven't done an Alcan since they first had a moto category in 2002. I rode a KLR and it did fine, though I was riding closer to redline than my twin-cylinder mounted competitors. Unless they've made it drastically harder in the moto class than it was in 2002, you'll be fine on either the GS or the KTM, so go with your gut.
__________________
da Vermonster
http://www.kirstyrock.com

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014